Author Topic: Alexei had Hemophilia - Why Didn't Alix and Nicholas try Again?  (Read 163571 times)

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Alexei had Hemophilia - Why Didn't Alix and Nicholas try Again?
« Reply #405 on: September 14, 2007, 08:39:04 PM »
Actually there is information on contraception.

Offline anna11

• Boyar
  • history is the world's court of justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: September 14, 2007, 09:08:17 PM »
....and what is it?

The mind is its own place, and in itself
Can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: September 14, 2007, 10:49:39 PM »
sheaths .. they've been around for a very long time indeed

Offline pandora

• Whatever you are, be a good one. Abraham Lincoln
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: September 15, 2007, 08:05:28 PM »
I find it hard to believe that they deliberately tried NOT to have any more children. Was the throne so unimportant to Nicholas that he, knowing Alexei could die any time, would just let it go? As for her pregnancies being very difficult, women have had extremely rough pregnancies forever and continued to have more children. The idea that because Alexei had hemophilia, they would not try to have more children does not match up to the rest of Alix's family. Look at all the children and grandchildren, etc., that Queen Victoria had full well knowing about hemophilia in the family. The idea of birth control seems very unlikely to me. First of all, they were very devout, secondly, there is no record, that I am aware of, of birth control being used in a monarchy.

The situation may not have been "deliberate" at all. After five pregnancies so close together, Alexis' hemophilla, the mental and physical stress of the entire situation plus a woman's normal physiological timeclock, getting pregnant may not have been as easy for Alexandra.

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: September 15, 2007, 10:38:24 PM »
Yes that could have also been quite correct.

Offline Grand Duchess Valeria

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: April 16, 2009, 03:04:30 PM »
Sorry if my question might be not proper...
But I would like to know, why Alix and Nicky didn't try to get another - maybe healthy - son? Was there any physical problem or was Alix to weak to bear the disappointment of another daughter/haemophiliac son? Do you know why?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 10:32:54 AM by Alixz »
And when he shall die, // Take him and cut him out in little starres, // And he will make the Face of heaven so fine, // That all the world will be in Love with night, // And pay no worship to the Garish Sun.

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: April 16, 2009, 03:44:24 PM »
Have you read Helen Rappaport's new book The Last Days of the Romanovs? In there on p.89 it says basically that Alexandra was worn out from so many preganancies in quick sucession (1895, 1897, 1899, 1901, 1904, and possibly a miscarriage in 1903 too), that given how bad her health was, it might endanger her health further to become pregnant again. Doubtless too, it might have been another daughter, who would not be an heir or a son with hemophilia. It just didn't seem worth the risk.

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: April 16, 2009, 03:49:47 PM »
I think so too. I heard of another miscarriage between Olga and Tatiana (about 1896) because of the stress of the coronation. Is this right?
I heard that the miscarriage in 1903 could also be an appearance of pregnancy. They are not sure about it.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 08:13:14 AM by Alixz »
And when he shall die, // Take him and cut him out in little starres, // And he will make the Face of heaven so fine, // That all the world will be in Love with night, // And pay no worship to the Garish Sun.

Offline Ally Kumari

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Russia
« Reply #413 on: April 16, 2009, 03:57:41 PM »
I read about that in Caroly Erikson´s  "Alexandra", but I´m rather doubtful....

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: April 16, 2009, 04:03:08 PM »
Could be...I mean, she was under so much pressure to become an heir, she had so much holy people around her, who suddenly told her, that she is pregnant (like a man called Nazier-Vachot)...I would not wonder if this is true

Offline Ally Kumari

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Russia
« Reply #415 on: April 16, 2009, 04:04:37 PM »
In 1896 there were no mystics around her yet. The reason why I doubt is that I´ve never seen it anywhere else, and Erikson is not really an expert.

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: April 16, 2009, 04:08:38 PM »
Ok, but I read it in Greg Kings "The Last Empress" too, that she had a miscarriage between Olga and Tatiana. About 1903 he was not sure if she had a miscarriage or a appearance of pregnancy. Don't know what is true... :-\
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 08:14:25 AM by Alixz »

Offline Ally Kumari

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Russia
« Reply #417 on: April 16, 2009, 04:21:08 PM »
I have not read Greg King´s book. I wanted to borrow it from the city library, as it´s not possible to buy it in shop around here, but somebody had stolen it! Still - are there any particular sources where Mr. King found it?

Offline Tina Laroche

• Graf
  • Give My Love To All Who Remember Me ~ Olga N.R.
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: April 16, 2009, 04:31:59 PM »
Could be...I mean, she was under so much pressure to become an heir, she had so much holy people around her, who suddenly told her, that she is pregnant (like a man called Nazier-Vachot)...I would not wonder if this is true

Well, Alix wasn't under that much pressure to produce a mail heir in 1896. She only had one daughter then - Olga. And, obviously, after Tatiana, Maria and Anastasia's births, the pressure grew...

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: April 16, 2009, 04:36:33 PM »
The miscarriage between Olga and Tatiana is a source of Mouchanov (do you know, who it is?). Before this, Queen Victoria wrote to Alix' sister Victoria if it is true that Alix is pregnant again (source: Victoria: advice) - newspaper wrote about it. After this, the miscarriage did happened. That's what Greg King wrote. The French Ambassador Paleologue wrote about a miscarriage in 1902. But this is not proved.
Hope you find the book soon. Its really worth reading it.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 08:15:36 AM by Alixz »