Author Topic: What do you think of these books?please help  (Read 10789 times)

Offline newfan

• Graf
    • View Profile
What do you think of these books?please help
« on: March 26, 2009, 01:32:25 AM »
hi everybody
the other day i was in a used books store and went little crazy and got all these books and wanted to see what some of you think of them
1.THE LETTERS OF THE TSAR TO THE TSARITSA 1914-1917(PUBLISHED 1929)
2.THE LETTERS OF THE TSARITSA TO THE TSAR 1914-1916(INTRODUCTION BY sir Bernard Pares publ.1923)
   are these the same 2 books?
3.LETTERS OF TSAR NICHOLAS AND EMPRESS MARIE (EDITED BY Edward J.Bing publ.1937)
4.MOTHER DEAR:THE EMPRESS MARIE OF RUSSIA AND HER TIMES by V.Poliakoff(publ.1926)
5.AMBASSADOR'S DAUGHTER by Meriel Buchanan(publ.1958)
6.MEMORIES OF RUSSIA 1916-1919 by Princess Paley(publ.1924)
7.THE WILLY-NICKY CORRESPONDENCE by Herman bernstein foreword by Theodore Roosvelt(publ.1918)
8.NICHOLAS II THE LAST OF THE TSARS by Princess Catherine Radziwill (publ.1931)
9.ONE YEAR AT THE RUSSIAN COURT:1904-1905 byRenee Elton Maud(publ.MCMXVIII)
10.LETTERS FROM THE KAISER TO THE CZAR by Isaac Don Levine(publ1920)-is this the same as book # 7?
11.THE LIFE AND TRAGEDY OF ALEXANDRA FEODOROVNA EMPRESS OF RUSSIA by baroness S.Buxhoeveden (publ.1928)
12.BEFORE THE STORM by (same as above)publ.1938
13.THE TSAR AND HIS PEOPLE by Major -General A.Elchaninov
14.MY MISSION TO RUSSIA by George Buchanan (2 volumes in one )publ 1970
15.RUSSIAN MEMORIES by madame Olga Novikoff(publ1916?)

I got lots of others but i think i went little crazy($$$)and i love to keep these books  but i think i have to go and return some of them
I want to read them all but i have only 2 days to return them ..lol
I still might keep them ...just wanted to see if anybody read these boods and can tell me what they think
thank you!!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 01:34:14 AM by newfan »

Offline Ally Kumari

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Russia
Re: What do you think of these books?please help
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 05:30:34 AM »
Sophie Buxhoeveden´s book Life and Tragedy of Alexandra Fyodorovna is available online on the main APTM site. It is quite a good book, definitely worth reading...

Offline violetta

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 07:09:02 AM »
dear newfan

i will present some characteristics of the books that i`ve read and ou will decide for yourself which book (s) appeal (s) to you

2.THE LETTERS OF THE TSARITSA TO THE TSAR 1914-1916
(INTRODUCTION BY sir Bernard Pares publ.1923) - I LIKE THIS POSITION PESONALLY BECAUSE THESE LETTERS SHOW THE REAL NATURE OF THE TSAR & TSARITSA, THE ONE HIDDEN FROM EVERYONE. THEY WEREN`T MEANT FOR PUBLIC SO THEY `RE FULL OF VERY INTIMATE DETAILS. THEY TALK TO ECH OTHER LIKE LOVERS BUT ALSO DISCUSS POLITICAL AND MILITARY ISSUES E.G. WHICH MINISTER TO EXCHANGE, HOW TO FIGHT AGAINST DUMA.  ALSO, THEY SHOW THE SITUATION AT COURT, IN RUSSIA AS SEEN BY THE TSAR & TSARITSA ( VERY FRANK).  BUT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT WW I AND THE IF AND THE SITUATION IN GENERAL TO BE ABLE TO COMPREHEND.

.MEMORIES OF RUSSIA 1916-1919 by Princess Paley(publ.1924) -WHAT i LIKE ABOUT THIS BOOK IS THAT IT TELLS A LOT ABOUT THE EVENTS OF 1917 AND ABOUT MONTHS AFTER THE REVOLUTIONS & ABOUT THE FATE OF THE ROMANOVS AFTER THE REVOLUTION & ABOUT PRINCESS PALEY`S OWN FAMILY AND RELATIONS WITH THE ROMANOVS. INTERSTING INSIGHT

THE WILLY-NICKY CORRESPONDENCE by Herman bernstein foreword by Theodore Roosvelt(publ.1918) - IF YOU `RE INTERESTED IN POLITICS NOT ONLY IN THE ROMANOVS OR ROYALS GOOD CHOICE. YOU CAN FOLLOW THE COURSE OF MANY POLITICAL EVENTS AND NOT ONLY. EVEALS THE NATURE OF BOTH MONARCHS. LESS INFO ON THEIR RESPECTIVE FAMILIES.

