Author Topic: Re: Albert Stopford  (Read 17249 times)

Offline Nags

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Albert Stopford
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2005, 03:26:55 AM »
Dear Mr Clarke,

Thank you very much for the information. I believe that Albert Stopford was a cousin (removed by several generations), and as such would be particularly interested in any information about this parents and their family.
Many thanks
Nags

Offline clarkevista

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2005, 06:58:08 AM »
In answer to a couple of questions about Stopford's scandal, yes, it was related to a homosexual affair with a soldier. It was not in Hyde Park, but alleged to be in a hotel. I wish I could give you the rest, but I still have to keep some of the details for the book !

William Clarke  

Sunny

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2005, 08:25:58 AM »
Mr. Clarke, having enjoyed The Lost Fortune of the Tsars , I look forward to your new work. Many thanks for the tiny preview.

Sunny

Offline James1941

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2005, 01:56:39 PM »
Thanks for your prompt reply, Mr. Clarke. I feel relieved that my neck won't be chopped off when I venture to stick it out as far as I did on that affair.
Since Stopford was a friend of Felix Yusupov I am now looking forward more than I did to your book about him.
Please keep us informed as to its progress.
Again, thank you for answering.
James1941

Offline Wartski

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2005, 08:12:35 AM »
Albert Stopford was a customer of Faberge and bought a number of important pieces from the firm's London branch.

Offline lancashireladandre

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2005, 02:08:52 PM »
Albert Stopfords background is mentioned in the entries for the Earl of Courtown in Burkes Peerage.He was a younger  son and despite his tendancies married twice the first time before the scandal, the second time to a scandanavian lady.He seems to have been a fascinating character & a loyal friend. Cannot wait to read the book

Offline lachie

• I Love YaBB 2!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2006, 07:29:14 AM »
Bertie Stopford kept popping up when I was researching Faberge Eggs: A Retrospective Encyclopedia (Scarecrow 2000). I always meant to follow up his escapades on behalf of various Romanovs but never got round to it. I am delighted William Clarke will soon remedy this situation. May I also take this opportunity to publicly thank Mr Clarke and his wife for their assistance (way back in 1995) in the compiliation of the encyclopedia.

Lachie (aka Will Lowes)

Offline Mazukov

• Boyar
  • Time it was, what a time it was.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2006, 08:49:12 PM »
Has Mr. Clarke new book been published as of yet?

Offline LisaDavidson

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2006, 04:04:13 PM »
 I find no mention of this book on either amazon.com or amazon.com.uk

Offline Mazukov

• Boyar
  • Time it was, what a time it was.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2006, 05:49:52 AM »
Thanks nor could I

Offline rgt9w

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2009, 10:23:26 AM »
The long awaited book by William Clarke about Albert Stopford is now available from the National Museums of Scotland website.

http://shop.nms.ac.uk/products/Hidden-Treasures-of-the-Romanovs%3A-Saving-the-Royal-Jewels.html

Offline Tatyana

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2009, 10:59:57 PM »
I have just received this book & read approximately the first 1/4, and find it EXCELLENT! I have read & re-read "The Russian Diary of an Englishman" and everything else in English & French about Stopford & GD Maria Pavlovna (unfortunately can't read Russian) -- and this is a very welcome addition.