Author Topic: Prince George of Greece & Princess Marie Bonaparte  (Read 270393 times)

Offline historylover

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Writer and Editor
Re: Prince George of Greece & Princess Marie Bonaparte
« Reply #270 on: May 20, 2008, 06:43:23 AM »
[
Uncles marrying nieces and aunts marrying nephews? Completely beyond the pale! I can't imagine anyone findiing that acceptable. If it took place it must have been centuries ago. First cousins are a different matter, though I'm a little squeamish there as well.
[/quote]

I absolutely agree, Bookworm!

Offline historylover

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Writer and Editor
« Reply #271 on: May 21, 2008, 07:22:45 AM »
Sorry that I got a little OT last night.  I was only up to that part of the thread.  Now I've read it all.

Marie was certainly a very interesting person.  I was a bit surprised to learn about her frigidity because the author of
'Phillip and Elizabeth' calls her a nymphomaniac!  Maybe she took her attempts to recover too far...?

I'd love to see the film about her but it only seems to be available in French.  I can't find one with English sub-titles.

I'm also interested in reading the biography.

Best,
Lisa
www.bookaddiction.blogspot.com

Offline britt.25

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: May 27, 2008, 07:44:34 AM »
I really would like to recommend you the book by Celia Bertin on her, it's definitely the best, if you are interested. It is so fascinating how she changed her life being in her fourties after having spent are very dark and loney childhood my many fears and psychiatric problems. It is a pity that there are still people, who want to tell superficially that she was "crazy". I do not think so at all, she was only a very sensitive person and suffered a lot that her mother died after having given birth to her. But one has to read that book onself, because I think her character is not to explain in afew sentences and is quite complex.
The film on her was nice. It was several times in french-German television Arte, but it was on German, not in french. I don't know, if there is a DVD with the film by the time. It might be that it is only in french...
About the question with her beauty I would say that she was indeed very beautiful in her young, even when she was always jealous of her cousin Jeanne, of whom she thought that she was more pretty than her. I think his was an inferiorty complex of her, because Jeanne was -objectively seen, so I would say- not more pretty at all. But it's indeed a face that Marie did not age too well, I would say. I have also read that in Bertins book, where there was a statement like "She rather looks as old as she is or older...". The pictures of a middle ages and older Marie show that through her pretty smile she did not age too well, which is indeed a pity, I would say.
And now concerning her frigidity and nymphomanity. To say what I think, it is my opinion that both phenomens do stand in connection with another, if you transfer them on Marie and her life.
It's a face that she was indeed suffering from frigidity during her whole life, and was never really "recovered" from that problem. Firstly she let make operations at her body to correct anatomic distances / ;D ::)), then later she took analyses with Freud. She learned to find out more about that problem and also about the background (psychoanalytical explanations for that problem etc), but she never recovered as far as I know. It was therefore some kind of consequence that she tried to "find" her sexual feelings (to say it concretely: Orgasm) by having different men, whom she thought could give her what she wanted, but fact she never found at the men what she wanted, was never satisfied. So she was indeed sexually very active, but did not feel what she should have felt as woman or wanted to feel...
That is what I think, and if you read the book, you'll understand all of that....
La vérité est plus importante que l'amour

Marie Bonaparte (1882-1962)

Offline britt.25

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: May 27, 2008, 01:33:23 PM »
Puh, I have read this text again and I have to apologize for all those horrible typing mistakes.
La vérité est plus importante que l'amour

Marie Bonaparte (1882-1962)

Offline dmitryalex777

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 29, 2008, 05:02:05 PM »
Excuse me, but I have some questions concerning it.

Was the  marriage of Maria Bonaparte and her Greek prince recognized as morganatic?

Probably, her father could name himself as a prince, but he hadn't any drop of blue aristocratic blood. Her father, the grandfather and the great-grandfather were from simple country family and also married simple girls who were not aristocrats and even fine noblemen.

Probably, her great-grandfather was the brother of Napoleon, but himself Lucien Bonaparte was never married to a princess or the girl from aristocratic family. Lucien Bonaparte was twice married to very modest women who had no attitude to the nobility and aristocracy.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 05:03:44 PM by dmitryalex777 »

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: June 30, 2008, 05:23:53 AM »
Some of her noble ancestors were except Bonaparte and Ramolino(who were patricians and minor nobles in Italy) were Colonna d'Istria family(don't know if they are and how connected to THE Colonna family),Pozzo di Borgo family,Rochetta della Pieve family,Marquises Malaspina di Verrucola and through them Marie Bonaparte descended from d'Este family and through them from Louis I the ''Pius'' and Charles the "Bold"-Holy Roman Emperors,Antioch family-Kings of Jerusalim...Her ancestors were also Henry I of France and his wife Anna of Kiev and through Anna of Kiev she has also descended from Kings of Sweden and Denmark and many,many others...