LETTERS OF TSAR NICHOLAS AND EMPRESS MARIE (EDITED BY Edward J.Bing publ.1937) - ALSO SOMETHING NOT MEANT FOR THE PUBLIC, I GUESS. THE BOOK SHOWS THE TRUTH ABOUT MOTHE-SON RELATIONSHIPS, THEIR OPINIONS ON THE GIVEN SITUATION IN DIFFERENT PERIODS OF TIME. DEMONSTRATES THE EXTRAORDIANRY PERSONALITY OF EMPRESS MARIE WHO I RESPECT. REVEALS SOME DETAILS HIDDEN FROM THE PUBLIC.

WHILE MAKING A CHOICE PLEASE REMEMBER THAT THIS IS MY PERSOANL OPINION AND OTHE RFORUM MEMBERS MAY GIVE YOU DIFFERENT ADVICE

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 08:07:51 AM »
Overall, this is an impressive list of vintage sources. Personally, I'd be inclined to keep them all. Even the biased and less accurate volumes have historical value, IMO.

2.THE LETTERS OF THE TSARITSA TO THE TSAR 1914-1916(INTRODUCTION BY sir Bernard Pares publ.1923)
3.LETTERS OF TSAR NICHOLAS AND EMPRESS MARIE (EDITED BY Edward J.Bing publ.1937)

I have not seen these myself, but I believe they are fairly rare -- especially if they are the old editions rather than reprints -- and worth keeping as much for their collectible value as their value as sources.

Even if they are new editions, the first two volumes are comparable to The Complete Wartime Correspondence, which is extremely difficult to find for a decent price anymore.

]8.NICHOLAS II THE LAST OF THE TSARS by Princess Catherine Radziwill (publ.1931)

Radziwill is not generally renowned for her accuracy. Hers is more of a sensational tell-all style.

13.THE TSAR AND HIS PEOPLE by Major -General A.Elchaninov

If I recall correctly, this was an official biography approved by the tsar himself, making it extremely biased in favor of the Romanovs.
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 08:19:59 AM »
Also, I would suggest you go to Bookfinder.com and run searches on the titles you purchased. You'll be able to see if the books are widely available, and if the price you paid is comparable to the range they're currently selling in. Pay careful attention to the publication date when trying to match your copies with the others that are for sale; the value will always vary according to a book's age and scarcity.
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline s.v.markov

• Boyar
  • Sergei Vladimirovich Markov
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 03:16:29 PM »
Depending of course on condition and edition, that list is worth at least  UK£1,000, and probably more. Many of the books listed are extremely rare now, and command high prices when, on rare occasions, they come up for sale.

Offline newfan

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 05:49:56 PM »
Hi VIOLETTA,GRAND DUCHESS,SARUSHKA,S.V.MARKOV
And thank you all for such a fast reply.I have had some of the books on File "books i want and need"and couldn't believe when I saw them at the store .Some of the like Russian memories by madame Olga Novikoff,Tsar and his people ,Mother Dear by v.Poliakoff,One year at the Russian court by r.e.Maud ...I didn't know about these yet.Your advise its very important to me ...because now I can blame you for keeping them:)(just a joke)
Many of the books I got had still pages not separated ..so it means they were not read and are first editions.
Thank you again!
p.s i am off to the book store to check again(there goes my food stamp):)

Offline newfan

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 11:58:46 PM »
OK here are some other books ,please let me know what  you think of the books ...
1.MEMORIES OF FORTY YEARS by Princess Catherine Radziwill (publ.funk&wagnalls comp.1915)
2.THE DISILLUSIONS OF A CROWN PRINCESS by same as above (John lane comp.1919)
3.LOST SPLENDOR by Prince Felix Youssoupoff (publ.Putnam's sons 1954first American edition)-is this any diffrent the the newer edition?
4.THE DISSOLUTION OF AN EMPIRE by Meriel Buchanan (publ.J.Murray 1932)
5.PURGATORY OF FOOLS by Tatiana Metternich (publ.quadrangle 1976-i have read her book Tatiana Full Circle in a Shifting Europe, is it similar?I think it is, I read the later one a while ago
thank you all again

Offline violetta

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 06:34:31 AM »
.LOST SPLENDOR by Prince Felix Youssoupoff (publ.Putnam's sons 1954first American edition)-is this any diffrent the the newer edition

i`m not sure thar i`ve read an old edition of the book but definitely i read the new edition so i on`t know the difference. as for the book itself it is written in a way as if it was being narrated not written. as if youssoupoff was telling his story in front of you. you can learn a lot about his family, parents, ancestry, brother killed at the duel. his family history was always connected with the imperial history, with the history of the Imp family. a lot of details that you wont`t find anywhere else. what`s more, there is info on their life after the revolution, the youssooupovs had a very adventurous life abroad...smalll details is one of the main advantages...

Alixz

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 09:23:59 AM »
I would like to know where that book store is located!!!    ;-)

I have Mother Dear  by Poliakoff and its companion volume  The Tragic Bride

Both of mine are vintage copies and I enjoyed reading them.  Remember these books were written in the 1920s and have a different flavor as the author was actually alive during the time he writes of.

If I remember correctly he was in the plaza at the Winter Palace when the soldiers knelt as one to cheer the Tsar at the declaration of war in 1914.

