Author Topic: Re: Personal Habits and Personal Style - Hair - Body #2  (Read 43432 times)

Offline Mie

• Boyar
    • View Profile
Re: Personal Habits and Personal Style - Hair - Body #1
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2006, 10:42:44 AM »
I'm not sure where I heard this information, I could have easily read it on here earlier and it stuck in the back of my mind! Women didn't expect to have many periods, because they were expected to produce a lot of children. I'm not sure if breastfeeding will put periods on halt, but women nursed children a lot longer than they do today.

I do not think -atleast never heard- that breastfeeding buts periods on halt but surely there may be a pauss becouse of the pregnancy: it may took some time when periods stard coming again after the birth. I've seen paintings where a woman feeds her children by breast and the child is kind of old... I think that the reason may bee she has no luck to separate the child from her breastfeeding ::) or becouse she is pregnant or has just laboured a child and there is coming milk -food: and normaly people did have lack of food so.... But if rich people breastfood their childrens really long I can only say they wanted to spoil them...  :-X

But rarely mothers even did breastfeed their babies! Even in some poorlier family they let the nurs do the job....

ferngully

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2006, 05:53:46 AM »
well in those days if you got your period early you were considered 'fast.'  of course they were married off once they started, its still a custom in the east. the only way they could ensure she wasn't doing anything with anyone but her husband and keep her trained for the rest of her life. that was the way. i found out why its called the curse now, becuase middle class women called it that while waiting for a baby, working class women called it a friend becuase it meant they weren't pregnant again
selina                                xxxxxxxxxxx

Offline CountessKate

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2006, 02:23:27 PM »
Breastfeeding does have a contraceptive effect, provided it is carried out full-time - women in this situation do not have menstrual periods.  The assistance which high-status women in history were given by wet-nurses who relieved them from their duties to breast-feed their own babies, ironically took from them one of the few natural contraceptive devices to which they had access, although they didn't know this.

Although women from Medieval times up to the 18th centuries were married very young, sometimes as children, they were seldom expected to have sexual relations with their husbands until at least their late teens, unless there was a very strong dynastic pressure for this - e.g. lack of heirs usually.  The reason for the early marriages were mainly political alliance, however, not having children as such, and it did seem to be known that there were dangers to very young mothers in pregnancies.  These were prevented by parents and guardians by continuing to educate the young married couples separately, and not allowing them to sleep together at once.  Edward I of England was married aged 15 to Eleanor of Castille aged about 10 in 1254, but they were not allowed to cohabit until their late teens and she did not have her first child until she was about 19 or 20.  Edward's sister Margaret was married to the King of Scotland, Alexander III, when he was 10 and she was 11, but similarly they were not allowed to cohabit until they were 17 or 18 (Alexander III had a fight about it with his advisers which is how we know about this).  In the 18th century there was a very romantic story about the Earl of March, whose father the Duke of Richmond settled a gambling debt with a friend by marrying his 17-year old son to the friend's 13-year old daughter.  "They're not going to marry me to that dowdy!" cried Lord March on seeing his bride, but they did.  He was then immediately packed off to Europe for his Grand Tour, without any question of consumating the marriage, and coming back to London 3 years later, went directly to the theatre rather than visiting his family.  There he saw a lovely woman in one of the boxes and when he asked who she was, was told "Where have you been, that you do not know the lovely Lady March, the town's latest toast?"  The couple then lived together as man and wife, and had an idyllic marriage - but again, she had her first child aged 20 so they obviously weren't rushing things.  

The mother of Henry VII, however, Margaret Beaufort, was married at 12 to Edmund Tudor who was 25.  She was a great heiress (and he wasn't well off), so there was thought to be a dynastic need to secure an heir and the marriage was consumated very soon after the wedding; Margaret bore her son Henry when she was 13.  She did not conceive afterwards (despite having 2 further husbands after Edmund Tudor's death) and it is thought that the pregnancy at such a young age had damaged her womb and rendered her infertile.  So I think it's clear that even in Medieval times, it was pretty well known that mensuration in a woman was not the only thing to consider in marrying off your children, and cohabitation was often delayed until the couple were more mature.

