Author Topic: Alexei had Hemophilia - Why Didn't Alix and Nicholas try Again?  (Read 167666 times)

Offline cimbrio

• Knyaz
  • Für Ludwig II
    • View Profile
    • GonDan's Royalty Family Trees
Re: Alexei had Hemophilia - Why Didn't Alix and Nicholas try Again?
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2005, 07:04:45 AM »
When did she miscarry the second time? I had never heard of her having miscarriages...

Offline erzsi

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2005, 08:57:09 AM »
The second miscarry was 1902 but i read also she only think she was pregnant (Scheinschwanger).

Offline Denise

• Knyaz
  • Anneliese: Historian in training
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2005, 12:29:20 PM »
On another thread about the book "My Empress" it discusses the fact that Alix did not have a miscarriage in 1896.  The book was a work of fiction.  She was riding horseback 3 days after her supposed miscarriage.  

Offline Marya Pavlovna

• Maria Romanova
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 01, 2005, 04:39:24 PM »
What would of been weird is that if one of those miscarridges was a boy, then Alexei would have not been Tsarevich, and history would probably have changed!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Maria_Romanova »

Offline Denise

• Knyaz
  • Anneliese: Historian in training
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 01, 2005, 05:02:23 PM »
What would of been weird is that if one of those miscarridges was a boy, then Alexei would have not been Tsarevich, and history would probably have changed!

Only if that boy child was not a hemophiliac.. :(

Offline Ortino

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Ortino
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 01, 2005, 07:27:50 PM »
It wouldn't be wierd at all. Not only could the child have been hemophilic, but Alexandra could have been stuck with two Alexei's in an attempt to produce a "healthy" heir after the first sickly child.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Ortino »

Offline Georgiy

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Slava v vyshnikh Bogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 01, 2005, 08:52:54 PM »
I don't think they'd have tried for another 'healthy' heir, after all they didn't try after Alexei was born.

Offline Lemma

• View Profile
    • SIS
« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2005, 07:41:58 AM »
I don't think they'd have tried for another 'healthy' heir, after all they didn't try after Alexei was born.

Far be it to question a 'god' - but isn't this precisiely the key point.

As an historian who has been looking at this period for some years, I find this question of 'issue' rather odd.

It is the prime duty of those with a line to preserve to produce both 'an heir and a spare'. This could not have escaped AF.

Producing offspring like clockwork had been one of her best accomplishments - albeit girls.

It seems strange that no attempt was made to produce a 'spare'.

The risks of another 'bleeder' were less than 50%: even in the royal household from QV down, only P. Irene had given birth to a haemophiliac son without also producing a son who did not suffer.

QV produced 1 out of 4 sons (Leopold - 75% chance of 'success') and P. Beatrice 2/4 (50%). Niether of Victoria-Eugene's two were then born, but Juan was clear (so 33%). P Alice produced Ernest as well as Frederick (50%) and only AF's sister Irene produced two sons with the disease.

Statistics aside - this was the duty of an Empress.

Since N&A clearly enjoyed normal relations and were both fertile (the regularity of OTMA speaks to this), and since the Empress was only 32 when Alexis was born, one can only assume they deliberately decided to avoid having more children.

But the answer is not obvious to me.      

I cannot believe that it was a result of worries over child care (there were others at hand to help).

Was not the risk one that had to be taken?
Rem Tene Verba Sequentor

Offline Ortino

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Ortino
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 02, 2005, 04:35:05 PM »
I have always wondered myself why they did not try and produce another heir after Alexei. I think it was because of Alexandra. We all know she was emotionally fragile, and I think that the idea of producing another heir with hemophilia would have killed her on the inside. We all know she blamed herself greatly for Alexei's condition, and they had no way of knowing whether or not their next male child might have the same disease. I think it was too much of an emotional roller coaster for her.

Offline Lanie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 02, 2005, 08:18:13 PM »
Alix had awful health, even before the birth of Alexei, and afterwards it got worse. That seems to be why, they didn't want to risk her health.

Offline otmafan

• Knyaz
  • In Loving Memory
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 02, 2005, 09:55:33 PM »
Alix had awful health, even before the birth of Alexei, and afterwards it got worse. That seems to be why, they didn't want to risk her health.

That's true. Is it true that a doctor told her she shouldn't have any more kids, in fear of her health?

Offline Lemma

• View Profile
    • SIS
« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2005, 05:12:40 AM »
Sorry to seem unsympathetic, but I was suggesting that she had a duty as Empress to produce another heir.

AF being Empress was undoubtedly a role both parents took most seriously, but we seem to be concluding (perhaps correctly) that it was role they both considered secondary to that of wife and mother.

This has serious implications for any assessment of Alix as a character, and that of the Tzar.

But it's not remotely 'imperial', let alone autocratic.

Then again, it is not out of line with his later abdication on behalf of his son 'in order to keep the familiy together'.

Rem Tene Verba Sequentor

Maria_Romanov_fan

« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2005, 04:00:38 PM »

Hmmm...
Maybe, even there might not have even been a revolution.

Offline Ortino

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Ortino
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 03, 2005, 04:25:34 PM »

Hmmm...
Maybe, even there might not have even been a revolution.

How so? Having another heir younger than Alexei would not have in any way, shape or form, stopped a revolution from occurring, particularly if the child had hemophilia. Even with another male, Alexei would still be the senior heir to the throne. He would have been especially looked after and just as important for that reason. They would have undoubtedly still summoned Rasputin even with another boy, and since they loved their children very much, they would have done it for him too (Alexei), not just for the dynasty. Besides, the people's problem was with Nicholas, not Alexei. The presence of Rasputin just fueled a burning fire further.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Ortino »

Offline Georgiy

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Slava v vyshnikh Bogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 03, 2005, 04:42:17 PM »
I think they were meaning if one of the miscarried children (and these were before the birth of Alexei) were male, and without haemophilia, then things may have been very different.