Author Topic: Alexandra and Alexandrina Hutten-Czapska  (Read 10704 times)

Offline Ally Kumari

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Russia
Alexandra and Alexandrina Hutten-Czapska
« on: September 24, 2009, 02:17:49 AM »
We know that in 1884 Grand Duke Ludwig of Hesse married morganatically Alexandrina Hutten-Czapska. Even though the marriage did not last long and was annuled Alix certainly must have thought, write or said something about the matter. Do we know how she saw the whole affair? She was still very young, did it hurt her to find out her father married again? Or did she know about his relationship with the lady mentioned above?

Thank you for any answers.

Offline Magdalena

• Magdushka
    • View Profile
    • my deviantART
Re: Alexandra and Alexandrina Hutten-Czapska
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 03:40:48 AM »
Oh, Ally, what a nice topic!

this is what I found about this lady (and oh my she was Polish, upsss):

http://www.thepeerage.com/p10420.htm (you have to scroll down to her name)

and well, as for Alix, personally I think she might have been dispirited by the fact that her father would have a new wife and so on, like almost every child feels in such a situation, and I also think that the reminiscence of Alice was very up to date, if I can call it like this. So I think Alix was probably devastated by the fact her father remarried, but this is only my opinion, I know almost nothing about the situation in the historical meaning, so I'd be glad if you anyone could find something more proven than my blah blah blah here.

Offline violetta

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 04:07:17 AM »
I don`t know what Alexandra Feodorovna thought about her father`s marriage.BUt I know what Queen Victoria thought about her son-in-law`s remarriage though I don`t remember the source ( I htink it was in one of her letters but to whom?). Her attitude was definitely negative although the thouht of his remarriage was acceptable to her. it was quite acceptable to her that one day Ludwig IV would be fed up with his loneliness and would feel like marrying again. but queen victoria rather thought about " a nice" princess, some one of the equal rank, probably a widow ( if I remember correctly). she rather thought about a quiet wedding. can anyone help me by identifying the source?  

Offline Ally Kumari

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Russia
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 04:14:53 AM »
Magdalenka: I´ve got that whole book downloaded from the internet and I can tell you, that even though it´s very interesting, it is nothing more than a list of gossip and untreu stories about Alexandra. the author, certain Paul Vasili, was a man from high society and knew the court life well, unfortunatelly he knew nothing about private life of the Imperial family. For example he states that Alexandra was chosen as bride for Nicholas by Alexander II., Nicky had already two sons from his mistress Mathilde, he and Alix never loved each other and lameted over ever one of OTMA.....

Offline Magdalena

• Magdushka
    • View Profile
    • my deviantART
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 04:18:37 AM »
yeah, I thought so... I also have that book, but I've not read the whole yet... But nevertheless, don't you think that the particular statement about the Madame Kolemine could be, uhm, maybe not true, but near true? I mean, usually children are not very happy when their father or mother remarries...

but ok, I know this book wasn't a good choice. So I keep on looking! Smiley

Offline Ally Kumari

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Russia
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 04:22:10 AM »
It MAY be true, however the author proved himself to be unreliable and so I really can´t help but not to trust him....

Offline Magdalena

• Magdushka
    • View Profile
    • my deviantART
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 04:38:13 AM »
yes, I agree with you, Ally, it's better not to believe the things that may not be true... but anyway, I want to know something about Alicky's attitude towards Alexandrina... but I think it would be hard to find anything...

RomanovsFan4Ever

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 04:40:32 AM »
For example he states that Alexandra was chosen as bride for Nicholas by Alexander II., Nicky had already two sons from his mistress Mathilde, he and Alix never loved each other and lameted over ever one of OTMA.....

You're right, it's indeed an unbelievable source, I don't believe that Emperor Alexander II chosen Alexandra as futer wife for Nicholas...at least, now we know from what source those nonsensical rumors about Nicholas's illegittimate sons are from.

Offline Ally Kumari

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Russia
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 04:59:50 AM »
I´m sorry for a typo. I meant to write Alexander III. Nonesense still.....

RomanovsFan4Ever

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009, 05:06:02 AM »
Oh no problem...indeed more nonsensical, since Alexander III chosen Helène D'Orleans as a possible wife for Nicholas and he disliked Alexandra.

Alixz

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2009, 04:29:35 PM »
Magdalenka: I´ve got that whole book downloaded from the Internet and I can tell you, that even though it´s very interesting, it is nothing more than a list of gossip and untrue stories about Alexandra. the author, certain Paul Vasili, was a man from high society and knew the court life well, unfortunately he knew nothing about private life of the Imperial family. For example he states that Alexandra was chosen as bride for Nicholas by Alexander II., Nicky had already two sons from his mistress Mathilde, he and Alix never loved each other and lamented over ever one of OTMA.....

If I remember correctly Paul Vasili is actually Katherine Radziwill who had no love for Alix.

I read that book many years ago and it is full of untruths and out right fiction,

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2009, 04:43:56 PM »
I agree, Alixzz.  I have my copy cleary marked RUBBISH after I read it.
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline Ally Kumari

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Russia
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2009, 04:48:27 PM »
Thank you for clarification of Vasili´s identity. However anyone with at least a basic knowledge of Imperial family MUST see immediatelly the crap written in that book.

Alixz

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2009, 10:32:25 AM »
I remember picking it up in the library when lived in Springfield, MA.  The first line was something to the effect that "all of the troubles and problems experienced by Imperial Russia were caused by the Empress Alexandra"  I didn't even check it out of the library.