Discussions about the Imperial Family and European Royalty > Olga Nicholaievna

Looking for photo of Olga

(1/3) > >>

IlyaBorisovich:
I'm new to this discussion board, but I've long been drawn to the story of the Romanovs.  My favorite family member is Olga.  I've long been searching for a photo I seem to recall seeing once in an old library book.  It's a photo of Olga standing on a rock, probably taken during one of the family's vacations in the Gulf of Finland.  I've looked through the albums at yale.edu and while I didn't find that particular photo, I did find many that seem to have been taken on the same trip, such as Olga standing with Anya Vyrubova and Alexandra.  I've recently ordered the Prince Michael book from ebay,  and am hoping a copy of Count Grabbe's book will come up again (the last two were sniped out from under me).  Does anyone know if this photo has ever been posted online or where I might find it?  I'd appreciate any info.

Sarai:

--- Quote ---I've long been searching for a photo I seem to recall seeing once in an old library book.  It's a photo of Olga standing on a rock, probably taken during one of the family's vacations in the Gulf of Finland.
--- End quote ---

Welcome, Ilya. Can you give us more details about the picture you seek? For instance, what was Olga wearing in the picture, was she a child or did she seem to be a young teenager or an older teenager (her hair was worn up after she was 16), etc.?

I seem to recall a photo of Olga that I saw also in an old library book years ago, she was maybe 14 years old and standing barefoot on a rock, wearing a white dress. I believe this was taken at the same time as one of Alexandra and Anna Vyrubova (if I remember correctly), also barefoot in white dresses standing on a rock along a coastline.

I have skimmed through my copy of Prince Michael's book and I'm sorry to say that I didn't find a photo of Olga on a rock there. However, it has many, many other beautiful and candid photographs that you will love!

IlyaBorisovich:
Hello, Sarai,

The picture you're describing is exactly the one I remember seeing.  She was standing on a rock, wearing a white dress and was barefoot.  I seem to remember that she was facing the to the right of the picture, but looking at the camera and smiling.  I believe her hair was down, which would fit if she were only 14 or so.  The other photos of Anya V and Alexandra also fit, as I believe the photo was taken on the same trip as the one of Olga standing to the right of the reclining Alexandra and Anya.  I just wish I could remember the name of the book.  I remember that it wasn't a book of photos, but mostly text.  I think it might even have had the double eagle on the dust sleeve, but I'm not sure about that.  Anyway, at least I know now that this photo actually DOES exist, so I'm one step closer.  Thanks.

Ilya

Sarai:
Ilya,
I found a picture on the Beinecke site that matches the one I was thinking of, which you have already seen:
http://highway49.library.yale.edu/romanov/oneITEM.asp?pid=1001566&iid=1001566

I believe this picture was published in Massie's Nicholas and Alexandra. Now I am a little confused, as I don't know if it was this picture that I was thinking of originally or if there is another one of Olga just by herself from this same series. Well, I'll let you know if I ever find it, and good luck to you in your search.

IlyaBorisovich:
Sarai
First of all, thanks for all your help.  I have the photo that you posted the link to, but there is another from this same series of Olga by herself.  I now also remember that she was holding her skirt bunched up around her knees and looking like she would rather not have had her picture taken in such an awkward position, though still smiling.  It was an expression of bemusement, I recall.  I'll keep searching, and if I ever do locate it I'll try and post it here.  Thanks again.

Ilya

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version