Author Topic: Nicholas II's Favorite Things  (Read 85632 times)

Offline dunya

• View Profile
Re: Nicholas II's Favorite Things
« Reply #90 on: March 16, 2007, 11:33:03 AM »
here's another photo.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 11:37:38 AM by dunya »

Offline Aine

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 30, 2007, 09:29:45 PM »
So after some time lurking anonymously I think I've determined that a request for information is the second worst way you can introduce yourself here, but I've been around and around and I cannot find the thread that had images of the Nicholas' watercolors/drawings/artwork.

Would someone be willing to redirect me, or begin the discussion/sharing anew?

::)

Aine
Aine

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 31, 2007, 08:08:37 AM »
I don't know if there ever was a thread specifically for Nicholas's art. I know I posted a drawing of his on the "Olga's Watercolors" thread, so maybe that's what you were thinking of. Anyhow....

This is the only one I've got a scan of, but there are definitely more:

THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 31, 2007, 11:59:48 AM »
He also did the drawings in his Jewel Book.  I posted a couple of pages of that. Somewhere.
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline Elisabeth

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 31, 2007, 02:54:28 PM »
The drawings and paintings of Nicholas II's childhood and adolescence were all done with the help of an art teacher. I've read this in several different places. Royal and imperial heirs of this historical period rarely if ever had to exhibit anything they had done solely by their own hand.

As far as I know, however, the art work of Nicholas II's daughters that we have was done solely by them. It's my impression that the rules of "tutorial help" never extended to the daughters of emperors.
... I love my poor earth
because I have seen no other

-- Osip Mandelshtam

TheAce1918

« Reply #95 on: March 31, 2007, 07:34:32 PM »

As far as I know, however, the art work of Nicholas II's daughters that we have was done solely by them. It's my impression that the rules of "tutorial help" never extended to the daughters of emperors.

It only makes their work more beautiful and precious.  I've always liked Tatiana's artwork especially, there is something so calm and warm about her style of art.

Offline AlekseyKrayevskiy

• 4 o'clock, the party is over
    • View Profile
    • http://maxfraikiev.livejournal.com/
« Reply #96 on: April 03, 2007, 04:01:05 AM »
Is anybody have jewelers album of Nicholas?
I'm interesting in his pictures of diadems - I have only 3 or 4.
In Kyiv I can't find this book.
Thanks
And there, where have left, we have met now again

Offline Binky

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 03, 2007, 06:49:38 AM »
Olga wrote this really good poetry and Tatiana did precious art and Nicholas painted really good watercolors.  They say that Alexandra could sing as good as real singers but didn't because she was so royal and Anastasia was supposed to of been this really funny comedian and the girls all played the piano that other people liked when they were allowed to listen.  I know they didn't rule Russia so good but they were all extra talented and should of been left alone by the revolutionaries.

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 03, 2007, 11:20:35 AM »
There no diadems in Nicholas' jewel album. It has is only his personal items, cufflinks, stick pins, etc.
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Olishka~ Pincess

« Reply #99 on: June 01, 2007, 06:40:29 PM »

Here is another picture of Nicky smoking with Olga, Tatiana and Anastasia in 1914. :)

Olishka~ Pincess

« Reply #100 on: June 01, 2007, 06:43:02 PM »
Here's a closer photo of Nicky smoking and Tatiana notice that he has his pipe cigarette holder.

Offline Lyss

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 14, 2007, 09:41:16 AM »
As a tsarevits, Nicky was taught to paint by someone named Kyril Vikentevich Lemokh (1841-1910). Lemokh seemed to be the keeper of the art department of the Russian Museum of Emperor Alexander III from 1897 to 1910 (according to N&A:the last imperial family of tsarist russia).
Lemokh himself was a great romantist painter.
Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.

Offline charley

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 01, 2007, 03:34:01 PM »
I read an account a few years ago that Nicholas had a special ring given to him by the Pope. I cannot remember what the original source was, but I followed it back to several other books until I ended up with a book written in 1906. Here is where I have hit a dead end. The book says that the Czar has (he is alive when this book was written) great confidence in relics and he wears a ring in which is embedded a piece of the true cross. The book says that it was originally a Vatican treasure that was presented to an ancestor of the Tsar for diplomatic reasons. If I recall correctly, the Tsar has more that one ring he wears. Is anyone familiar with this ring or heard this story?

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • City of Peter stand in all your splendor - Pushkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 01, 2007, 05:41:49 PM »
The only ring that Nikolai II always wore was his wedding band.

Margarita

Faces of Russia is now on Facebook!

http://www.searchfoundationinc.org/

Offline charley

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 02, 2007, 08:58:14 AM »

In this picture you can see two separate bands on the Tsars finger. Does anyone have a better picture of his rings and/or wedding band? The book goes on to say that a few years ago, he was travelling from St Petersburg to Moscow and when he realized he did not have the ring, he stopped the train and sent a special messenger back to get it. The book was written in 1908 so I am thinking it may have happened in 1905-06.
   I thought about the idea that he may have written about it in his diary and then I thought about my own similar situation. I have a special ring and had an incident with it, but I never mentioned it in my diary, so maybe he did not either.