Author Topic: New upcoming books in 2009!  (Read 41761 times)

Offline Paola

• Graf
  • I Love YaBB 2!
    • View Profile
Re: New upcoming books in 2009!
« Reply #75 on: December 18, 2009, 07:21:10 AM »
It seems the book "The Four Graces" will be  only released in December 2010 according to Hoogstratten's site!!

Offline Vecchiolarry

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 18, 2009, 01:59:13 PM »
Hi,

December 2010 - that's another year away!!!
Poor Ilana - we won't mention this book any more;  I promised her never to bring up this subject again!!!

Larry

Offline Ilana

• Knyaz
  • I love any info on VMH
    • View Profile
    • Queen Victoria's Granddaughters
« Reply #77 on: December 19, 2009, 11:08:15 AM »
Actually, you'll all be pleased to know that I believe the site to be wrong.  However, it's always hard to tell.

Russka Princess, THE ROYAL MOB was published by a different publisher that is bigger and could easily get the book out.  THE FOUR GRACES, as you all, by this time know, is done by a single gentleman who is doing the best he can to get his publishing schedule... back on schedule, if you will.

I'm sure that he is as sorry as I am for the big wait.  However, it will come... and, I hope that you will all find the effort worth it!
So long and thanks for all the fish

Offline Eurohistory

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Eurohistory.com
« Reply #78 on: December 19, 2009, 11:49:50 AM »
No idea where van Hoogstraten got December 2010. That's news to me.

What we have arriving at Eurohistory on Wednesday is my next book, THE GOTHA – Still a Continental Royal Family, Volume 1. This book is nearly 300 paes and has two photo sections with 264 amazing photos of a century of members from fifteen European royal and imperial dynasties. Our friends at van Hoogstraten English Bookstore and Librairie Galignani are committed to carrying the book, which will also be available through http://www.eurohistory.com and ar Amazon.com

We are currently working on The Grand Dukes – Sons and Grandsons of Russia's Tsars. And we expect that it will be out before January's end. The Four Graces will follow.

Best Holidays Wishes to all, Arturo
--
Arturo Beéche, Publisher
http://erhj.blogspot.com
European Royal History Journal
Kensington House Books
6300 Kensington Ave.
East Richmond Heights, CA 94805 USA
510/236-1730
books@eurohistory.com
http://www.eurohistory.com

Offline Eurohistory

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Eurohistory.com
« Reply #79 on: December 19, 2009, 12:10:30 PM »
New book coming out december 2009:

Greece, Prince Michael of - BourbonOrleans, a Family Album: 200 pictures of his mothers family.

www.hoogstraten.nl

Prince Michael's book is out. We have copies now. It contains many of the photos used in Mon Album de Famille, but also some rather lovely different ones.

Arturo Beéche
--
Arturo Beéche, Publisher
Kensington House Books
6300 Kensington Ave.
510/236-1730
books@eurohistory.com

Offline LisaDavidson

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 19, 2009, 02:48:22 PM »
Wow, I don't know about some of these remarks!

Russka Princess, I think you have stepped over the line when it comes to not attacking others. I get it that you're upset about our Lani's book not coming out, but it turns out it's based on incorrect information from a third party.

So, I ask that you modify your post, and once you've done so, I'll remove this one. If you cannot or will not, please PM me.

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
« Reply #81 on: December 19, 2009, 03:40:11 PM »
I have deleted Russka Princess' inappropriate remark, as well as Lisa Davidson's request she "modify" it.  there are ways to express frustration which are appropriate, hers was not.

As for why sometimes books get delayed, there are often a whole host of reasons.  I know of one book which was finished. Done. Took two years.  When the publisher read the completed manuscript, they demanded it be entirely re-written in a whole new format, all over again!  Perhaps the author had an illness or family emergency. Things happen and a book can often be delayed.

