Author Topic: Alexandra's formal jewelled fan ?  (Read 3529 times)

Offline katmaxoz

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Alexandra's formal jewelled fan ?
« on: September 13, 2009, 05:12:51 AM »
when Alexandra had formal photos taken in court dress she is usually carrying a jewelled enamel fan with an eagle head encrusted in diamonds.  This maybe a faberge piece, but there's no guarantee of it, though the sheer size of the fan makes me think it was made in the 1880s, perhaps for Empress Marie Feodrovna?  What I was wondering is if anyone knows what happened to this fan?  I've been through a number of books on both faberge and the imperial fans (there have been a couple of exhibitions in London which produced catalogues on this subject) but in none of them has this fan turned up.  Does anyone here know anything about the fate of this fan of Empress Alexandra?

I've included a photo of her holding the fan below:

I also recently found this fan box of Alexandra's. It seems a unique piece and I have to wonder if it could have been a companion to something like this.

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/sothebys/item/21162

I hope this is not off topic for this forum.

thanks!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 05:16:40 AM by katmaxoz »

Offline Yelena Aleksandrovna

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • *Glitter Of The Past*
Re: Alexandra's formal jewelled fan ?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 12:00:37 PM »
What beuatiful photo, the fan must be incredible, but sadly, perhaps, I don't know, It could be distroyed or
stole during the Russian Revolution, and perhaps for that reason it doesn't appear