Discussions about the Imperial Family and European Royalty > Nicholas II

Nicholas II and Anti-Semitism.

(1/46) > >>

James_Davidov:
It saddens me to learn Nicholas II was such an anti-semitic :(.  I understand the history of Russia's policies on Jews, and the pograms that took place during his reign. However I always viewed Nicholas, from the mass of information avaliable, that he was such a virtuous kind man, therefor it saddens me to learn of examples where he showed such hate towards the jewish... from 'The Fate of the Romanovs' -

:-[ "Nicholas II inherited both his fathers personal anti-semitism and his public anti-semitic policies.  He firmly believed in a worldwide Jewish conspiracy against the Russian empire in general and himself in particular.  He once denied an orchestra permission to perform in Yalta on the excuse that it contained jewish musicians; on another occasion, learning that the widow of a Jewish doctor in Yalta had been evicted from her home and applied for permission to return, Nicholas dismissed her request by writting 'there are too many Yids already'.  The systematic pograms of Nicholas II's reign were far more vicious than anything witnessed under Alexander III".

This all troubles me and whilst i'd like to think of myself as a realistic romanov fan - delighting more in the normality of this extraordinary family, unlike some people, I'd really like it if someone could provide an excuse for Nicky's behavior or a contradiction - Im desperate!!! :-/ :-[ :(

Helen_Azar:
James,

There is a very long and informative thread about the Romanovs and anti-semitism. I forget exactly what the topic title was, but it was somethinng along those lines. You can do a search and I am sure you will find it.

Also, Radzinsky, in his book The Last Tsar, assures us that Nicholas was not really anti-semitic because he had some sort of, what the author interprets as a serious fling with a Jewish woman. I never heard about this anywhere else but his book, so not sure how factual that information is. Of course, as the case may be, even if it's true, that still doesn't prove Nicholas not to be anti-semitic, he just happened to like one person who happened to be Jewish, that's all. Prejudice and racism doesn't preclude liking individuals from a group you dislike...

In any case, try to find the aforementioned thread, I think it will be interesting for you...

Helen

Helen

Olga:

--- Quote ---This all troubles me and whilst i'd like to think of myself as a realistic romanov fan - delighting more in the normality of this extraordinary family, unlike some people, I'd really like it if someone could provide an excuse for Nicky's behavior or a contradiction - Im desperate!!! :-/ :-[ :(
--- End quote ---

The Romanovs are not perfect. If you think you're realistic then you will know that Nikolai Alexandrovich plus most of his family did and said some pretty stupid things. There is no excuse for his anti-Semitic statements. Is it too hard to believe that Batyushka Tsar could do something wrong?

Helen_Azar:
Fact is, although he was a "nice guy", Nicholas was not really an intellectual and sometimes had rather simplistic views of the world (at least I get that impression from many things I read about him. Alexandra seemed even more so, IMO.)
The practice of stereotyping is usually born out of an attempt to make sense of something very complicated by simplifying via categorezing. Of course all this goes way deeper than that, but if you keep this in mind, it may sort of explain some things about Nicholas or some other seemingly "nice" people who have these kinds of views...  

Helen

AnastasiaFan:

--- Quote ---It saddens me to learn Nicholas II was such an anti-semitic :(.  I understand the history of Russia's policies on Jews, and the pograms that took place during his reign. However I always viewed Nicholas, from the mass of information avaliable, that he was such a virtuous kind man, therefor it saddens me to learn of examples where he showed such hate towards the jewish... from 'The Fate of the Romanovs' -

:-[ "Nicholas II inherited both his fathers personal anti-semitism and his public anti-semitic policies.  He firmly believed in a worldwide Jewish conspiracy against the Russian empire in general and himself in particular.  He once denied an orchestra permission to perform in Yalta on the excuse that it contained jewish musicians; on another occasion, learning that the widow of a Jewish doctor in Yalta had been evicted from her home and applied for permission to return, Nicholas dismissed her request by writting 'there are too many Yids already'.  The systematic pograms of Nicholas II's reign were far more vicious than anything witnessed under Alexander III".

This all troubles me and whilst i'd like to think of myself as a realistic romanov fan - delighting more in the normality of this extraordinary family, unlike some people, I'd really like it if someone could provide an excuse for Nicky's behavior or a contradiction - Im desperate!!! :-/ :-[ :(
--- End quote ---

Nicholas' anti-semtisim was not as black and white as portrayed in FOTR. He started to change his views for the better towards the end of his life. For a quick bit of info on this, go to the link below. It is from a section of this site titled Nicholas' New Study.

http://www.alexanderpalace.org/palace/newstudy.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version