Author Topic: Lippe Family  (Read 46305 times)

Offline regensburg

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Lippe Family
« on: June 20, 2009, 02:02:49 AM »
The Lippe family and the various branches are not well illustrated, at least not on the net. The Schaumburg-Lippe and Lippe-Biesterfeld branchesare better known and seem to have more published portraits. I cannot find any portraits of Leopold I Fürst zur Lippe-Detmold (1767-1802) and the Counts of Lippe-Weissenfeld are only represented by Egmont (b 1918). Does anyone know if there is any further info out there or whether portraits hang in any of the proprties?

Offline regensburg

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Lippe Family
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 02:57:54 AM »
I'll attempt to post the heads of Schaumburg-Lippe below

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 06:27:08 PM »
Great new thread...You are so right about Lippe-Weissenfeld family...nothing about them except Egmont...although I don't think Lippe family was mediatized...maybe I am wrong..there is a site about Schaumburg-Lippe Princes with their portraits,but you must by them if you want to see them without watermark...site is localpic.de...if you haven't seen try there...number of photos and number of portraits from the Lippe family just with watermark...you also have some members of Lippe-Alverdissen branch but not Weissenfeld :( If you find something without watermark please post...

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 03:59:02 PM »

The Lippes were sovereign families - not mediatized.

Great new thread...You are so right about Lippe-Weissenfeld family...nothing about them except Egmont...although I don't think Lippe family was mediatized...maybe I am wrong..there is a site about Schaumburg-Lippe Princes with their portraits,but you must by them if you want to see them without watermark...site is localpic.de...if you haven't seen try there...number of photos and number of portraits from the Lippe family just with watermark...you also have some members of Lippe-Alverdissen branch but not Weissenfeld :( If you find something without watermark please post...
Author of Queen Victoria's Descendants,
& publisher of Royal Book News.
Visit my blog, Royal Musings  http://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 06:03:01 PM »
I thought so too...but I think it's good to have a thread about them since there isn't any on this board...hope for more posts about this family!

Offline HerrKaiser

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 10:48:30 PM »
Interesting, but according to Wikipedia the Lippes were mediatized.

"Mediatized sovereign houses rank higher than other houses of nominally equal (or higher) rank, but who never ruled a state.[citation needed] This division had great social significance, as mediatized princes were considered equal to royals for marriage purposes; in essence they were regarded as royalty. Thus if a scion from the most obscure mediatized family (say the child of an impoverished mediatized count) married an emperor or a king, their alliance was considered equal, not morganatic, and their children could inherit dynastic rights. Thus the children of Ernst Count zu Lippe-Biesterfeld, though the children of a Count, were called princes, and the son of his second son, Prince Bernhard of Lippe-Biesterfeld, was fit to marry Juliana, Crown Princess, later Queen, of the Netherlands and their eldest daughter, Beatrix, today occupies the Dutch throne."
HerrKaiser

Offline Grand Duchess Jennifer

• Graf
  • "Give my love to all who remember me"-Olga,1918
    • View Profile
    • The Last Grand-Duchesses of Russia-OTMA
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 12:57:54 AM »
A couple pictures of Karoline of Lippe:

House of Lippe: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Lippe
Other people from the house of Lippe: http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special%3ASearch&search=Karoline+of+Lippe
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 01:24:58 PM by Svetabel »

Please visit www.freewebs.com/grand-duchessesofrussiaotma/
Banner and Icon by Ally

Naslednik Norvezhskiy

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 05:55:24 AM »
Regarding mediatisation of the Lippes:
My impression is that except for the reigning Lippe lines (Lippe-Detmold and later Lippe-Biesterfeld and Schaumburg-Lippe), the lines could not be mediatized since they never were reigning (even though they probably were regarded as members of a reigning house). A line like Lippe-Weißenfeld (whose estates seems to have been mainly in Saxony, Lausitz and Silesia) strikes me as similar to the Augustenburgs in Schleswig-Holstein: Non-sovereign, "appanaged" cadet branches of a reigning house. Is that correct?

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 09:38:49 PM »
True,but again as Augustenburgs were "good enough" for German Emperor,Danish King,Princess of Great Britain I would assume that they were treated as such(equal)...so,if you compare their situation I think Lippe-Weissenfeld line should be treated as the Augustenburgs no matter they didn't make such grand marriages,maybe just to the fact that their territory was not big enough to make such a large family rich or maybe not in "strategic position" as the Schleswig one...

Also,although equal they were made Princes just at the beginning of the 20th century unlike the Augustenburgs for example...they were second reichsgrafen line of the reigning Princely line until 20th century...but still equal...

Their case is similar to me to Anhalt case where only Anhalt-Bernburg-Schaumburg-Hoym line was mediatized unlike other lines...

There is also a book about this line of the family called „275 Jahre Lippe-Weißenfeld vor Detmold" by Princess Margarete zur Lippe-Weissenfeld:

If anyone has the book,I am interested in reports about it!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 01:26:00 PM by Svetabel »

Naslednik Norvezhskiy

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 10:12:56 PM »
I agree Marc, there were apanaged lines which were neither immediate nor mediatized, but were cadet branches of sovereign houses and thus equal.

In Lippe's case one cadet branch, Lippe-Alverdissen, rose to become sovereign rulers in their own territory when parts of the County of Schaumburg fell to it by inheritance and the new House of Schaumburg-Lippe was founded.

Though the Lippe-Brake line apparantly also had airs and graces of sovereignty and allied themselves with Prussia against the senior line!

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 07:25:52 AM »
I wonder what kind of relations had Lippe-Biesterfeld line with Schaumburg-Lippe line after dispute over sovereignty and inheritance of Principality of Lippe?

I assume that Lippe-Biesterfeld and Lippe-Weissenfeld lines were on very good terms since Weissenfeld-elder line were created Princes during the reign of Biesterfeld line I think in 1916 and again in 1918 all members of Weissenfeld line were created Princes just 3 days before abdication of sovereign Prince Leopold IV zur Lippe...

Offline BethLippe

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 02:22:00 PM »
Wow. I've been looking for stuff on my family from way back and I think I hit the jackpot.

aleksandr pavlovich

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 03:24:01 PM »
Re Reply # 11:  I would be EXCEPTIONALLY careful/wary about finding information (or "stuff") on here with the same surname/partial surname as yours, and then making the connection without documented, proven lines of descent. (You might also see my remarks on your posting on the "Mary Boleyn's Children" topic.)   Regards,  AP
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 03:45:50 PM by aleksandr pavlovich »

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2010, 11:24:02 PM »
This might be a little off topic,but I don't get why Lippe family is among mediatized families when Lippe was a ruling family and neither branch was listed as mediatized,unlike Anhalt where one branch was mediatized while the other remained the ruling ones...

Naslednik Norvezhskiy

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2010, 04:33:30 AM »
Wow. I've been looking for stuff on my family from way back and I think I hit the jackpot.

The Princely House is (Prinz)essin)) zur Lippe, from your other posts I see that you are "just" a Von der Lippe / Van der Lippe.

The bourgeois Von der Lippe family takes its name from the Lippe river in northwestern Germany just like the Princely House of Lippe, but they are not related. Northwestern Germany is exactly the region where a "von" name not necessarily implies nobility (but merely origin), analogue with "van" names in the neighbouring Netherlands. BTW Lippe means "lip" in German.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 04:37:06 AM by Fyodor Petrovich »