Author Topic: Elizabeth (daughter of Ernie)  (Read 327317 times)

Offline Laura_

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth (daughter of Ernie)
« Reply #240 on: January 11, 2008, 09:43:19 AM »
lovely Elizabeth...

with her mother - a moving image of the two of them imo  :(

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 11, 2008, 11:28:03 PM »
Indeed...Although Ducky still looked uptight with Elisabeth...no wonder she prefers Ernie.  :(

Offline Annushka

• View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 21, 2008, 05:54:31 PM »
Indeed...Although Ducky still looked uptight with Elisabeth...no wonder she prefers Ernie.  :(

Was she uptight or sad because of the state of her marriage?

Holly
AKA HollyMI,  Princess of the ancient kingdom of Michigan, USA.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 23, 2008, 08:02:41 PM »
Ducky was more of a strict mother, while Ernie was the indulgent father... ;)

Offline lori_c

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 25, 2008, 08:36:13 AM »
Ernie was definitely an indulgent father. But IMO I feel Ducky was very young when little Elisabeth was born and the cracks in the marriage were already beginning to show.

After the divorce, it would take Ducky the whole six months the child would spend with her to break down the barriers the poor child had built around herself in response to feeling abandoned by Ducky.

Offline CharlotteSometimes

• View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 12, 2008, 11:38:39 PM »
When the Portland Art Museum had their Hesse exhibit a couple of years ago, they put out a wonderful catalogue (thread elsewhere on this site) and on page 193 there is a picture of a child-sized crown that Ernst had made for Elisabeth, circa 1900.  Has anyone ever seen a picture of her wearing this crown?  I don't want to scan the picture for copyright reasons, but it's a little beauty of gold, silver, diamonds and peridots.

Offline Riedesel

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: March 03, 2008, 12:58:42 PM »
Hello,

Below ar two photographs I took last Sunday.

The first is the Memorial to Princess Elisabeth which stands in the 'Herrengarten' a park just north of the old residential castle in Darmstadt.

The next one is of the grave on the 'Rosenhöhe' in Darmstadt. Quite a remarkable sculpture.

greetings
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 01:06:59 PM by Riedesel »

Offline Ally Kumari

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Russia
« Reply #247 on: March 30, 2008, 01:41:24 PM »
I have never seen this picture before.....I hope it wasn´t already posted. If so, sorry:)

Offline Aliss_Kande

• Graf
  • Viktoria Luise
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: March 30, 2008, 02:52:17 PM »
I've seen other poses from that session before, but never have I seen that one.  Wonderful!

• View Profile
« Reply #249 on: July 27, 2008, 11:24:24 PM »
I have only seen a couple of color pictures of Elisabeth (the pastel by Kaulbach and a miniature of her in a sailor outfit) and I cannot tell from them the color of Elisabeth's eyes.  They are certainly light-colored, but are they blue, green or gray?  Is there something in a letter or memoir that mentions the color of her eyes?

Also, was there ever a painting done of Elisabeth that perhaps is in Darmstadt or Fasanerie?  I've seen several portraits of Ernie and one of Onor, but none of Ernie's children.  I guess paintings had gone out of fashion somewhat by the time the boys came along, but I wonder why Ernie, who doted so on Elisabeth, and was such a patron of the arts, never commissioned a painting of his daughter?  BTW, was the Kaulbach pastel done posthumously from a photograph?

Russka Princess

« Reply #250 on: July 28, 2008, 05:03:29 AM »
i was once in Darmstadt, but i didnt knew that there is a russian church, and scuh lovly garden.  i was in the church and i has a walk in the garden, where i saw the garve of ernie, elenore, his son and his family, and of course of the litlle Ella.  the poor one..  i didnt knew that she was died so young, till i has read the date.

i wish i could go there again, i love darmstadt.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: July 28, 2008, 09:14:07 AM »
Yes...but why so few portraits...maybe they were destroyed during the war or was looted...

Russka Princess

« Reply #252 on: July 28, 2008, 09:27:28 AM »
yeah.. mabe..

Offline Thomas_Hesse

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: July 28, 2008, 12:44:30 PM »
Oh my Gosh :) No paintings! I think little Princess Elisabeth is one of the most portraited members of the Hessian family - there are numerous! Predominantly by artists from Darmstadt and the British court such as Kröh, Weyl, di Scavola, Svoboda, van Sant, Hartmann, Scheich and of course Kaulbach (the coloured Kaulbach you mean was done in the first days of Nov. 1903 in Darmstadt - on that occasion he also painted Tsarina Alexandra, Tsar Nicolas and their daughters, the portrais of the latter hung in Alexandra's Maple Room at Zarskoje Selo - just before leaving for hunting to Skiernewize were she died some days later....
Indeed kind of a testament that portrait. Ernst Ludwig loved that particular one - he owned at least 5 copies of it and one hung in Alexandra's bedroom.

Elisabeth was obviously blonde as a baby - there is a wonderful large paiting by Kröh dating 1895
Meine Kaiserin

• View Profile
« Reply #254 on: July 28, 2008, 02:40:49 PM »
I think little Princess Elisabeth is one of the most portraited members of the Hessian family - there are numerous! Predominantly by artists from Darmstadt and the British court such as Kröh, Weyl, di Scavola, Svoboda, van Sant, Hartmann, Scheich and of course Kaulbach

Wonderful!  But where are they?  Can we view any of them online or in a book?  Thanks for the information on the Kaulbach, also!