Author Topic: Re: Imperial Women's, Men's and Children's Clothing & Accessories #2  (Read 89497 times)

Offline MarieinParis

• View Profile
Re: Imperial Women's, Men's and Children's Clothing & Accessories
« Reply #150 on: August 24, 2007, 02:11:29 AM »
Annie – I really believe the answer to your question is you have to be trained to look regal. – Very tight and stiff stays will help, but will not replace training or even constant nagging from a governess.  All upper class European families thought they were born to rule, and a major part was looking both superior and different.  Middle class families copied the upper class, so the concept trickled down the social classes.

Today we value the ideas of free expression for us and our children. Until the 1920s it was the opposite – you had to conform to accepted ideas.  Here are some examples

Girls and boys were expected to always sit and stand straight.  If they didn’t they were punished.  If you used normal 19c school punishments today you would be in prison for cruelty/sadism etc!  So, children were motivated to adopt the correct but artificial postures.

Girls, in the 19cent wore stays from very early, even babies had stay bands. Ive seen a museum example of 1880s stays for an 8 yr old.  Not wasp waisted, but long with a rigid busk and a high back – no stooping in that.

As the example from C Vanderbilt tells us, rods up the back, backboards etc were used to teach upright deportment.  If you cannot bend at the waist or bend your shoulders forward to stop trying and remain rigidly upright.  If they weakened the muscles I don’t know how you would manage when the thing was removed (apart from a sigh of relief!)

There’s another thread Court Gowns/Dress about wedding dresses in 1913.  If you look she has her arm nearly straight but her elbow is way back.  Try this yourself, it is not easy, you have to pull your shoulders back.  I think this would have been natural for her, she was brought up to it.

Marie in Paris

Offline CountessKate

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 24, 2007, 05:10:25 AM »

A backboard. 

Offline historylover

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Writer and Editor
« Reply #152 on: August 24, 2007, 06:40:02 AM »
Even today one can see that actresses in some of the older films had excellent posture compared with women today. They certainly look much better!

When I went to school in the '60's we were told to 'sit up straight' and not slouch!  (This was primary school.)

Regards,
Lisa
www.bookaddiction.blogspot.com

Offline NoirFemme

• View Profile
    • Edwardian Promenade
« Reply #153 on: August 24, 2007, 02:15:08 PM »
There's a book I use for writing that was intended for actors and actresses of historical plays to show them how to move in their historical costumes. I'll see if I can find it.
Author of Historical Romantic Fiction
Edwardian Promenade

Offline historylover

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Writer and Editor
« Reply #154 on: September 06, 2007, 05:21:40 AM »
That would be very interesting, Noir Femme.  I'd like to read your books.  How can we find them?

Regards,
Lisa
www.webwritereditor.com
www.bookaddiction.blogspot.com

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/
« Reply #155 on: September 10, 2007, 08:13:45 AM »
One more example of a court gown, not a Grand Duchess version but a Princess one.

This is Princess Elena of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, future spouse of Prince Albert of Saxe-Altenburg. She was a daughter of GDss Ekaterina Mikhailovna and Duke George of Mecklenburg-Strelitz.

Offline CountessKate

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 10, 2007, 12:42:10 PM »
Here is Agnes de Stoeckl, whose husband was gentleman in waiting to Grand Duchess Marie ('Greek Minny'):

There was obviously a lot of leeway in how these grand court gowns could be interpreted.

Offline Stasie

• Sisters
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 11, 2007, 06:31:57 PM »
I'm doing a report in my Fashions class about the styles of the Late Victorian Era. Does anyone have any pictures or information on this subject. Not only the royalty's styles but also what the common people wore. Any help would be much appreciated.

Offline Grace

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 11, 2007, 06:46:03 PM »
Stasie, this link has quite a bit of information that should help you.

http://www.fashion-era.com/index.htm

Offline Stasie

• Sisters
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 11, 2007, 06:50:31 PM »
thanks so much!!

Offline gogm

• Graf
    • View Profile
    • Grand Ladies

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Being TampaBay is a Full Time Job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 11, 2007, 08:49:48 PM »
 Agnes de Stoeckl, whose husband was gentleman in waiting to Grand Duchess Marie ('Greek Minny) ', was /is absolutely beautiful!!!

TampaBay
"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.

Offline Clemence

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 13, 2007, 02:16:30 PM »
do you think women like wallis simpson or jackie kennedy had a regal posture or not?
'' It used to be all girls without clothes. Now it’s all clothes with no girls. Pity.''

Offline pandora

• Whatever you are, be a good one. Abraham Lincoln
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 13, 2007, 07:02:49 PM »
First let me say that I certainly believe Jackie Kennedy had a very regal posture. Her entire "being" seemed regal; but that's only my opinion.

It's been my thought, that the very nature of the clothing worn before present day lended to the attitude of the woman wearing the garment. For example, I certainly "feel" different when I'm dressed in more formal attire - church as an example -  than for one of my daughters' softball tournament. Hence, I'm thinking woman then "felt" the mood the clothing conveyed. But I definitely must agree that woman were taught this from a very early age.

Offline pandora

• Whatever you are, be a good one. Abraham Lincoln
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 13, 2007, 07:45:15 PM »
All of these photographs are gorgeous! Each picture tends to remind me of my mother's wedding photograph - her dress was made from "slipper" satin, simple yet elegant but what astounds me most was how tiny her waist was - 18 inches - and this was without the help of a corset!