Author Topic: Elizabeth (daughter of Ernie)  (Read 333248 times)

Offline XJaseyRaeX

• Graf
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth (daughter of Ernie)
« Reply #330 on: February 26, 2010, 11:04:00 PM »
Did Ella go on that trip? i thought it was just the Czar and his family that went.  :-\

I am.

Rani

« Reply #331 on: February 27, 2010, 11:35:47 AM »

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: February 27, 2010, 11:47:42 AM »
The baby looked a bit frightful here. It must be the artist.

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: February 27, 2010, 12:36:47 PM »
On a different tack, if Victoria Melita had set off from Coburg as soon as she heard of Elizabeth's illness, would she actually have made it in time?

I haven't managed to find the imperial hunting lodges in Poland on the map, but Coburg to Warsaw is almost 600 miles, and the journey would involve at least two changes of train (Coburg-Berlin, Berlin-Warsaw, then another change). Realistically, it was going to take of the order of 24 hours, allowing for the inevitable waiting time. Even if Victoria Melita were able to rustle up a special train, it wouldn't be like getting into a car and setting off, as a special train would have to be fitted into the scheduled services.

Obviously there is a difference between setting off and not arriving in time and not setting off at all, but even so.

Ann

Offline Mandie, the Gothic Empress

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Olga.Tatiana.Maria.Anastasia + Alexei
    • View Profile
    • Romanovs of Russia
« Reply #334 on: February 27, 2010, 02:14:45 PM »
The baby looked a bit frightful here. It must be the artist.

Normally for someone to be a beautiful child, there ugly as a baby.  :P

Can anyone list books any books that are about or have Princess Elisabeth included in books?

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: February 27, 2010, 07:31:50 PM »
Most of those books on the history of the Hesse family, Mountbatten Family have included Elisabeth.

I agree Ducky would not have reached her daughter in time. She must be devesated when she realized that.

Offline Duchess Georgiana

• Love4Royalty
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art
« Reply #336 on: March 04, 2010, 05:50:41 AM »
Margot, perhaps a simple "that's not what she asked" would have done just as fine.  There is really no need to insult.
As well as those that agreed with Margot.  Why didn't you say anything before then?  Or will you stay quiet until someone else starts?

I first came to this site to get away from such behavior, but I suppose nowhere is safe.

And for Eric_Lowe, yes it is Maria I drew for my avatar.  =)

To stay on topic, I haven't come across anything saying when the two Ella's were together.  If someone happens to find something, please be sure to post it here!
"Soon it will be a year since we saw our friends.Well, it's nothing.  God will grant us all to meet again."

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: March 04, 2010, 09:42:11 AM »
Thank you, I found the insults hard to bear sometimes. we are here to share information and discuss.  :)

I think Ernst named his first daughter after Ella, is because she was his favourite sister. Ella had a charm that enchants as it comes forward in the bios of Sandro (Grand Duke Alexander, husband of Xenia), Missy (Queen Marie of Romania), Greek Minny (Grand Duchess George of Russia) and Prince Felix Yussopov. She was also the favourite Russian Royal of Prince Charles. It was apparent that Ernst hoped that his daughter would have the same qualities. It would resonable to believe that Ella would have taken a serious interest in her namesake, as she was friendly with Elisabeth's mother Ducky (Victoria Melita of Edinburgh/Coburg). Before the coronation of Nicholas & Alexandra, Ella wrote to Ducky to advice her of the clothes she would need and measurements of the court trains (dresses).

Offline Thomas_Hesse

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: March 04, 2010, 10:28:46 AM »
Meine Kaiserin

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: March 04, 2010, 10:43:22 AM »
Lovely picture. Is it an illustration to a book ?

Offline Duchess Georgiana

• Love4Royalty
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art
« Reply #340 on: March 04, 2010, 10:46:04 AM »
That looks like little Elisabeth's playhouse in the back.
"Soon it will be a year since we saw our friends.Well, it's nothing.  God will grant us all to meet again."

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: March 04, 2010, 11:10:00 AM »
It may be reasonable to suppose that Ella took an interest in young Elizabeth, but the issue is whether she actually saw much of her, or wrote to her regularly if not.

Given that they lived in different countries, it is also logical to suppose that they met once or twice a year and for relatively brief periods.

Eric, you obviously think that the sun shines out of Ella, but, being a cynic, the more people rage about her looks and charm, the more I start to wonder whether she was really as remarkable as all that!

Ann

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: March 04, 2010, 12:45:49 PM »
Yes. I do admit I have a weakness as far as Ella is concerned. But I am not blind to the faults she had. There was most certainly jealousy between her and her niece Marie Paulovna the younger for Serge's attention. But also how most writers pick up on the chorus of adoration of one who was stylish, beautiful, kind, spirtual and eventually a saint. In Zoia's short book on the Romanovs, the title was "They all fell in love with Ella." Need I say more ?

Indeed. However since Ella destroyed much of her corresondence and did not leave a diary (unlike her sister Alicky). It is sometimes hard to know how she felt exactly on issues like the relationship with her niece Elisabeth of Hesse. I hope that one day Serge's diary would be translated to English. It might give amore balance picture on Ella. Sorry I am a bit OT. I do apologize.  :-[

Offline Thomas_Hesse

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Meine Kaiserin

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: March 13, 2010, 09:23:12 AM »
Thank you, I found the insults hard to bear sometimes. we are here to share information and discuss.  :)

Yes I agree but let's make sure the information is correct and reliable as much as possible? You do make frequent mistakes Eric.
Grief is the price we pay for love.

FREE PALESTINE.