Bob keeps re working his book, and only has limited time to do so as he has a very busy full time job running Pallasart. So, don't be hard on the author if you are frustrated at having to wait for his book to be published. You should be grateful a book you are so interested in is being written at all!

Offline Teddy

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/Booksvanhoog
« Reply #82 on: December 19, 2009, 03:44:37 PM »
We just have to wait. I hope that EUROHISTORY, will publish soon all the books we know about. Maybe it is an idea not to mention a future book, untill the publishers knows for certain that his/her books comes out in maybe 2 months. We wait now already for 3 years for the book of Miss. Miller and I think that we can expect a great job.

Russka Princess

« Reply #83 on: December 19, 2009, 03:46:17 PM »
 heyy
ok, i realize i was yesterday very angry and wrote something mad, but i didnt mean it so. im sorry, it just nerves me that the book come always later and later. i understand it know, so i hope it will come in the spring of 2010. i will wait,  im sorry once again.

i didnt mean it sooo hard, and sorry about my mean word. i already said it was not ilanas foult, and i will wait. no i calm dowm and i will be quite^^

Offline Eurohistory

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Eurohistory.com
« Reply #84 on: December 19, 2009, 07:30:03 PM »
As the administrator said, the public oftentimes does not realize how much work goes into publishing a book.

Take this example...I expected THE GOTHA, VOLUME 1 to be published by October. When the files were sent to printing for a sample copy, the printer had trouble opening the electronic files. When I tried to open the master file, an error showed up on my screen. The two backup copies, as it turned out, were also corrupted. Unable to open the electorni copy of the book, we had to do the book all over again, all 350 pages of it!

Since I had to start from the beginning, as I completed chapters, I went back and rewrote entire sections – the final version is much to my liking! But, it added two months to the publicsahing scheduled and caused a delay, a ripple effect, down the production line. If I had published the first version, I would not have been happy with it and I know, by previous experience, that some peiple would have lost little time in ripping the book apart. So...damned if I do, damned if I don't. However, as some author friends told, YOU are the author and it is your work, no one should pressure you into printing when THEY want the book. Hence, instead of the book being out in October, it will now be out on Christmas Eve and I am delighted with the finished product. The first version had 120 photos, the second version has 264 images...all for the same price...which makes me think that those who are planning to buy the book will be very happuy with the final product.

When we were going to get Ilana's book to print, no one expected the economy to tank. Publishing a hardback, the sixe and quality of what Ilana's book will be, takes more than $30,000 in investment...it is a huge risk, particularly for a publishing company that is not owned by a huge corporation. I have one shot...we either get the book right, or I lose a a considerable amount of money, which could ruin a business I have spent thirteen years building. That, I will not do. So the book comes out the way I want, when I think we are ready, or not at all.

Two years ago I published an English-language version of a book written by Prince Michael of Greece. Our version is titled THE ROYAL HELLENIC DYNASTY. I first approached Prince Michael about an English-language version in in early 2005. He thankfully agreed. Work began. One year later we were still going back and forth about the photos, text, paper, binding, cover, inside flaps, etc. By July 2007 we were ready. The book was sent to print, more problems ensued. We finally received the shipment in November of that year. Printing this book cost a fortune. Our usual outlets all agreed to sell it. Our subscribers ordered several hundred copies. Other outlets, who tend to fear our competition, chose not to sell the book, or let us advertise it inside their publications. It took about 8 months to break even. No loans, no borrowed money; all financing done in cash by me. My parents thought I was crazy. My financial adviser nearly blocked me from cashing investments to raise the funds I needed to get the book printed. I had to promise to return to my trust all the money I took out of it to pay for the book. It was a mad gamble...and it paid off. The book remains the most beautiful royal photo book I have produced. But I could do that as the economy then was much better than it is today.

