Author Topic: Alexei had Hemophilia - Why Didn't Alix and Nicholas try Again?  (Read 163569 times)

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
Re: Alexei had Hemophilia - Why Didn't Alix and Nicholas try Again?
« Reply #375 on: August 13, 2007, 02:15:50 PM »
Even if the system and the dynasty was doomed to fail eventually I still think it would have turned out differently if Rasputin had not been there.  It was their desperation over Alexei that led her to turn to him, if they'd had a healthy son this would not have happened. After all it was his influence on Alix while Nicky was gone and the bad gov't appointments by Alix at his  discretion that led to the last straw that brought on the revolution when it did. The dynasty may still have fallen, most did after WWI, but it wouldn't likely have been at the same time and under the same circumstances and they probably wouldn't have died the way they did- and we wouldn't be here talking about them.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 02:18:03 PM by Annie »

Offline charley

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: August 13, 2007, 07:07:41 PM »
Remember that Alix was not very well during her pregnancies when she got older. And as it was said before, the Empress would not show up pregnant in public.

She was only 32 when she had Alexei.  As far as her being seen in public pregnant, I have a French newspaper that has her nursing one of her babies on the front cover. It is a type of colored print. They sent an artist to make the print.
It just seems with Alix being different from most royals, that she would have more pictures of herself. Especially when they all had cameras at the turn of the century. She really reminds me of Princess Diana, in that she was going to raise her own children. Even though Alix's kids had nanny's, nurses, governesses, etc., she was definitely a "hands on mom". If there are not if any records of her pregnancies, she could have had miscarriages then. 

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #377 on: August 14, 2007, 09:26:30 AM »
The photo by Stasie shows Alix in 1899 during her pregancy with Marie for I have three other photos which had been taken on the same day in various positions and with Alix and other people, friends and servants.
Remember that Alix was not very well during her pregnancies when she got older. After she had been two months pregnant with Marie she had to lay in bed most of the time and she could only move in a wheel chair.
And as it was said before, the Empress would not show up pregnant in public. My Great-Grandma who was working for the House of Hanover said that even in the 1920s it was not allowed for a Princess to go out pregnant or show it on photos for the public. It s the same like with bathing suits and trousers for women- it was Marlene Dietrich to make that popular, right? ;) But I think that came up in the 1930s.

This is very true, my Grandma who was the same age of Anastasia said the same thing. You just didn't go out in public or let yourself be seen any more than you had to once you were showing. (I guess the reason being people would know for sure what you'd been up to and there was something 'bad' about that?? ???) People were funny about that stuff in those days. My Grandma also said that even mentioning the bathroom (slopjar, outhouse, etc.) in front of a boy when you were dating was considered very bad for the girl's rep! :o

Late pregnancy was sometimes called 'confinement' in the older times because the obviously pregnant woman, especially rich ones, were most often kept out of sight. This is why it's so laughable to see Miss Beadle or even Laura on "Little House" ready to burst teaching a class of little kids saying "I'd like to work up until the last minute" ::) they're doing that to be socially correct for the newer times, but back then it just plain didn't happen! No way would a pregnant woman be teaching kids, and until sometime after the turn of the 20th century, a teacher couldn't even be married! This is why schoolteachers in the old west were either teenagers(you could get a teaching certificate at 16, all you had to do was pass an exam, no college needed) or 'spinster' schoolmarms. (at least in rural US) Once you got married, you had to give it up. Their philosophy was that if a teacher had her own husband and children she wouldn't give the needed attention to her students. And even as late as the 1960's it was expected that a woman give up her job or take long pregnancy leave once she could no longer conceal her belly and was obviously pregnant.

So because pregnancy was something to hide in those days, there aren't going to be many if any posed photos of pregnant ladies.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 09:34:22 AM by Annie »

Offline charley

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: August 14, 2007, 04:18:00 PM »
Well there is a picture of Alix sitting on Nicky's lap and they are kissing. I guess my point is that I would think that in private, they would have taken pictures of her or even record it in her diary, which was not public at the time. I can understand not having a posed formal picture taken or even being seen in public, but privately, they seemed pretty "laid back" (i.e. the picture I described).

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: August 24, 2007, 02:51:10 AM »
Well there is a picture of Alix sitting on Nicky's lap and they are kissing. I guess my point is that I would think that in private, they would have taken pictures of her or even record it in her diary, which was not public at the time. I can understand not having a posed formal picture taken or even being seen in public, but privately, they seemed pretty "laid back" (i.e. the picture I described).

Remember, there are still many unpublished photos, there could be quite a few of her pregnant.

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: August 24, 2007, 08:23:42 AM »

Remember, there are still many unpublished photos, there could be quite a few of her pregnant.

