Author Topic: Nicholas II - Head of the Romanovs and Family Man  (Read 110197 times)

Offline Katherine The O.K.

• Wells....HERE I COME!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Nicholas II - Head of the Romanovs and Family Man
« Reply #135 on: December 03, 2006, 12:58:38 PM »
Like Tatianolinshka said, I think Nicholas related to Olga best, because she was old enough that he could, in some ways I believe, relate to her on an adult level. She knew the most about her family's situation when compared to her sibilings, and I imagine they must have discussed stuff relating to that all the time.
"I must say, my facial hair is coming in nicely. I now look like some sort of feisty arabian lad who snatches pomegranetes from streetside vendors." - JC

Offline otma_gal3

• I <3 Nicky II!
    • View Profile
    • Eternally+OTMA
« Reply #136 on: December 03, 2006, 10:19:53 PM »
Since on every seperate forum there is an anecdote page...I was just wondering if there are any for Nicholas?

Made by grandduchess_42

Offline Katherine The O.K.

• Wells....HERE I COME!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 05, 2006, 08:35:03 PM »
Well, there is the story about the cross (my favorite)

Nicholas and his siblings were given hollow crosses containing beeswax with a piece of the one true cross somewhere inside it. However, they were given these presents during lent, and during one apparently difficult day of fasting, Nicholas opened his cross and ate the beeswax, holy relic and all. When asked, he confided that it had tasted 'immorally good'.

Nicholas was also very fond of his brother George, and he loved the jokes George would think up during lessons. So much, in fact, that he would copy them down and file them away in a little box. After George died and Nicholas became Tsar, he could be heard laughing as he read the jokes over again in his study.  :'( Very sad, IMO.

While not an anecdote, on one of the rare pictures threads in Having Fun, there is a picture of Nicholas riding piggy back on one of his cousins while sticking his arms out, shutting his eyes, and sticking out his tongue. There's also one of him and the same cousin (can't remember who it was) acting like monkeys. It's really, really funny, and quite touching.

*Some of the specifics of these stories may be wrong, so forgive me now!
"I must say, my facial hair is coming in nicely. I now look like some sort of feisty arabian lad who snatches pomegranetes from streetside vendors." - JC

Offline Caleb

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 18, 2006, 02:51:26 PM »
If I remember right, Nicholas II once refferred to Queen Victoria as "a round ball on shaky legs"

Offline Jarian

• Boyar
    • View Profile
    • freewebs.com/mariaromanov
« Reply #139 on: February 04, 2007, 05:57:47 PM »
That funny how he ate the beeswax  ;D

Offline rosieposie

• Graf
  • Eva Duarte de Peron, May 7 1919 - July 26 1952
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 20, 2007, 07:37:23 PM »
Hmm I cant really think of any.  But the Queen Victoria one is funny. Hee Hee.
Beautiful faithful Nargony.
Thanks Emily!

Miranda:" Everything begins and ends at exactly the right time and place."
"Picnic at Hanging Rock" (1975) Movie.

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
« Reply #141 on: February 20, 2007, 08:04:28 PM »
I like this one, courtesy of Spiridovitch:

One day in the Crimea, Nicholas was taking one of his usual long walks in the countryside, alone, followed only by a secret police agent.  He came across a small farmhouse, owned by a Jew, who advertised turpentine for sale. He saw the farmer, and asked if he could buy some turpentine... The Jewish farmer said "Go away. We don't sell retail. Wholesale only." Nicholas smiled and went on his way.  The police agent came immediately up to the Jewish farmer, asking "What did the Tsar ask you? What did His Majesty want with  you?"  The Jewish farmer said "tsar? What Tsar??" then went pale. He fell to his knees and begged the policeman to intercede on his behalf, swearing he didn't recognise the Emperor.

The policeman told Nicholas this story. Nicholas laughed and smiled. He then wrote out a request for a gallon of turpentine and sent it along with 20 gold rubles to the farmer to pay for it.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 09:17:59 PM by Forum Admin »

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #142 on: February 20, 2007, 08:44:38 PM »
I always enjoyed the one relating how he and George V--meeting in 1913 for Kaiser Wilhelm's daughter Victoria Louise's wedding--complained to each other about how they couldn't get time to chat privately because everywhere they went, Wilhelm popped up trying to get in on their conversations. It just struck me funny. Grown men, rulers of nations, yet they have the same problems with troublesome relatives at large family gatherings as we all do.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline azrael7171918

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 22, 2007, 10:49:44 AM »
I always enjoyed the one relating how he and George V--meeting in 1913 for Kaiser Wilhelm's daughter Victoria Louise's wedding--complained to each other about how they couldn't get time to chat privately because everywhere they went, Wilhelm popped up trying to get in on their conversations. It just struck me funny. Grown men, rulers of nations, yet they have the same problems with troublesome relatives at large family gatherings as we all do.

Funny or maybe it's not. I always considered World War I a family squable that got out of hand. Also I have a co-worker who does the same thing drives everybody nuts.

azrael

Offline Ocean268

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 13, 2007, 10:55:37 AM »
Surely Nicholas must have heard the rumors or the fact that their lives were in danger.  Why didn't he pack up the family and leave the country?   He had the forethought to move some of his money to the US and parts of Europe.  He could as least send his son and daughters to relatives outside Russia.

He had Royal family and relatives around the world, why didn't they come to his aid?  They could have set up a rescue mission to save them.  What happen to his trusted army?  Not all are turncoats.

