Author Topic: Alexei had Hemophilia - Why Didn't Alix and Nicholas try Again?  (Read 162449 times)

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
Re: Alexei had Hemophilia - Why Didn't Alix and Nicholas try Again?
« Reply #390 on: September 06, 2007, 02:16:41 PM »
well remember Queen Victoria, her grandmother, had 9 children and one of them was like Alexis ... a different person in how she reacted though compared to her granddaughter

Her 'heir' Edward was healthy though, I wonder how she'd have felt if she had only one son and he had it? But then of course in England a woman can rule, so there's no need to fear having only daughters.

Offline lori_c

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: September 06, 2007, 04:14:19 PM »
QV was definitely different then her high-strung granddaughter in regards to this, i believe.  But in her child bearing years, QV wasn't as "hands-on" with her children.  PA did this.   She didn't particularly like to be around children then.  I think when her grandchildren came it was different. 

Also, Alix and QV certainly were different in their personalities and physical/mental conditions before, during and after their child bearing years.

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: September 06, 2007, 05:00:51 PM »
Yes Queen Victoria was more intelligent and a better judge of character. The only impediment for a woman succeeding in Russia was Nicholas II's weakness. He could have changed the Pauline law at any time.

Offline pandora

• Whatever you are, be a good one. Abraham Lincoln
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: September 06, 2007, 08:07:44 PM »
dmitri, annie & lori c...all valid points to this topic, in my opinion...

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: September 08, 2007, 12:55:07 AM »
What's interesting is that Queen Victoria had nine kids, but complained about it all the way, and said she didn't like young kids. Alexandra, on the other hand, never did so, she is not on the record saying she disliked pregnancy or small children, yet she had only five kids.

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: September 08, 2007, 02:42:31 AM »
Alexandra was far more hysterical than her grandmother, Queen Victoria. Remember also there was no pain relief during childbirth for most of the time Queen Victoria was having children. It was only in her last couple of pregnancies that chloroform became available.

Offline pandora

• View Profile
« Reply #396 on: September 08, 2007, 07:43:22 AM »
IMO, it's evident from many of our posts that a person's mental state contributes immensely to their physical well-being. I'm thinking Alexandra's high-strung personality combined with numerous births in a short period of time; the added stress of producing an heir then the realization that Alexei was seriously ill totally pushed her over the edge, per se. In using the phrase, "over the edge" I certainly do not mean she was mentally ill and am not intending to appear disrespectful but in our modern era, instances such as Alexandra's often prompt doctors to prescribe anti-depressants and/or anti-anxiety drugs...but I'm digressing here...my point is, Alexandra's mental well-being played an important role in the possibility future children.

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: September 08, 2007, 07:46:40 AM »
Well I for one am glad Nicholas and Alexandra did not have any more children as they would have inevitably been slaughtered in the Ipatiev House in Ekaterinburg no matter what their ages.

Offline anna11

• Boyar
  • history is the world's court of justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: September 08, 2007, 08:32:41 PM »
Sorry if this question sounds perverted or whatever, but how did they not have any more children? Did they use some kind of birth control, or did the abstinent? (Is that the right word? My spelling and grammar is awful)

The mind is its own place, and in itself
Can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: September 09, 2007, 12:35:10 AM »
I guess most people's photos end up in oblivion sooner or later. There are so many photos of victims of the holocaust that nobody knows the names of. Their faces though still live and haunt others about their hopes and dreams and final fates.

Offline anna11

• Boyar
  • history is the world's court of justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: September 09, 2007, 01:19:51 AM »
There's the one of her showing her feet, which wasn't something women did back in those days, and talk about invasion of privacy, there's the ones of Aleksey naked and Nicholas's rear end showing. 

Care to share? lol i've never seen any of those photos.

The mind is its own place, and in itself
Can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: September 09, 2007, 11:16:58 AM »
Birth control was possible.

Offline pandora

• View Profile
« Reply #402 on: September 09, 2007, 02:57:49 PM »
Well I for one am glad Nicholas and Alexandra did not have any more children as they would have inevitably been slaughtered in the Ipatiev House in Ekaterinburg no matter what their ages.

Oh, most definitely, dmitri. Such a tragic situation from every angle.

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: September 09, 2007, 03:02:20 PM »
It's hard to decide if you personally wish N&A had had more children. Can we say we wish OTMAA had never been born?

Offline charley

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: September 14, 2007, 08:29:30 PM »
I find it hard to believe that they deliberately tried NOT to have any more children. Was the throne so unimportant to Nicholas that he, knowing Alexei could die any time, would just let it go? As for her pregnancies being very difficult, women have had extremely rough pregnancies forever and continued to have more children. The idea that because Alexei had hemophilia, they would not try to have more children does not match up to the rest of Alix's family. Look at all the children and grandchildren, etc., that Queen Victoria had full well knowing about hemophilia in the family. The idea of birth control seems very unlikely to me. First of all, they were very devout, secondly, there is no record, that I am aware of, of birth control being used in a monarchy.