Author Topic: Alexandra's Personal World  (Read 222964 times)

Offline Olga Maria

• Velikye Knyaz
  • 1 Corinthians 13, Mark 11: 23-24, Romans 8: 38-39
    • View Profile
Re: Alexandra's Personal World
« Reply #540 on: April 17, 2009, 01:55:57 AM »
Here they are, Tom:

Olga and Tatiana
I think Maria is also wearing a hobble skirt here.

Amazing colored fotos  by the most wonderful Yelena Aleksandrovna. Endless thank you very much!

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: April 17, 2009, 08:27:30 AM »
Those skirts are certainly long and straight, but I don't think they're nearly as restrictive as true hobble skirts.
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

aleksandra

« Reply #542 on: April 29, 2009, 09:20:32 PM »
Okay how was the Mauve Boudoir diffrent then the lilac room at the new palace in 1911?
I would like a comparing between the two rooms.

Anastasia Spalko

« Reply #543 on: December 05, 2009, 05:02:10 PM »
Well, I've read almost all of this whole topic.  My brain is about to explode from so much new knowledge.  Guess I'm going to have to re-write half of my "Tsarina's Servant" novel.  Wouldn't want to have an unrealistic empress, would I?

Offline Georgiy

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Slava v vyshnikh Bogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: December 07, 2009, 08:31:36 PM »
Hobble skirts were quite tight around the calf, and some flared out after that, others didn't. Have a look on some image searches for edwardian hobble skirts. The picture of the dress posted doesn't look very hobbling to me...

Offline Clemence

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: December 23, 2009, 02:14:18 PM »
Do you know if the Empress ever visited Italy while being an empress? In Gregg King's book I read she only vivited the country once, but somewhere else recently I found some reference to yet another visit. Any ideas?
'' It used to be all girls without clothes. Now it’s all clothes with no girls. Pity.''

Offline nena

• Velikye Knyaz
  • But every spring smells like you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: December 23, 2009, 05:51:05 PM »
There is one visit to Italy in 1909 I am aware of. However, there is Chronological list of all Nicholas' visits abroad while he was Tsesarevicha and later, Emperor.
-Ars longa, vita brevis -
Mathematics, art and history in ♥

Offline Clemence

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: December 24, 2009, 02:52:21 PM »
well I'm quite sure Gregg King talked about one unique visit that took place some years before her marriage (maybe with Queen Victoria, but I'm not so sure of that).
'' It used to be all girls without clothes. Now it’s all clothes with no girls. Pity.''

Offline Helen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: December 25, 2009, 02:08:05 AM »
Nicholas visited Italy in October 1909, but Alexandra did not accompany him on this trip; she stayed at Livadia.
Alexandra had travelled through Italy by train when she and her father went to visit her sister Victoria in Malta in January 1890, and she later made a trip to Italy with her brother in April-May 1893.
"The Correspondence of the Empress Alexandra of Russia with Ernst Ludwig and Eleonore, Grand Duke and Duchess of Hesse. 1878-1916"  -  http://www.bod.de/index.php?id=296&objk_
"Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig and Princess Alix of Hesse and by Rhine in Italy - 1893"

Naslednik Norvezhskiy

« Reply #549 on: March 11, 2010, 12:41:58 PM »
I have read varying reports as to which were her favourite flowers, however I had not read about the cowslips before. Some say that she preferred lilies of the valley, a preference which served as the inspiration for the Faberge Lilies of the Valley egg. I have also read that she adored lilacs, both for their scent and their lovely colour, which was her favourite. She certainly loved fragrant flowers in any case, and her rooms must have always smelled wonderful.

The article A Romanov Passion for Flowers on the main site says:
"Alexandra had a special love of lilacs, the color of the Mauve Room was created from a lilac branch the Empress gave to her decorator, Roman Meltzer, to duplicate as the hue for the walls and silk fabrics in her private boudoir. Lilacs come in many colors, some have intense fragrance and others are known more for their unique flower form or shade. The Imperial Greenhouses were able to supply lilacs to the palace almost all year. However the most beautiful, lush and fragrant lilacs came from the Imperial park itself, where huge lilac trees sunk under the weight of blossoms in early summer. The scent was overwhelming. In the far north, in Petersburg and Helsinki, lilacs possess an extra vigor and perfume because of the short growing season and long hours of sunlight during the days of the White Nights."

As a северянин, Northerner, myself, I can vouch for lilacs smelling really good on these latitudes and being a cherished symbol of spring. Nevertheless they are only semi-wild in these parts. Our native fragrant flowering spring tree is the bird cherry (prunus padus), which smells even stronger than the more subtle, aristocratic, lady-like lilac. In a Finnish source I saw the bird cherry quite fittingly described as "the cocotte of the spring woods", over-perfumed, "easy" and always attracting a lot of insects with its overpowering sweet smell! What might have attracted Alexandra to this even more fragrant, but immoral tree, is its native folksyness: In Scandinavia it's steeped in folk poetry and mythology, I wonder if that also is the case with the Черёмуха обыкнове́нная in Russia?

Bird cherry:                                                                                                                                                              
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 12:43:49 PM by Fyodor Petrovich »

Alixz

« Reply #550 on: March 12, 2010, 09:29:35 AM »
In the yard of a house I once owned, there was a deep purple "double" lilac tree and every spring I would open the windows of the house to let the beautiful fragrance in.

It is a heavenly scent and it lasts so short a time.

Lilacs come in many colors from deep purple to white with many shades of mauve in between.

Naslednik Norvezhskiy

« Reply #551 on: March 20, 2010, 06:49:30 AM »
Nice. What is a "double lilac"?

In the Food, Wine and Meals thread it's stated that Alexandra was allergic to floral scents. Surely this can't be correct if she loved lilacs that much?

Alixz

« Reply #552 on: March 20, 2010, 10:09:31 AM »
Double lilacs just have a fuller and bigger blossom that regular lilacs.  The flowers in each bunch are larger and more closely packed together.

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: March 20, 2010, 09:05:03 PM »
In the Food, Wine and Meals thread it's stated that Alexandra was allergic to floral scents. Surely this can't be correct if she loved lilacs that much?

Perhaps that only applied to synthetic perfumes, not actual flowers? Though I find even that hard to believe, since all four of the grand duchesses wore floral scents by Coty perfumes.
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline LauraO

• Boyar
  • You cannot imagine the half of my suffering.
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: May 20, 2010, 11:59:30 AM »
just how private was the mauve room to alexandra? was it almost an extra living quarter with people coming in and out or like an addition to her private rooms?