Author Topic: King George I & Queen Olga (nee Romanov) of Greece Part 1  (Read 235669 times)

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/
Re: King George I & Queen Olga (nee Romanov) of Greece Part 1
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2004, 03:38:29 AM »
With the way families were so interconnected, it's amazing they weren't always in mourning for someone. When did Olga's father die?

He died in 1892.Hmm,possibly for him they were mourning..
As for "pinky ring" - I noticed such rings on many portraits of those times.I guess many men weared them.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2004, 03:50:56 PM »
If he died in 1892 that's probably not it--Olga looks to young still. That means it's neither of her parents nor probably their nephew Eddy or daughter Alexandra. Perhaps their daughter Olga who died at about 7 mos in 1880?
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Jim1026

« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2005, 08:52:36 AM »

It's been awhile since I have seen a picture of the royal burial ground at Tatoi, but this is how I think the line of
graves are.  George I, Queen Olga, Gdss. Alexandra,
Pss. Marie, Pss. Olga.  Their graves are marked by crosses and covered with a large stone like the Russian style.  Other family members are buried throughout the park and there are varying style of grave markings. :)

Have any of our posters seen a plan of the park at Tatoi?  IE lay out of the burial sites etc in conjuction with the main house. ???

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2005, 08:56:47 AM »
If he died in 1892 that's probably not it--Olga looks to young still. That means it's neither of her parents nor probably their nephew Eddy or daughter Alexandra. Perhaps their daughter Olga who died at about 7 mos in 1880?

When Svetabel first posted the picture she seemed to think that it was taken in the 1880's; it feesl more like a shot from that time as opposed to 1892......
'For a galant spirit there can never be defeat'....Wallis Windsor

'The important things is not what they think of me, but what I think of them.'......QV

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2005, 08:59:12 AM »
BTW, I have been hunting high and low for an image of MF wearing the mourning cap, with no success.  I am starting to think that I dreamt it!   Does anyone else recall an image of MF wearing mourning with this style of 'Marie Stuart' cap?

'The important things is not what they think of me, but what I think of them.'......QV

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2005, 02:02:29 PM »
BTW, I have been hunting high and low for an image of MF wearing the mourning cap, with no success.  I am starting to think that I dreamt it!   Does anyone else recall an image of MF wearing mourning with this style of 'Marie Stuart' cap?

Martyn, I looked through all my collection of MF images and books on her...It seems she never weared the mourning cap -I guess MF did not like it!

Jim1026

« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2005, 04:26:44 PM »
Grandduchessella did you say you had pictures of the graves of the Greek royal family at Tatoi ???

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 01, 2005, 06:28:37 PM »

Martyn, I looked through all my collection of MF images and books on her...It seems she never weared the mourning cap -I guess MF did not like it!

Oh that's not encouraging.  It is starting to look as though I have dreamt it - I'm having such a rubbish day!

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #53 on: January 01, 2005, 10:27:04 PM »
The royal cemetary at Tatoi is spartan by royal standards. I don't know how it looks in color, maybe foliage around brightens it up. It is very Greek, sitting on top of a moutain near an ancient fortress and the ruins of a temple to the Gods. There's one important non-Greek element though--the inscription Prinds Til Danmark (Prince of Denmark) since George I didn't surrender his Danish title nor his rights.

The Byzantine Church was completed in 1912. GI was supersititious and thought completion would signal his death. He was assassinated a few months later.

The tombs of George I, Queen Olga, Princess Alexandra (Grand Duchess Paul of Russia), Princess Marie aka Greek Minny (Grand Duchess George of Russia) and the infant daughter of G&O, Princess Olga are grouped together. Ironic how both Greek princesses ended up buried not in their adopted country of Russia, but in their homeland.

Most of the graves are outdoors but there's an open shrine at one end of the cemetary where the crypts of Constantine I, Queen Sophie and Alexander I are--both sides have tall windows to look out on the grounds
Nicholas and Helen are bureid in a double grave, as are Prince Christopher and his 2nd wife Princess Francoise (Orleans princess) of France. Prince Andrew's grave is her while Pss Alice is buried in Jerusalem.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by grandduchessella »

Offline PrinceEddy1864

• Knyaz
  • lovely louise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 01, 2005, 10:36:58 PM »
Where is Olga and George's son George burried, and how about Sophie's son George II?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 10:54:01 AM by Alixz »
from the top of the ocean to the bottom of the sky.
albert victor christian edward.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #55 on: January 01, 2005, 10:44:11 PM »
Wow, those are great photos, then again I do love graveyards. Anyways... I saw that book on ebay a while ago and was SERIOUSLY considering bidding on it, but decided against it. It looked great though. It is however a little pricy, I think and kinda hard to find.
Where is Olga and George's son George burried, and how about Sophie's son George II?

It's a great book but it is horribly hard to find and usually very expensive. It was from a publisher no longer in business (Marlene can shed light on this). I had originally bought it in college along with Romanov Diary. When I married into the military and had weight limits on household goods for each move (every 3 years, blah) I reluctantly parted with a good number of books as I was going through a down period in my royal interest. BIG MISTAKE!! Of course I came out of my funk and now have been replenishing my library at horrid costs. Luckily I actually found IOATG for just $8.  :o  I always joke that since I paid over $100 for Romanov Diary, on average it's not too bad. (This is what I tell my husband when he goes '$100 for a book?!'.)

George II, Paul I and Queen Frederika, Alexander I, Princess George (Princess Marie Bonaparte) are all buried there as well. (My shoulder just couldn't take the scanning/cropping anymore.) In the book, there's no grave shown but there is a 'memorial bell'. Since the book is so detailed, I'm not sure if that means he was cremated, didn't want a grave or what. It doesn't list him as buried with Marie ala Nicholas and Helen.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by grandduchessella »

Jim1026

« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2005, 08:03:19 AM »

Yes, I'm busy scanning and cropping right now! I only have them from a book. Can the graves actually be visited?

From what I understand people have crawled through the fence to see the graves and the park is not normally opened to the public.  Also Prince George is buried there and his wife Pss. Marie was cremated and her ashes placed in his grave.  If anyone knows if Pss Aspasia wife of Alexander I and her daughter  ex Queen Alexandra of Yugoslavia ex wife of Peter II and mother of the present pretender were buried near each other.  I have sought for a detailed plan of the park with burial site lay out without any luck. I also lost a book with pictures like those you show.  I can't find it anywhere it's not the one by Pr. Michael.  

By the way Grandduchessella thanks very much for posting the pictures.   ;D

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2005, 09:47:35 AM »
Queen Olga in a court dress.A Greek courtdress it seems.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by svetabel »

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2005, 09:54:37 AM »
And what about a pic below?  No retouche! ;) Alexandra Iosifovna,KR and Olga - from their family album. No official serious faces! Just mother and loving children.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2005, 01:50:19 PM »
Svetabel--you have to say where you got those from! I love the one of Queen Olga. The one of AI, KR and Olga is so sweet--what a tender image of a grown son and his mother.  :)