Author Topic: Bibliographical information  (Read 5534 times)

Offline Biblio-Boffin

• View Profile
Bibliographical information
« on: September 07, 2009, 03:11:58 PM »
Hello,  I am counting on the knowledge base of the forum members to answer this question.  I am looking for bibliographical information on the following authors:-

Pyotr Borkin "Des Morts Sans Tombes"

Valentin Speranski  "La Maison à destination spéciale: La tragédie d’Ekaterinenbourg,”

S. Smirnoff  "Autour de l'assassinat des grands-ducs : Ekaterinbourg, Alapaievsk, Perm"

I'm looking for a general biography which includes year of birth and year of death of the author.

Can anybody help, please?

Biblio-Boffin

Offline amelia

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Bibliographical information
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 06:29:27 PM »
I have been looking for these books for a long time. Do you know where I can find them? Thanks Amelia

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 07:34:27 PM »
I have been looking for these books for a long time. Do you know where I can find them? Thanks Amelia

There's a copy of Speranski available from a Swedish bookseller for approximately $160 USD (plus shipping):

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=981273398&xbf=b3MtdmEtbnl5%2F57297429751010922447
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 09:22:53 PM »
Hello,  I am counting on the knowledge base of the forum members to answer this question.  I am looking for bibliographical information on the following authors:-

Pyotr Borkin "Des Morts Sans Tombes"

:( "La Maison à destination spéciale: La tragédie d’Ekaterinenbourg,”

S. Smirnoff  "Autour de l'assassinat des grands-ducs : Ekaterinbourg, Alapaievsk, Perm"

I'm looking for a general biography which includes year of birth and year of death of the author.

Can anybody help, please?

Biblio-Boffin

I used to work in Interlibrary Loan so I'll see what helps.

Des morts sans tombes.
Author: Petr Sergeevich Botkin
Publisher: Paris : L. Conard, 1921.
No ISBN as it was published to early. It held in about 4-5 libraries worldwide.

La "Maison à destination spéciale";
la tragédie d'Eksterinenbourg.
Author(s): Spéranski, Valentin. 
Publication: Paris, J. Ferenczi & fils
Year: 1929
Description: 285 p. 19 cm.
Language: French
Accession No: OCLC: 12778172
It's available in about 14 libraries worldwide.

Autour de l'assassinat des grands-ducs. Ekaterinbourg, Alapaievsk, Perm, Pétrograd /
Author(s): Smirnov, Sergej Nikolaevic.
Semenoff, Eugéne Marc .
Spalaikovitch, M. . 
Publication: Paris: Payot,
Year: 1928
Description: 281 S.
Language: French
Series: Collection de mémoires, études et documents pour servir à l'histoire de la Guerre mondiale; 
Accession No: OCLC: 253595295
It's available in about 4 libraries worldwide.

I couldn't find anything on the authors specifically.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Biblio-Boffin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 05:06:50 AM »
Thanks for the info.  I have some biographical information about Speranski - he was born in 1877. 

I do actually have the Speranski book for sale at a lower price than specified above.

Botkin was born in 1862  but I have no years of death for either Speranski or Botkin let alone Smirnoff.

Des Morts Sans Tombes I have access to so I could technically provide a scan, same with the Smirnoff book providing they are both out of copyright.  Hence my search for their dates of death.  English copyright rule means that an author needs to have been dead for 70 years for his work to be out-of-copyright.

I can usually find rare and out-of-print books to supply or if they are out-of-copyright provide a digitised version. 

David

Offline Biblio-Boffin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 07:44:24 AM »
Amongst the French books I have for sale or can get hold of on the Romanovs are:-

RADZIWILL Catherine (Princesse) - La malédiction des Romanov - Du Tsarévitch Alexis (1718) au Tsarévitch Alexis (1918) Traduit de l'anglais par Olga Georges.

BIKOV (P.M.) - Les derniers jours des Romanov
Paris, Payot, 1931.

