Author Topic: Tsareubiitsa: The Assassin of the Tsar - Malcolm McDowell  (Read 46787 times)

Offline Laura Mabee

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Frozentears.Org
Re: Tsareubiitsa: The Assassin of the Tsar - Malcolm McDowell
« Reply #75 on: February 04, 2006, 12:32:05 AM »
Lanie and I talked about this once. I think we came up with:

Olga

Tatiana

Maria

Anastasia

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 18, 2006, 09:35:02 PM »
There seem to be LOTS of this movie (new & used) available at amazon.com right now:
Assassin of the Tsar
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Caleb

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 21, 2006, 07:15:59 PM »
That's cheap. I guess I could ask for it for my birthday (which is on March 5th-I can't believe I'll be 17!)

Jay

« Reply #78 on: April 23, 2006, 09:21:55 AM »
After viewing the various posts here, becoming intrigued, and seeing the screenshots on Laura's site "Frozen Tears"; I've just purchased a DVD from Amazon.com and can't wait to see it. Everyone seems to think that it's worth getting so I'll give it a go too. I wonder what my opinion of the movie will be?

TsarCharles87

« Reply #79 on: May 22, 2006, 12:25:36 AM »
Aye 'twas a very good flick.  Just one objection.  HATED THE ENDING.   >:( :'(

TheAce1918

« Reply #80 on: June 04, 2006, 06:33:27 PM »
I saw this movie from the Frozen Tears website.  It was very good, well acted and written but the ending was beyond sad :'( :-[

Alixz

« Reply #81 on: June 13, 2006, 08:54:41 AM »
Amazon does indeed have many many copies of this movie starting at $3.99.  It is in English and
Region 1.

I just ordered it, but I wish that a previous poster had not revealed some of the ending!   :(

Still, I can't wait for it to get here!

Does anyone know if it based on a book?  And if so, who wrote it?

Offline koloagirl

• Graf
  • Loving each other and having faith always.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 21, 2006, 10:01:15 PM »
 :)

I just finished watching my newly purchased copy (thru Amazon - on the cheap!) -- of this film.

I think it is wonderful -- the first thing I did afterwards was go on the IMDB website to look up info on the film -- there isn't too much unfortunately, it only played at film festivals - never had a release in the U.S. -- but it was apparently filmed on location in Russia and I agree that the re-creation of the house in Ekaterinburg was amazing looking -- pretty good re-creation!  There is a link on IMDB to interviews that Malcolm McDowell gave about the film and they are pretty interesting also -- tells you a lot about film-making in the Soviet Union right before the fall.  Even he said that he didn't fully understand the script or what some of the events meant...so don't feel bad if you are confused!

I recommend it big-time --- and no, it isn't based on a book. 

One of the few IF films that you don't cringe every 2 minutes in because of the portrayals. 

Janet R.
Janet R.

Offline dunya

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 15, 2007, 06:01:51 PM »
Hi, I dont understand it, the original language of the movie is English not Russian, I wish it was tho. So why you need subtitles?
You can watch the movie on frozentears , its in English,too.

Actors are terrific really, espeacially MacDowell is living it, litterally. It was one of the best movies I've ever seen, not because its about Romanovs; it was just very interesting and personality of Yurovsky was very good described. Dont you think? All he wanted to be a great man not a mediocre one. It was quite impressive. About that missing little grl, I know it may sound cliché but she was maybe his conscience ?

Offline GDLynn

• AnastasiaNRfan
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 23, 2007, 11:05:26 AM »
Hey! I just saw this movie! and I loved it. I think the actor that played Nicholas looked like him....and same with Alix and Alyosha! I'm watching "Nicholas and Alexandra" now....it's good so far! 

Lynn

Bob_the_builder

« Reply #85 on: May 23, 2007, 03:39:21 PM »
What I found interesting are the little hints that Anastasia escaped. They kept talking about a lady whose daughter went missing. Don't know exactly what it had to do with Anastasia, but if you notice at one point in the movie Anastasia says something to Nicholas and Yurovsky asks, "What did Anastasia say to you that day?" And then there are only 3 Grand Duchesses on the cover of the film. And that at the end that man says, "I didn't kill her." Very interesting little twist.

Offline rosieposie

• Graf
  • Eva Duarte de Peron, May 7 1919 - July 26 1952
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 28, 2007, 08:40:48 AM »
Well from watching it.  During a scene were Nicky was reading the newspaper to everyone.  Nicky reads aloud about the little girl who was ten and was last seen going to her grandmother's or to a bakery (I cant recall at present as I am at work).  So it wasn't talking about Anastasia. I have to say the actress portraying Alix didn't really look much like her. 
I suppose one of my favourite scenes would be where Anastasia is reading to Alix from a religious book, while the rest go for a walk.  It seems interesting as the one of the women scrubbing the floor doesn't want to look at Alix and when she does they both look in each others eyes I am not sure what to say maybe a sign of understanding.

I have the dub version which I got from eBay.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 11:33:37 AM by Alixz »
Beautiful faithful Nargony.
Thanks Emily!

Miranda:" Everything begins and ends at exactly the right time and place."
"Picnic at Hanging Rock" (1975) Movie.

Offline azrael7171918

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 28, 2007, 09:05:09 AM »
I suppose one of my favourite scenes would be where Anastasia is reading to Alix from a religious book, while the rest go for a walk.  It seems interesting as the one of the women scrubbing the floor doesnt want to look at Alix and when she does the both look in each others eyes I am not sure what to say maybe a sign of understanding.

That was not Anastasia as the girl's hair was up it was Marie.

Azrael

TheAce1918

« Reply #88 on: May 28, 2007, 12:19:30 PM »
I suppose one of my favourite scenes would be where Anastasia is reading to Alix from a religious book, while the rest go for a walk.  It seems interesting as the one of the women scrubbing the floor doesnt want to look at Alix and when she does the both look in each others eyes I am not sure what to say maybe a sign of understanding.

Azrael

That was one of my favorite scenes as well.  The look from Marie's eyes hold to their legend.  When she stares at the scrubbers, it just emits a sense of hope, but exhaustion.  As I mentioned before...a sad, very sad movie...but well done nonetheless!

Offline rosieposie

• Graf
  • Eva Duarte de Peron, May 7 1919 - July 26 1952
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 29, 2007, 06:39:31 AM »

Azrael

Uh your forgetting that Anastasia was 17 when she was killed she was old enough to have her hair up.  Notice this pic taken in Toblosk she has her hair up.   and the girl protraying Anastasia was a brunette. 

Beautiful faithful Nargony.
Thanks Emily!

Miranda:" Everything begins and ends at exactly the right time and place."
"Picnic at Hanging Rock" (1975) Movie.