Then you can have other issues. THE GRAND DUKES is a communal effort. There are nine authors. I had asked for no repetition, which was a mad request. When we first laid the text we came up with a book that was close to 500 pages. If we had printed the book at that size we would have had to sell it for more than $50 – and knowing the royalty market as I do, many would not have purchased the book. Distributors would not have sold the book, our outlets would have had to sell to book for far more. The I realized that there were more than one dozen descriptions within the book of the Russian revolution. Do readers want to buy a book in which the same story is told more than a dozen times? I don't think so. Result: Back to the drawing board. We have been working on this book now nonstop since August and we are almost at the point where I can see a sample copy in my hands in a few weeks.

Eurohistory.com is a small publishing firm. Still, in the last four months we have produced two books, four issues of THE EUROPEAN ROYAL HISTORY JOURNAL, and a conference – all while I am a husband, a parent, a sibling and son, a teacher, and involved in our son's school – and let me not forget our pets!

I am happy with the fact that we have published seventy one issues of the magazine (totaling more than 2,800 pages). We have published sixteen books in a little over five years, organized twelve conferences, etc... All with a skeleton crew of totally dedicated lovers of royalty who do not deserve expletives to be used when referring to our work.

The books will continue to be published when they are ready to be – not when someone demands them. We have one shot. We do not get it right, we cannot undo it. One misstep can translate into demise. So no, I am not going to rush and compromise. In the end, whoever wants to buy the book will do so whether published in January or May.

Bes, Arturo Beéche

--
Arturo Beéche, Publisher
Kensington House Books
6300 Kensington Ave.
510/236-1730
books@eurohistory.com

Offline Vecchiolarry

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 19, 2009, 10:37:28 PM »
Hi Arturo,

I can vouch for "The Royal Hellenic Dynasty" being an excellent book and well worth the money.

If all the other publications materialize with the same quality, then they will be worth the time and the money also.

Much success,
Larry
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 10:48:31 PM by Vecchiolarry »

Offline Eurohistory

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Eurohistory.com
« Reply #86 on: December 20, 2009, 03:01:24 AM »
Thanks Larry..very kind of you!

I typed my previous reply as guests were arriving at our house for our yearly Christmas Bash, which explains the fact that I totally forgot to spell check! Any how, this year our party included mostly parents of classmates of our son and the children. Amazing how becoming a parent changes your life! Three years ago our Christmas party was close to 100 guests, mostly single people, few parents – that is the past...now we relish in having gatherings that involve our son's classmates and his friends. Life changes...and gets better! :-)

Support by friends and clients like you means the world to me. In five years we have done one book every four months. That is nothing to denigrate, but much to praise. As we accelerate our printing schedule, before i go into a PhD program, we will see more books. In 2010 already we have four books scheduled...so thanks for your support!!!

Arturo Beéche
--
Arturo Beéche, Publisher
Kensington House Books
6300 Kensington Ave.
510/236-1730
books@eurohistory.com

Offline Ilana

• Knyaz
  • I love any info on VMH
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 20, 2009, 11:46:00 AM »
Well, I think that just about explains it all for those who ask and those who are unhappy about the wait.

Royalty books aren't Dan Brown best sellers, more's the pity... and I am happy that my book will see the light of day, the way I've wanted it since day 1.  Art has committed to that, and I am more than grateful.  I am positive when you see the finished product you all will feel the same way.  (And I'll be opening a bottle of champagne with the publisher, hopefully!!!) 

An obvious issue here is, that if you all don't support and buy royal books... then you truly won't see them anymore.

XO

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #88 on: December 20, 2009, 07:02:55 PM »
As Ilana points out, the important thing is that it WILL be published. I'm sure she and Art both understand people chomping at the bit for it though--especially those of us here long enough to remember when it was first mentioned! When it does come out I'm sure it will finally many fans here on the board.

As I side note, I purchased Royal Mob for our library with our end of the year money.  :) ;) I love being a cataloger!
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Ilana

• Knyaz
  • I love any info on VMH
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 21, 2009, 10:56:42 AM »
...and Theresa Sherman thanks you from the bottom of her pseudonymic heart!!! [I just made up that word !!!]