Author Topic: Post-Mortem pictures  (Read 71499 times)

Offline Yelena Aleksandrovna

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • *Glitter Of The Past*
Re: Post-Mortem pictures
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2010, 03:23:52 PM »
Dead Empress Charlotte of Mexico
Click here
Dead Emperor Maximilian of Mexico
Click here

Offline Elisabeth

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2010, 02:05:52 PM »
For anyone who is interested, there is a very interesting book, consisting almost entirely of illustrations, about ordinary people's burial pictures that was published back in the 1970s. It's called Wisconsin Death Trip. This book shows that it was common not only among European royalty, but also among European immigrants to the United States in the 19th-20th centuries (once the technology became available) to photograph their dead loved ones in coffins. This book is morbid as hell, but it's worth a gander, if only to see what bizarre roots we sprang from as a nation. I was most recently reminded of it when watching that Nicole Kidman movie The Others, in the scene where she looks through Victorian photograph albums of the dead.

... I love my poor earth
because I have seen no other

-- Osip Mandelshtam

Offline newfan

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2010, 07:34:30 PM »
Dead Empress Charlotte of Mexico
Click here
Dead Emperor Maximilian of Mexico
Click here

The coffin looks strange ..not like today's ,is it the one he was transferred in back to Vienna?Are his eyes open??Or is it the picture?

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • *Glitter Of The Past*
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2010, 12:23:03 PM »
Well, he stayed in Mexico a bit before being taked to Vienna, so that was the coffin where he stayed for a few months and I think that in Vienna he was changed to the one we know. As I see his eyes are open...

aleksandr pavlovich

« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2010, 02:05:07 PM »
Re Reply # 30 and the death photo of the Emperor Maximillian of Mexico:  I feel certain that the container is a "shipping/transfer" case.  About the eyes:  Eyes deteriorate after death, causing "sunken" orbits.  I read sometime back (but do not have the source readily available, and cannot vouch for the veracity of the information) that his eyes suffered as a result of a mis-aiming of the firing squad.  Thus his natural eyes were SAID to be replaced by black GLASS eyes, supposedly taken from a religious statute.  So the Emperor who arrived in Mexico as a blue-eyed individual, went home with dark eyes.  (IMO, It is easy to believe that the eyes shown here ARE artifical, due to their brightness and firm appearance, resulting in relatively non-sunken orbits.)  AP.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 02:14:28 PM by aleksandr pavlovich »

Offline Teddy

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/Booksvanhoog
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2010, 05:25:13 PM »
Last month I read a book that even the Archduchess Sophie didn't regonisze her own son when his body arrived in Vienna.

Offline newfan

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2010, 10:47:48 PM »
Thank you all for the info...Teddy where did you read the info that his mother didn't recognize her son, in a book or just a article?

Offline Teddy

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/Booksvanhoog
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2010, 04:38:25 AM »
Newfan, it was in a book. Today I go back to that bookshop and I will let you know the title and author.

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • *Glitter Of The Past*
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2010, 11:43:52 AM »
Is known that Archduchess Sophie didn't recognize him because his face was damaged as result of the shots he received at his execution, the saddest thing here is that the ex-emperor told to the soldiers who were going to execute him that he would offer him gold if they promised not to shot in his face because his mother would be scared, so they promised him not to shot on his face and took the money but they didn't fullfill their promise. I haven't noticed that his eyes were of glass, of course they weren't naturally dark!

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2010, 06:06:28 PM »
http://www.paulfrecker.com/collections.cfm?&pagetype=library&typeID=1&ShowStart=1&ShowEnd=8&myPage=1

Here is a site full of this kind of photography. I find the children especially sad and beautiful.

Offline Carolath Habsburg

• Velikye Knyaz
  • As seen on TUMBLR!
    • View Profile
    • Victorian & edwardian roleplay in spanish!
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2010, 07:25:56 AM »
Thanatos.net also has a huuuge collection of PM images ;-D

Courtesy of Grand Duchess Ally

"...Пусть он землю бережет родную, А любовь Катюша сбережет....". Grand Duchess Ekaterina Fyodorovna to Grand Duke Georgiy Alexandrovich. 1914

Join the cause "We want an Ignore button

Offline ashanti01

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2011, 07:43:10 PM »
Grand Duchess Alexandra Iosifovna

Grand Duke Vladimir

Offline Naslednik

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2011, 10:10:21 PM »
Sorry to come to this discussion so late.  I'm a Curator of a photo collection, and have some daguerreotypes.  The university also has post-mortem daguerreotypes, which are very special because they tell us how the public venerated photography in its infancy.  Dagueurreotypes were so unusual that they were reserved for special subjects: famous people, loved ones, scientific firsts, etc, and also post mortem dags.  It is comforting to think that for the first time, a daguerreotype gave a (wealthy) person the chance to remember a special face before that memory faded.  The practice doesn't bother me at all.  You can see some post-mortem dags here:

http://via.lib.harvard.edu/via/deliver/advancedsearch?_collection=via

Just type in "daguerreotype" and "post-mortem" and you'll see about 8.  One of them is Harriet Beecher Stowe's son.

Offline monsull

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2012, 07:30:42 PM »
There is a deathbed photo pf the Prince Consort. I have just seen it for the first time in Helen Rappaport's new book "A Magnificent Obsession" . I'm not sure I am going to be able to post the photo correctly, but will try...

Offline monsull

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2012, 07:39:44 PM »

« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 07:44:30 PM by monsull »