Author Topic: Alexandra's Personal World  (Read 222909 times)

Russka Princess

Re: Alexandra's Personal World
« Reply #465 on: July 22, 2008, 01:01:36 PM »
of course they has shared a bed, and sometimes she has eat in the nights cookies and she has woke her husband up. and of course ist has nerves him. i thinks its funny that she has eat like a litlle child cookis  in her bed.

Offline tom_romanov

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: July 22, 2008, 01:12:19 PM »
thank you for replying. it is funny that she ate her cookies in bed :)  its nice to know that her and nicholas were close and shared a bed unlike some royal couples then and now

Offline amartin71718

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: July 22, 2008, 04:27:08 PM »
I read in RKM's Nicholas and Alexandra that Alix would stay up and read, eating English biscuits meanwhile.
I'm back on my bull****.

Offline Michael HR

• Knyaz
  • Imperial Corps Des Pages
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: July 22, 2008, 04:59:50 PM »
I recall that the Empress could not sleep easily at night and would often be awake in the early hours. Nibbles were left out for her and I suppose Nicholas just got used to it, as spouses do.

What I also did not know until I joined the forum was that the Empress was in the main a vegetarian.

Mike
Remembering the Imperial Corps Des Pages - The Spirit of Imperial Russia

Lalee

« Reply #469 on: July 22, 2008, 06:50:53 PM »
Yes, Alix did sometimes like to stay up. Usually, when she couldn't sleep, she would stay up to read a novel and munch on biscuits in bed, much to the irritation of Nicholas, as he wouldn't be able to sleep.

Offline BarefootContessa

• View Profile
« Reply #470 on: July 23, 2008, 04:21:20 PM »
I know this is an old thread, but I am wondering how many English books were available not just to the Imperial family, but to other members of the aristocracy.  Since many of them hired English governesses for their children, would it be reasonable to think many young Russian girls read Jane Austen or Mary Shelley?  Does anyone know if Alix read these women writers?

Offline tom_romanov

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: July 24, 2008, 05:50:25 AM »
why did Alix favor the colour mauve ?

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
« Reply #472 on: July 24, 2008, 09:31:23 AM »
What is YOUR favorite color? Why do you favor it??  It just WAS her favorite color. No real reason other than her fancy.

Offline Thomas_Hesse

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: July 24, 2008, 04:16:22 PM »

I know that Ella read at least "Mansfield Park" and "Sense and sensibility" by Austen - books Princess Irene got from Uncle Leopold of Albany. If the elder sisters got to read them it seems likely that Alix - some years later - did the same.
I recall that she also read a German book called "Der grĂ¼ne Heinrich"
Meine Kaiserin

Offline Raegan

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: July 28, 2008, 10:20:07 AM »
She definitely read "Jane Eyre" by Charlotte Bronte - a book she got from a friend if I remember correctly...and various German books I don't recall anymore...

Do you by any chance remember which friend may have given her "Jane Eyre?"

Offline Helen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: July 28, 2008, 10:46:03 AM »
Her friend Toni Becker lent her a copy of Jane Eyre towards the end of 1892.

A book Alix may also have read, if only to assess its suitability, is "Brownie" by Amy LeFeuvre. It seems she gave a copy of it to her daughter Maria. The inscription on the fly-leaf read: "For darling little Marie for Xmas 1908 fr. yr. loving Mama.".
"The Correspondence of the Empress Alexandra of Russia with Ernst Ludwig and Eleonore, Grand Duke and Duchess of Hesse. 1878-1916"  -  http://www.bod.de/index.php?id=296&objk_
"Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig and Princess Alix of Hesse and by Rhine in Italy - 1893"

Offline Thomas_Hesse

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: August 07, 2008, 12:41:06 PM »
That color was actually very popular in the Victorian Age and also common for women's "half-mourning" dresses (together with grey and white).

Alexandra's brother Ernst Ludwig Grand Duke of Hesse loved that color as did his daughter Elisabeth whose wallpapers in the Neues Palais in Darmstadt were mauve.
Meine Kaiserin

Offline tom_romanov

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: August 07, 2008, 03:08:55 PM »
thanks thomas for the info,i read only today about mauve being a 'half-mourning' colour too

Offline koloagirl

• Graf
  • Loving each other and having faith always.
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: August 07, 2008, 04:56:09 PM »

Aloha all!

Yes ineed, in the days when you were related to 3/4 of the European nobility - you must have been in either mourning or half mourning (what a relief that must have been!) a good majority of the time!

I think of all the pics in which I have seen Nicholas with a black armband on - I'm sure that I would have favored mauve as well over the other color options during mourning!

Janet R.
Janet R.

Offline jrose

• View Profile
« Reply #479 on: August 07, 2008, 11:41:15 PM »
just wondering....what is "half-mourning?"

sorry if its a stupid question

jessicarose