GREY (M.) - Enquête sur le massacre des Romanov
Paris, Perrin, Vérités et légendes, 1987

KERENSKI (Alexandre) - La vérité sur le massacre des ROMANOV. Préface de Sir Bernard Parès.
Paris, Payot, 1936.

BOTKINE (Gleb) - Grandeur et misère des Romanoff.
Éditions du Siècle, 1933

BOTKINE , Tatiana. - Anastasia retrouvée.
Paris., Grasset., 1985.

VON RATHLEF KEILMANN Hariet - Anastasie ? Enquête sue la survivance de la plus jeune des filles du Tsar Nicolas II. Traduction française de A. Lecourt.
Payot, Paris 1929

Offline LisaDavidson

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 04:50:21 PM »
Valéntin Spéranski was a Russian émigré to Paris who published a book about the last days of the imperial family, “La Maison à destination spéciale: La tragédie d’Ekaterinenbourg,” ("The House of Special Purpose: The Tragedy of Ekaterinburg") in 1929. This is an exceptionally rare book, probably only now obtainable through the Library of Congress or the rare book collections of a handful of university libraries. The copy I located in my own local university library was a first edition (no doubt the only edition), printed on very cheap paper, yellowed and crumbling, the spine completely broken. It had been autographed by the author himself on May 14, 1936, in Paris. After I brought it back from photocopying, the librarians immediately confiscated it for their rare book collection.

But it’s necessary to give you some background as to why Spéranski’s book is potentially so important in any study of the last days of the imperial family. Valéntin Spéranski was originally a professor of psycho-neurology at the University of St. Petersburg. After the October Revolution, he was dismissed from the faculty, and also later stripped of his position as dean of the Institute of Psycho-Neurology. This was because he was anti-Soviet; he describes himself as a “counter-revolutionary” and an “internal émigré” while he lived under Bolshevik rule. It’s not clear to me when he emigrated to France, but it was obviously after 1924, when he visited Ekaterinburg to give a series of lectures and seized upon the opportunity of being there to conduct his own private inquiries about the last days and murder of the imperial family (remember, this was only six years after the murders, so memories might be said to have been still fresh).

According to Spéranski, while in Ekaterinburg he personally interviewed people of various political parties, including Bolsheviks, who had either witnessed the imperial family arrive in Ekaterinburg or had been in some way involved in their imprisonment and eventual murder. Some of these men unburdened themselves to him because of “pangs of conscience,” others out of loyalty to the Soviet regime spoke in neutral terms about the murders, and still others sought to justify the crime. In his book, Spéranski evinces obvious sympathy for the imperial family, which he does not attempt to hide or dissemble, but equally he is at great pains to stress his attempt to be as objective as possible in dealing with the witnesses. No doubt his scientific training aided him in these efforts.

Here is the excerpt from his book which I believe AP members will find most interesting. It concerns the personalities of the grand duchesses, and their treatment at the hands of the Ipatiev House guards.

The above is a post by Elisabeth in the Final Chapter Section of the Forum - topic name - OTMA In Ekaterinburg - Speranski.

We know he was alive in 1936, so the book might still be under copyright.

Offline LisaDavidson

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 05:07:52 PM »
By the way, the Alexander Palace website publishes out of print books (with permisssion or out of copyright) so that everyone with a computer and web access can read them. So, anyone who has these books is welcome to forward them to Bob for publication.

Offline Biblio-Boffin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 07:09:20 PM »
I have heard now that Speranski may have died in 1943.  And Smirnoff probably in 1928 just after his book was published.  Not sure about Botkin though.

Offline Georgiy

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Slava v vyshnikh Bogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 10:52:52 PM »
I have two copies of Speranski's book - one in French, one in Spanish, but my reading knowledge of French isn't overly great...still, I acan get a general idea of information from the book. Just wish there were an English edition.

Offline newfan

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2009, 08:43:33 PM »
do the books have pictures ?

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2009, 08:49:03 PM »
do the books have pictures ?

Which ones are you interested in?
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King