Author Topic: Dacha of the Yusupovs, at Tsarskoe Selo  (Read 51660 times)

Offline Antonio_P.Caballer

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Dacha of the Yusupovs, at Tsarskoe Selo
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2004, 06:40:22 AM »
I first saw this photograph on the Yale site. Antonio did you see other photographs in the album of Princess Zinaida standing in one with Anna Vyrubova under an awning doorway? Were these also taken in the Yussupov pavilion?

Since finding Anna's five albums with photographs of the connection between the Taneyevs and Felix, I am interpreting Felix's writings on Anna Vyrubova differently. It was easy to discredit her based on appearance and lack of intellect. And his and others memoirs propigated that picture of ridicule of her through the decades. And yet the photographs of Felix at the Taneyevs' Peterhof cottage show the friendship. I am also curious how many other albums Anna had and where they are located today.

Joanna

Hello Joanna!
Yes, i saw the other photograph and if i remember well it was also taken in the dacha. If there are any other albums they must be preserved in the GARF...i suppose...i think prince Yusupov followed the easiest way(spanish expression that do not know how translate criticizing Anna in his memoirs....

Offline BobAtchison

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • The Alexander Palace
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2004, 09:39:44 AM »
People othen forget that Anna was the daughter of a famous Russian composer and high-ranking Government official.  She was raised a noblewoman, spoke like them, shared their values and style of living.  Had she married and stayed quiet like his sister no one would probably have said anything about her.

Whatever her faults she went through hell in the revolution and was brutally treated by the new authorities.  After she got out of prison she never turned on the family - as others did - and stayed in contact, trying to help the family in exile as best she could.

Bob
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by admin »

Offline Candice

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2004, 02:19:03 PM »
Thank you Antonio.  I do wish the photo was clearer, the figures are very tiny. I know the intention was to show the Pavillion but the people are also interesting.

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2004, 02:25:46 PM »
Candice,
I tried to blow up and sharpen just the two figures, but the original picture is just too blurry and grainy and small to be of much help. This is common with Vyroubova's photos. Sorry.

Sari Hirvonen-Skarbo

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2004, 03:55:33 PM »
The Yusupov dacha was built in 1856 by I. Moniguetti for Princess Zinaida Yusupova( nee Sheremetyeva). The architect was evidently inspired in Rastrelli´s  Hermitage pavillion.  After 1917 it was used as sanatorium and children institution.

Hello!
I want to have more information about  Zinaida Ivanovna Narishkina (1809-1893) as married Princess  Zinaida Yousopova.  Where you have got the name  "nee Sheremetyeva"? Do you about more her origins, Felix doesn´t write very much about it. Where did you get information that dacha was built in 1856?
- A quote from Youssupov The Lost Splendor:  ---. However, she bought a piece of land adjoining the Imperial Palace and built a pavilion on it which was an exact copy of the one offered by the Tsar. "
Zineida  also builded the Yousupov mansion in Finland, Helsinki called Peach Point, Rauhaniemi, in the beginning of 1840-ies. Architect was Anders Granstedt.
The mansion which situated besides of the Spa, is demolished. Read George Schoolfield, Helsinki of the Czars. 1995.
Best wishes Sari H-s

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2004, 04:36:25 PM »
Hello Sari:
The information i posted came from a new russian book:
"Tsarskoe Selo in postcards from the end of 19th siecle and the beginning of the 20th" by Alexandr Sochagin,  Sankt Peterburg 2001.
I´m reread some genealogical soureces and you are right, the book i quoted was mistaken. So she was a Narishkina by birth.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Antonio_P.Caballer »

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2004, 05:02:13 PM »
 More information:
Zenaide Ivanovna Narishkina(Moscow 2/14 november 1809; Boulogne sur Seine 16 october 1893) was daughter of the chamberlain and marshall of the nobility from the distrit of Stychevka, Smolensk government, Ivan Dmitrevich Narishkin. Her mother was the natural daughter of Ivan Nikolaevich Rimsky-Korsakov, one of Catherine II´s favourites around 1778.
Her husband died in 1849 and she married a second time in 1861 the Count Chauveau.
She had a beautiful castle in Keriolet, France. The house in Boulogne-sur-Seine, Paris, was later on sold to the Grand Duke Paul and she lived there with the Countess Hohenffelsen (princesss Paley) until thier return to Russia. The house is now the "College Dupanloup", institution founded by the Pricess Paley after the revolution.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Antonio_P.Caballer »

sari hirvonen-skarbo

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2004, 02:02:22 PM »
Thank you!
I am still curious, where did you got this information about Zenaida Youssoupov? It is from a book? I found this from sites http://asdn.net/moscow/palace_history.shtml and http://www.geocities.com/thedivine_comedy/news/socialites_scientist_late.html  - a quote "By 1815, however, Ivan Arkharov and his wife, Yekaterina Rimskaya-Korsakova — a forebear of the composer Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov — were dead. Three years later Ivan Naryshkin, a senator, purchased the estate. In Naryshkin's veins ran the bluest of blood: He was a direct descendent of Natalya Naryshkina, the mother of Peter the Great. Social events at Naryshkin's house proved even more splendid than before."
It seems to be wrong that her father could have been Ivan Aleksandrovitch Naryshkin?
Just wondering....!
Sari H-S

Offline Almedingen

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2004, 02:49:23 PM »
Joanna,

What is Boris going to do with it once he is finished?  Is it going to be open for tours?