I am not saying that she is to be considered not-morganatic,but just naming some of her more ''interesting'' ancestors which are also ancestors of Napoleon Buonaparte or Bonaparte,whatever version you like!

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 30, 2008, 11:55:13 AM »
The Bonapartes were are commoners but aristocrats. Empress Josephine while married to her first husband was once invited to Queen Marie Antoinette's circle. Carlo Bonaparte (Napoleon's father) was recognized as nobleman as representative of France in Corsica...

Offline Prince_Christopher

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: June 30, 2008, 12:33:22 PM »
Was the  marriage of Maria Bonaparte and her Greek prince recognized as morganatic?

I don't think Marie's marriage was recognized as morgantic.  She and her children were accorded full royal status within the Greek RF, and by the world as well.

She simply had too much money for it to matter....
Anyone who has a library and a garden wants for nothing.
--Cicero

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: June 30, 2008, 12:37:31 PM »
She was born a princess (abit a prevenu one). So if Mrs. Leeds can be a full royal princess, why can't she be ? 

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 30, 2008, 01:23:14 PM »
I personally think Marie was of sufficient rank to marry George equally.

However, her extreme wealth placed her in a separate category that really almost eclipsed status, making it a moot point.  Heiresses like Mrs. Leeds, Antonia Kohary, Edwina Ashley, and others were accepted for their fortunes.

I think George would have wed Marie even if her surname had been simply Blanc.
--Cicero

Offline Yseult

• Knyaz
  • I Love YaBB 2!
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 30, 2008, 01:48:04 PM »
Well, I like so much Marie Bonaparte and I suppose her marriage was "equal" and not a "morganatic one" because the recent hellenic dinasty wanted to see the match as "equal" and not as "morganatic". But, from my point of view, she has the same "royalty" running through her veins that I have...

Her father was a very "funny" prince, a son of a man (Pierre) whose father was born as a commoner (Lucien Bonaparte) and whose mother was also born as a commoner (Alexandrine Bleschamps), and also a son of a mother who was born as a commoner (Nina) with humble origins. And the mother, Marie Blanc, was also a daughter of a common people (a self-made man, a rich man, but a commoner, and his second wife, also comoner and with poor origins). Where is the royalty, if we think about it?

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/
« Reply #281 on: June 30, 2008, 01:50:02 PM »

I think George would have wed Marie even if her surname had been simply Blanc.

Sure thing :)

Offline dmitryalex777

• View Profile
« Reply #282 on: July 01, 2008, 05:10:57 PM »
I wish to tell to you about one example from the life of the Russian imperial family.
There was Eugene de Beauharnais who was son of empress Josephine and adopted son of Napoleon I Bonaparte.
Also Eugene de Beauharnais was the Italian vice-king and married to Bavarian princess who was a daughter of Bavarian King.
Together Eugene de Beauharnais and his Bavarian wife had their son Maximilian. This guy has gone to Russia and has got acquainted with the Russian imperial family. In Russia Maximilian married to one of the daughters of Russian Tsar Nikolas I. Russian tsar was very favourable and benevolent in relation to Maximilian, therefore there was possible a marriage of this guy and grand princess Maria Nikolaevna.
Probably, it was possible because Maximilian was son of the Italian vice-king and a grandson of the Bavarian King and empress Josephine.
Probably, their marriage was equal.

BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marie Bonaparte was no member of any royal family. Therefore, if she had met any Russian grand duc, their marriage wouldn't be possible. Their marriage would be recognized as morganatic. Their children wouldn't be members of Russian Imperial family and also would be deprived the rights to the Russian throne. Very rigid rules of the dynastic marriages of the members of the Russian Imperial Family were such.....

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 01, 2008, 06:03:13 PM »
The Greek RF was fairly new (and poor) when Marie and George married, and I'm sure her fortune made her an attractive, suitable bride for George.  George's family was willing to overlook her parvenu royal status, as they later did for Mrs. Leeds (who had no royal status whatsoever, just a big pile of money). 

I have to agree with you, Dmitryalex, I doubt that the Russians would have accepted Marie in a traditional marriage.  They were far too weathy and did not have to worry about providing lifelong incomes for younger sons

--Cicero

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: July 01, 2008, 08:14:07 PM »
Maybe not the Russian one, but also she would be accepted as afull royal had she married a Danish prince. Her contempory Marie of Orleans married Prince Waldermar of Denmark. As the Orleans were in exile too, they too have no status. Also remember Princess Mathilde Bonaparte was totally accepted as the Tsar's cousin and in fact helped her got out of amessy marriage.  ;)