Author Topic: What kind of Tsar would Alexei have been?  (Read 43974 times)

etonexile

Re: Alexei and Being the Tsar
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2005, 11:51:38 AM »
Even if the GD Michael Alexandrovitch had died before the majority of Czar Alexei Nicholaiovitch....another Regent would have been named....it needn't have been the next in line...just some acceptable adult....

RissiaSunbeam1918

« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2005, 11:58:28 AM »
Well, you know, not being logical, what he might have felt like (IMO) being Tsar (which I can only imagine from him being younger because i am younger myself)
-Dana

etonexile

« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2005, 12:15:56 PM »
I imagine that even a child Czar AN would have felt the honour and duty of his position....and been a fine gentleman at public functions....a charming notion of a boy Czar...I think the Russian public would have been deeply connected to their little Czar.....

RissiaSunbeam1918

« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2005, 12:29:20 PM »
Ok, you are probably right about that...i mean, i think he'd make a good tsar, but like anyone he'd have his faults.
-Dana

etonexile

« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2005, 12:33:00 PM »
Sometimes it's the faults and weaknesses of folk that make them most enduring....

RissiaSunbeam1918

« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2005, 01:53:19 PM »
That's true, and he'd make a good Tsar I guess, I am just saying it was a little early to know what kind of an adult he'd be (people can change drasticly you know) and what he'd do as Tsar.

you're probably right....

-Dana

Fawzia

« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2005, 05:27:28 PM »
I know plenty of "good, sensible children," but that doesn't make them Tsar-material.   Besides, plenty of people began as "good and sensible children" and didn't turn out that way.  

etonexile

« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2005, 07:39:11 PM »
That's true enough...King Edward of GB threw away the kingdom of centuries for personal happiness...but the little I know of AN....he admired his father's dignity and sense of duty....I think this would have been a major factor in the character of Czar AN....

Fawzia

« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2005, 08:07:58 PM »
Yes but...his father was not really a good ruler.   I'd think him wanting to follow in his father's footsteps might be a bad thing.... :-/

etonexile

« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2005, 08:27:02 PM »
Bad ruler?...hmmmm...A subjective judgement perhaps?
NA did his duty as he saw it....how many of us can claim to do as well?...Time-and-tide would have moved against NA as the 20th Century wore on....the Duma would have demanded more power...and I dare say that NA would have yeilded it as a reality of the situation...AN would have hopefully come to the throne,a young man with a knowlege of the state of Russia...it's true wants and needs....and been able to adjust to the tenor of the times...

Fawzia

« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2005, 09:43:16 PM »
No more subjective than yours.   I would not consider Nicholas a great ruler.   A good guy sure, but I wouldn't want him as my Tsar.  

RissiaSunbeam1918

« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2005, 10:16:45 PM »
Yeah, I'd have to agree. He never wanted to be Tsar. And no offense, but he wasn't the best ever. I mean, he did what he thought was right, but usually what he thought was right, wasn't. Not that he didn't try hard, do his duty, love God, respect his wife, and be a father to his children. In these ways, Alexei would have been clever to model after his father.
-Dana

Lizameridox

« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2005, 10:21:46 PM »
One very important difference between the young Tsesarevich and his father was that Alexei Nikolaevich had a stronger, more resolute will, though his heart was as compassionate and his faith was as strong.  He wanted to lighten the burdens of the Russian people, but he also hated dishonesty enough to say that if he were ever to become Tsar 'no one will dare to lie to me'.

RissiaSunbeam1918

« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2005, 10:53:44 PM »
 He wanted to lighten the burdens of the Russian people, but he also hated dishonesty enough to say that if he were ever to become Tsar 'no one will dare to lie to me'.

You mean Alexei in this part, or Nicholas?

Lizameridox

« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2005, 06:45:57 AM »
Please forgive any confusion:  I meant Alexei Nikolaevich there.