I also have a vintage copy of Lost Splendor but although it was interesting it is a self serving story written by a spoiled and self serving prince.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 09:26:05 AM by Alixz »

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 09:41:59 AM »
hi everybody
the other day i was in a used books store and went little crazy and got all these books and wanted to see what some of you think of them

If you have both books, you can look at them and see if they are the same or not

In a word: keepers.   Also  if you did not pay a lot of money for them, consider resellling on Ebay and make a little profit.

4.MOTHER DEAR:THE EMPRESS MARIE OF RUSSIA AND HER TIMES by V.Poliakoff(publ.1926) there are far better books on Minnie
5.AMBASSADOR'S DAUGHTER by Meriel Buchanan(publ.1958)  Keeper
6.MEMORIES OF RUSSIA 1916-1919 by Princess Paley(publ.1924) Keeper
7.THE WILLY-NICKY CORRESPONDENCE by Herman bernstein foreword by Theodore Roosvelt(publ.1918)  Keeper
8.NICHOLAS II THE LAST OF THE TSARS by Princess Catherine Radziwill (publ.1931)   trashy
9.ONE YEAR AT THE RUSSIAN COURT:1904-1905 byRenee Elton Maud(publ.MCMXVIII) Keeper
10.LETTERS FROM THE KAISER TO THE CZAR by Isaac Don Levine(publ1920)-is this the same as book # 7?  different
11.THE LIFE AND TRAGEDY OF ALEXANDRA FEODOROVNA EMPRESS OF RUSSIA by baroness S.Buxhoeveden (publ.1928)  Keeper only for the value of being written by Sophie Buxhoevden.

12.BEFORE THE STORM by (same as above)publ.1938  Keeper
13.THE TSAR AND HIS PEOPLE by Major -General A.Elchaninov Keeper
14.MY MISSION TO RUSSIA by George Buchanan (2 volumes in one )publ 1970  (this is the reprint)   father of Meriel   keeper
15.RUSSIAN MEMORIES by madame Olga Novikoff(publ1916?)   never heard of this one.

I got lots of others but i think i went little crazy($$$)and i love to keep these books  but i think i have to go and return some of them
I want to read them all but i have only 2 days to return them ..lol
I still might keep them ...just wanted to see if anybody read these boods and can tell me what they think
thank you!!

Author of Queen Victoria's Descendants,
& publisher of Royal Book News.
Visit my blog, Royal Musings  http://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2009, 09:44:19 AM »
OK here are some other books ,please let me know what  you think of the books ...
1.MEMORIES OF FORTY YEARS by Princess Catherine Radziwill (publ.funk&wagnalls comp.1915)   She was such a hoot
2.THE DISILLUSIONS OF A CROWN PRINCESS by same as above (John lane comp.1919)  There is a lot of truth to this book
3.LOST SPLENDOR by Prince Felix Youssoupoff (publ.Putnam's sons 1954first American edition)-is this any diffrent the the newer edition?  HIS STORY
4.THE DISSOLUTION OF AN EMPIRE by Meriel Buchanan (publ.J.Murray 1932) Meriel had a first row seat ...
5.PURGATORY OF FOOLS by Tatiana Metternich (publ.quadrangle 1976-i have read her book Tatiana Full Circle in a Shifting Europe, is it similar?I think it is, I read the later one a while ago
thank you all again

Author of Queen Victoria's Descendants,
& publisher of Royal Book News.
Visit my blog, Royal Musings  http://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/

Offline newfan

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2009, 01:04:18 PM »
Hi alixz
The store is in NYC ,Manhattan it was closed I think they had to move out ,because of rent
I love to read vintage books ..they way its written ,the books are made all that.
Thank you for taking your time and answering my questions!
I am not sure if "Marlene"wanted to say something ,i just see that she copy my question but i don't see her reply..is it me?
I am looking for lots a other books....I love to get something on the Habsburgs.working on a  book "From archduke to grocer"by Leopold Wolfling
Another book Ill love to get is "Step Daughter of Imperial Russia"
"A poet among the Romanoffs:prince Vladimir Paley-this one is so expansive!!!!!!
my interest in royalty is not just imperial Russia but the Balkan royal family's ,french,..and"German"..since they were all so close related and when i read ones biography it leads you to another ones :)

Offline newfan

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2009, 02:44:14 AM »
I have a chance to get 2 other books i am not sure i should get ,first one is
THE KAISERS LETTERS TO THE TSAR -THE WILLY NICKY CORRESPONDENCE(HODDER AND STOUGHTON)... i have a book that sound similar ,that i just got its titled LETTERS FROM THE KAISER TO THE CZAR(FREDERIC STOKES COMP.1920?)..I AM GUESSING THE SECOND ONE WAS published in NYC and the first in GB..what would the difference be?
Then there is a book by V.M.Purishkevich:THE MURDER OF RASPUTIN(he was one of the murderers who killed R)its his diary..Is this book something that I should read??
I would appreciate your advice
thanks

Alixz

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2009, 08:35:10 AM »
What was the name of the store?  I often take the train into NYC and plan to do so in the next few weeks.  Perhaps if it has moved, I might be able to find it.

What excitement to be able to walk into a store that had all of those beautiful old books in such good condition!