Entirely possible. A sense of propriety might keep any such photos (if they exist) from being published today. As much as we'd like to know EVERYTHING about them, even the dead deserve some privacy.
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline rosieposie

• Graf
  • Eva Duarte de Peron, May 7 1919 - July 26 1952
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: August 25, 2007, 01:12:09 AM »
Who was it that had thought that babies were born with clothes on?
Beautiful faithful Nargony.
Thanks Emily!

Miranda:" Everything begins and ends at exactly the right time and place."
"Picnic at Hanging Rock" (1975) Movie.

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: August 25, 2007, 04:10:06 AM »
I don't think that Alix being pregnant in a photograph will keep it from being published forever. There's the one of her showing her feet, which wasn't something women did back in those days, and talk about invasion of privacy, there's the ones of Aleksey naked and Nicholas's rear end showing.  :-X

Offline charley

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: August 25, 2007, 05:32:15 PM »
That is a real good point Clockwork. I had forgotten about those photographs.  Now I really wonder why we have not seen more photo's and discussions about her pregnancies.
I had an interesting thought.  The Imperial Family knew from various sources that they were not completely safe and that something bad was supposed to happen in their future. Do you think it is concievable that knowing this information after Alexei's birth, that any further children or even pregnancies would be kept secretive. The world knew about all five children, so they would be in danger, but if there was another child after Alexeii, and no one knew about it, it would not be in danger. Just a thought, but if I was in that situation, I would consider that idea.

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: August 30, 2007, 09:34:30 PM »
I just wanted to say something about Alexandra writing to Nicholas about not sleeping together and Nicholas wishing Alix wouldn't be on her [eriod when he got home...

maybe she meant they hadn't sleep together as in being together to sleep in the same bed? She may not have meant sex at all. And maybe Alexandra got a little testy around her time, and Nicholas didn't want her to be in that mood when he arrived.  ;)

Even if the system and the dynasty was doomed to fail eventually I still think it would have turned out differently if Rasputin had not been there.  It was their desperation over Alexei that led her to turn to him, if they'd had a healthy son this would not have happened. After all it was his influence on Alix while Nicky was gone and the bad gov't appointments by Alix at his  discretion that led to the last straw that brought on the revolution when it did. The dynasty may still have fallen, most did after WWI, but it wouldn't likely have been at the same time and under the same circumstances and they probably wouldn't have died the way they did- and we wouldn't be here talking about them.

Yeah.  :-\ Nicholas and Alexandra just had one bad thing happen after another.

Offline pandora

• Whatever you are, be a good one. Abraham Lincoln
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: September 03, 2007, 02:38:52 PM »
Being a "newbie" to this forum, so many of the topics are very interesting to me but I'm sure to many of the long-time members the discussions may feel continually "rehashed"..with that said, I'd like to add that I've always thought Alexei's illness played a huge factor in the number of children A & N had and just from a personal angle, after I had my first daughter, I bounced back so much quicker than I did four years later with my second daughter - and their births occurred, obviously, in our current era of modern medicine. Having five children, two or three years apart during Alexandra's era had to be extremely taxing for women - mentally & physically.

Offline pandora

• Whatever you are, be a good one. Abraham Lincoln
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: September 03, 2007, 02:58:56 PM »
The photos diplayed here of Alexandra while pregnant have to be very rare. My great-grandmothers were of the same generation as the Empress and in all of the family photos I have, not one shows either woman pregnant...and this is astonishing to me since my paternal great-grandmother had 13 children within a space of 25 years...one would think that at least one photo would exist of her in that condition.  I do have one photo of my maternal grandmother pregnant with my aunt in 1934 but it's taken at angle so without my mother's explanation of the photo, I wouldn't have known that Grandma was in "that condition" !

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: September 04, 2007, 09:01:37 AM »
I don't think that Alix being pregnant in a photograph will keep it from being published forever. There's the one of her showing her feet, which wasn't something women did back in those days, and talk about invasion of privacy, there's the ones of Aleksey naked and Nicholas's rear end showing.  :-X

That's entirely possible, but I do think there comes a point when people -- even dead famous ones -- are entitled to a little privacy.
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline lori_c

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: September 06, 2007, 08:32:33 AM »
I agree. Especially since she wasn't mentally or physically in balance before the births of her children. IMO her previous state coupled with post-partum as well as the hemophilia of Alexei probably ended her child bearing days.  Whether by choice or by nature.

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: September 06, 2007, 08:59:29 AM »
well remember Queen Victoria, her grandmother, had 9 children and one of them was like Alexis ... a different person in how she reacted though compared to her granddaughter