When the world heard that the family was arrest, again where was the relatives?  England, France, Denmark and Germany had the Romanovs clan.  What did they do?  Sit back and wait?  For some unknown reason, until today not one of the Royals are talking about this.  Didn't Russia have any allies?

They weren't killed until months later.  Again a rescue mission could have saved them.

The Romanovs grandmother, aunts left. 

Is this because, as the orientials put it, "to save face" that's why they stayed?

Nicholas and Family, had a net worth at that time of 40 Billion american dollars.  Why didn't he feed his people?

Did Nicholas had a clue why his people were so upset? 

This whole tragedy is another retelling of the Marie Antoinette and the French Revolution.

Offline Justine

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 13, 2007, 03:06:40 PM »

Nicholas and Family, had a net worth at that time of 40 Billion american dollars.  Why didn't he feed his people?

You might not know that Nicholas had pay for a war from his own moneys.

I think Nicholas didn't even know how strong his people were upset. He was just reciveing messages from his wife, so he didn't knew everything. And for heaven sake, even if he'd knew about it, what it'd change?
He knew that the country needs reprganizations, but he wish to did it after war.
my deviant=>open for comissions

my Tumblr

Offline Rosemary*

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 13, 2007, 04:44:00 PM »
I do not think that Czar Nicholas had the least idea of the grave danger that he and his family were in, even up to the last minute of their tragic lives.  Otherwise, he would not have handed himself and his family over, bit by little bit, into the hands of his enemy, the people.  When he first abdicated, the "enemy" was of a different nature than in the tragic end.   I believe that his greatest flaw was an inability to discriminate between good and evil.

Rosemary 

TheAce1918

« Reply #147 on: May 13, 2007, 05:35:59 PM »
I do not think that Czar Nicholas had the least idea of the grave danger that he and his family were in, even up to the last minute of their tragic lives.  Otherwise, he would not have handed himself and his family over, bit by little bit, into the hands of his enemy, the people.  When he first abdicated, the "enemy" was of a different nature than in the tragic end.   I believe that his greatest flaw was an inability to discriminate between good and evil.

Agreed 100%.  The only other revolution with repercussions this size was the French Revolution about a hundred years earlier.  Nicholas had such a pride and trust with the Russian people, and his everlasting faith would never allow him to think negatively of his situations.  You cannot help but admire such faith and hope of peace.   :'(

Offline mr_harrison75

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 13, 2007, 08:29:51 PM »
Surely Nicholas must have heard the rumors or the fact that their lives were in danger.  Why didn't he pack up the family and leave the country?   He had the forethought to move some of his money to the US and parts of Europe.  He could as least send his son and daughters to relatives outside Russia.

He had Royal family and relatives around the world, why didn't they come to his aid?  They could have set up a rescue mission to save them.  What happen to his trusted army?  Not all are turncoats.

When the world heard that the family was arrest, again where was the relatives?  England, France, Denmark and Germany had the Romanovs clan.  What did they do?  Sit back and wait?  For some unknown reason, until today not one of the Royals are talking about this.  Didn't Russia have any allies?

They weren't killed until months later.  Again a rescue mission could have saved them.

The Romanovs grandmother, aunts left. 

Is this because, as the orientials put it, "to save face" that's why they stayed?

1- He thought that only the people of Petersburg was rebellious; that the "real" people of Russia was on his side.

2- He brought back all his money when the war began in 1914. He didn't think himself in danger; why should he sent his children away?

3- The Romanovs relatives and allies didn't want to get stuck with an unpopular chief of state. For example, England. George V first invited the Romanovs in England in 1917, but the Prime Minister, Lloyd George didn't want him in England (on the reason that the Empress was a German). As for the army, a majority of troops at the front mutinied, the garrison of Petersburg and even the Imperial Guard went on Kerensky's side. Only a handful of Cossacks remain faithful. As for escaping by themselves, even their yacht, Standart, was unavailable because the crew declared themselves for the Provisional government.

4- Apparently, a rescue attempt was in planning in 1918, but they couldn't do a thing because the Romanovs were too well guarded in Ekaterinburg. Though they were under observation practically till the end.

5- There was food, but it never came in time to Saint-Petersburg, so it was famine; and that was Nikolaï II's main mistake, he should never have gone to the armies. He should've stayed in Petersburg, and take care of the food supplies, and let grand-duke Nikolaï with the armies. So the Tsar could've reacted quickly and who knows even stay in power.

Offline Rosemary*

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 14, 2007, 01:30:30 AM »
There was food, but it never came in time to Saint-Petersburg, so it was famine; and that was Nikolaï II's main mistake, he should never have gone to the armies. He should've stayed in Petersburg, and take care of the food supplies, and let grand-duke Nikolaï with the armies. So the Tsar could've reacted quickly and who knows even stay in power.

It is my understanding that Nicholas' advisors begged him not to go to the front.  It was their reasoning that if theTsar was present at the front with the armies, then he would have to take personal responsibility for all that went wrong there.  Not only did he not listen to this good advice,  but he made the fatal mistake of leaving Alexandra "in charge" as head of state during his absence.

He seemed to be so out of touch with the reality of his people, his only reality being his wife who was egging him on....

Nicholas mother tried to warn him through his mistakes, but Nicholas wouldn't seem to listen to anyone but his wife, not even to his mother who was frightened for him...