Offline Alibubba

• I Love YaBB 2!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2006, 07:24:49 PM »
I've found this a most interesting topic---I know I'm backtracking here, but thought I'd put my 2 cents in.  My grandmother was born in 1892, and she told me they made their own pads using lots of cotton wadding covered with cheesecloth, which they either pinned to the undergarment, or used a belt. I also read in Greg King's book "The Fate of the Romanovs" that sanitary napkins and belts were found in Nicholas and Alix's bedroom after they were murdered and the Ipatiev house was deserted.  In the same place in the book it said that condoms were also found hidden away in a dresser drawer in N and A's room. Evidently they had access to these kind of personal items. :o

Offline Alibubba

• I Love YaBB 2!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2006, 07:58:18 PM »
I read in Greg King's book "The Fate of the Romanovs" on p. 341 that after the family was murdered and the Ipatiev house was deserted, the investigators found,  hidden in Nicky and Alix's bedroom, condoms of various shapes and sizes.  They also "... found a number of merkins, pubic wigs that had belonged to the empress."  Now,  I,as a mother and grandmother, thought I knew about most worldly things;  but I'm darned if I know what a "merkin" or a "pubic wig" is!!!  I guess I'm not as enlightened as I believed!  I looked for the word merkin in the dictionary, and found nothing.  Does anyone know these things? Thanks.  :-? :o :-/

ferngully

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2006, 03:32:40 AM »
there was discussion about it ages ago, its a sort of wig for the pubic area, like a wig for the head if you lost hair ;D
selina                           xxxxxxxx

Offline Mie

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2006, 04:04:19 AM »
I had never heard of condoms etc. that they found in their rooms! :o thanks Alibubba and those words are unknow to me too and couldnot find the translation for them... :-/

Offline Kimberly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Loyaulte me lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2006, 06:19:19 AM »
there was discussion about it ages ago, its a sort of wig for the pubic area, like a wig for the head if you lost hair ;D
selina                           xxxxxxxx

Or if you shaved it off due to the presence of lice. (sorry)
Member of the Richard III Society

ferngully

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2006, 11:19:25 AM »
that too! i forgot that

Princess_Olishka

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2006, 01:33:12 AM »
They had used contraception for a fair reason. This is discussed on the Why didn't Alix have more children? thread.

OK, yet again.
Bob very much will appreciate that the "merkin" topic no longer be discussed. We asked the LAST time it came up that it NOT be brought up again. Please, our website is listed curriculum material for well over one hundred fifty elementary, middle, and high school classrooms in the US, England and Australia, so we have a lot of kids coming in. Thanks for understanding.
FA

Offline Alibubba

• I Love YaBB 2!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2006, 06:00:18 PM »
I apologize for bringing up a taboo term---I'm new to this, and while I have been reading voraciously every chance I get, I have not encountered this word before in the forum. There are many places I haven't even dived into, because there is so much! Since I read the word in "The Fate of the Romanovs", I was curious because I couldn't find it in the dictionary. ANYHOO---my sincere regrets! :-[ :-/ :'(
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Alibubba »

Princess_Olishka

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2006, 12:11:19 AM »
It's OK - just understand that the mentioning of the "merkin" is a bit inappropriate as the AP is also used for education.

For what Janet said earlier in the forum, protection was used during married life. It is fair why they didn't have anymore children. There wasn't any need to have anymore girls as there was already four, and since Alexandra carried haemophilia, I don't think she or her husband would want to risk giving another child haemophilia. And plus, Alexandra wasn't in the best of health. After each birth she rather weakened and spent more time lying down. But as for using protection before marriage, I can't really agree. It would be inappropriate to do it before marriage, and Nicholas and Alexandra didn't do anything outside their marriage. Just to point that out!

Offline Ortino

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Ortino
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2006, 12:43:46 PM »
I apologize for bringing up a taboo term---I'm new to this, and while I have been reading voraciously every chance I get, I have not encountered this word before in the forum. There are many places I haven't even dived into, because there is so much! Since I read the word in "The Fate of the Romanovs", I was curious because I couldn't find it in the dictionary. ANYHOO---my sincere regrets! :-[ :-/ :'(

I hope you won't find this offensive, but I hate it when the "I'm new, I didn't know any better" excuse is employed by newer members. It's not much of an alibi to begin with and if you are new then you have an even greater responsibility to read the rules and do your homework. In this day and age, most people don't belong to just one forum. As the rules are generally the same for all serious ones, if you're a member at one forum and you join another, you should take your skills with you.

Secondly, I can't figure out all the hubbub about them using protection--they clearly didn't want any more children and understandably so. Five was enough.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Ortino »

Offline Alibubba

• I Love YaBB 2!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2006, 04:50:34 AM »
Dear Ortino:  I don't take offense---I can understand your meaning!  But believe it or not, this IS my first forum---I'm an older lady who is brand new to the computer, and still learning what the buttons do!  In fact, I had to panic today on my library website,when a bunch of warning words came up and I had absolutely no idea what they meant!  :-X :P  I tried to order something, and I'm rather afraid what will show up...ANYHOO, I can only restate my regrets, and keep muddling through! :o

Offline Grace

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2006, 05:30:42 AM »
Don't worry, Alibubba, we all have to start somewhere.  Welcome to the forum!  :)