Author Topic: Elizabeth (daughter of Ernie)  (Read 328758 times)

Offline Joyann1

• Boyar
  • We can only move forward.
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth (daughter of Ernie)
« Reply #210 on: September 10, 2007, 05:28:58 PM »
i was searching but havent found a tread maby im wrong! but lets post some princess elizabeth pictures :D the beautifull girl with drak hair and grey eyes thats died to young.

Offline lori_c

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 13, 2007, 02:42:38 PM »
One of the things I just loved about Darmstadt was the feeling of history there.  There is a lovely memorial to Princess Elisabeth in a park next to one of the palaces (it's the one with the ceramics for those who know the place).  You have the feeling that the town is still grieving for her, just as you have the feeling that Ernie really left his imprint on the town with all the architecture and artistic additions he made.  They feel very close...

I know this may have been answered but I can no longer find it, Are there any memorials or such during the time when the Park is open to the Public.  Isn't it in May?  Is Elizabeth still memorialized along with her family?

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 13, 2007, 11:49:28 PM »
I think her little house is in Wolfgarten.  :)

Offline VN

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 14, 2007, 03:06:25 PM »
I just came across something really strange while looking up something else, thought I'd share this. Maybe it was discussed before?!

Did anyone ever notice that  Marie/May  (Ernst-Ludiwgs sister), Elisabeth (ELs daughter) and the Ostende victims (ELs wife,son,Daughter in Law,etc) all died on the same date!!  16. November. According to the dates in the family tree printed in my book.

May 1878, Elisabeth 1903, Ostende victims 1937

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 16, 2007, 09:47:43 PM »
A fatal day for the House of Hesse... :o

Offline XJaseyRaeX

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 16, 2007, 10:56:59 PM »
strange indeed... :o
there are two days that always stand out to me in the Hesse family as being fatal days...November 16th...and of course December 14th

I am.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #216 on: September 17, 2007, 07:27:44 AM »
I just came across something really strange while looking up something else, thought I'd share this. Maybe it was discussed before?!

Did anyone ever notice that  Marie/May  (Ernst-Ludiwgs sister), Elisabeth (ELs daughter) and the Ostende victims (ELs wife,son,Daughter in Law,etc) all died on the same date!!  16. November. According to the dates in the family tree printed in my book.

Yes, it's been referenced before as part of the "Hesse Curse" and the 2 fatal days. I think David Duff brought it up in Hessian Tapestry. Eerie.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline VN

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 17, 2007, 10:29:00 AM »
I noticed the dates by look through the book "GroƟherzog Ernst Ludwig" by Dr. Max Wauer.  I only knew about the 14. Dezember (Prinz Alberts & Alice's death) and not about the Hessen-family. 

Some Battenbergs/v Hessen u. b. Rhein familymembers are also very close to the dates -

Prinz Alexander von Hessen und bei Rhein + 15. Dez 1888

his son Alexander (Sandro) von Battenberg, later Count Hartenau +17. November 1893.
On this date in 1885 he (as Sovereign of Bulgaria) and his small army defeated the Serbian Army in the famous battle of Slevniza.-but thats a different story - i.m.o also very interesting.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 18, 2007, 07:29:13 PM »
November did not seem to be a lucky month for the Hesses... :(

Offline Condecontessa

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 20, 2007, 12:45:41 PM »
Did the Hesse family had any realization about the coincidences of the unfortunate events that always happened during the November months? Was there such conversations, diary entries or letters between the family or other relations and friends?

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 21, 2007, 03:31:11 AM »
I think QV did dicussed it with her contacts...Need to go to the Darmstadt Archievs to dig... ???

Offline Adagietto

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 03, 2007, 04:06:41 AM »
Here is a slightly better image of an attractive picture of the princess shown above:

The photograph was probably taken at the same time as this one (a favourite of mine), which shows her wearing the same dress:

Offline Lemur

• Graf
  • reach for the top!
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 10, 2007, 10:32:53 AM »

I literallly gasped with shock when I read this. How eerie, ironic and strange. I wonder if there is some dreadful meaning behind it.

Offline Ilana

• Knyaz
  • I love any info on VMH
    • View Profile
    • Queen Victoria's Granddaughters
« Reply #223 on: October 10, 2007, 11:29:01 AM »
Coincidence, IMO.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 10, 2007, 08:57:10 PM »
In Victorian times it would have taken into consideration though. The ever present "Hesseian curse" !  :(