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2004, 12:51:33 AM »
Hi Joanna!
The book is: "Princes Youssoupoff & Comtes Soumarokoff-Elston". Hope you enjoy the book, it´s so beautiful!

Antonio.

Offline Sari

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2004, 03:36:06 AM »
To Antonio,
Thank you for information about Zeneida Youssoupov nee Narishkina! I just study about Keriolet palace and Helsinki "Peace Point" palace.  Both palaces seems to have same style - as "neogothic"- maybe that was the interest of Zeneida, who knows?
I still would like to know, where  you have got information about her father Ivan Dmitrichov Narishkin?
Sari

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2004, 12:46:27 PM »
I´ve just seen your post Sari, so sorry for the delay...
This information came from a book in french on the Yussupov Family. It´s great and full of rare photographs.
The book is: "Princes Youssoupoff & Comtes Soumarokoff-Elston". Edited by Jacques Ferrand. There´s in this forum a link to ask him about his books, i suppose in the book´s thread.
You are so fortunate to live in Helsinky, you can go and put flowers in Anna´s grave...
Hope you find the information useful.
Best wishes,
Antonio.

Offline Vera_Narishkin

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2005, 05:18:45 AM »
The Yusupov dacha was built in 1856 by I. Moniguetti for Princess Zinaida Yusupova( nee Sheremetyeva). The architect was evidently inspired in Rastrelli´s  Hermitage pavillion.  After 1917 it was used as sanatorium and children institution. The man in the photograph beside Felix is Anna Virubova´s brother.

She was not née Sheremetyeva, she was née Narishkina.

:)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Vera_Narishkin »

Offline Vera_Narishkin

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2005, 10:51:47 AM »
Thank you!
I am still curious, where did you got this information about Zenaida Youssoupov? It is from a book? I found this from sites http://asdn.net/moscow/palace_history.shtml and http://www.geocities.com/thedivine_comedy/news/socialites_scientist_late.html  - a quote "By 1815, however, Ivan Arkharov and his wife, Yekaterina Rimskaya-Korsakova — a forebear of the composer Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov — were dead. Three years later Ivan Naryshkin, a senator, purchased the estate. In Naryshkin's veins ran the bluest of blood: He was a direct descendent of Natalya Naryshkina, the mother of Peter the Great. Social events at Naryshkin's house proved even more splendid than before."
It seems to be wrong that her father could have been Ivan Aleksandrovitch Naryshkin?
Just wondering....!
Sari H-S

Zinaida Ivanovna Narishkina was the daughter of Ivan Dmitrievitch Narishkin and his wife Varvara Ivanovna née Ladomirsky. Varvara Ivanovna was the illegitimate daughter of Ekaterina Petrovna Stroganova, née Princess Troubetskoya (1744-1815), the estranged wife of the Director of the Academy of Fine Arts in Saint Petersburg, count Alexander Sergueevitch Stroganov. Her father was Ivan Nikolaevitch Rimsky-Korsakov, an erstwhile lover of Catherine the Great. The Empress banished the countess and Rimsky-Korsakov from Court upon discovering their clandestine love affair. From Saint Petersburg, the pair retreated to Moscow where they lived in luxurious exile in the Stroganov Palace and at the countess' estate of Bratzeva.

In 1798, Paul I issued an Ukase granting Varvara Ivanovna and her brothers and sister - Vladimir Ivanovitch, Basil Ivanovitch, and Sophia Ivanovna - the right to bear the name of an extinct noble Polish family, Ladomirsky. Varvara Ivanovna would later marry Ivan Dmitrievitch Narishkin. You can see her portrait on this site (they received the above information from me a few years ago): http://www.batguano.com/catno51.html .

Varvara Ivanovna's husband, Ivan Dmitrievitch Narishkin, also had two illegitimate daughters - Ekaterina Ivanovna Narishkina, who married prince Ivan Alexandrovitch Ouroussov; and Zinaida Ivanovna Narishkina (same name as her half-sister, the "legitimate" Zinaida Ivanovna Narishkina who became the wife of prince Boris Nikolaevitch Yussupov and was Felix's great-grandmother),  who married Peter Ivanovitch Krukov.

I hope this makes things clearer.

:)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Vera_Narishkin »

Offline Vassili_Vorontsoff

• Knyaz
  • If I should die,think only this of me...R.Brooke
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2006, 03:49:38 AM »
Jda said:The restoration of the Yussupov dacha began in the summer of 2003.  As of August 2003 the roofing was completed and  internal work was to begin in the autumn.  The work is planned to be finished on May 2005.  This info came from the Tsarskoe Selo newspaper articles for August 8, 2003 and March 4, 2004.

Has it really happened?Is is really now finished?Can you visit it?Hasanyone photos of it?

Thanks a lot,
Vassili