Author Topic: The Prettiest/Handsomest/Cutest/Most Beautiful  (Read 116309 times)

Offline Abby

• Knyaz
  • July 18th 2005: 87 years
    • View Profile
Re: The Prettiest/Handsomest/Cutest/Most Beautiful
« Reply #105 on: December 15, 2004, 12:09:39 PM »
I agree, Michelle. Sunny, Val and Michelle thanks for your compliments; I only regret that we could not have known the Grand Duchesses and judge for ourselves!

Val289

« Reply #106 on: December 15, 2004, 12:21:19 PM »
You're certainly welcome Abby!  It would have been very interesting (and probably entertaining!) to have had to chance to meet and converse with the Grand Duchesses......

Offline Dasha

• Knyaz
  • Love of a child is the greatest gift.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 15, 2004, 04:42:28 PM »
Great insights, Abby, Val, and Michelle.  Inner beauty counts so much more then outer, because looks fade and one's personality stays.  If the girls had a chance to live full lives, God only knows what they would have achieved.  They had so much to give, and it is a shame to say the least that the world never got a chance to know them.    

Dasha
~Dasha~

'I'm meant to fly,
Sail unrestrained'.

"Woman" from "The Pirate Queen"

Teacher-in-Training
Blockhead for Life (Stephanie J Block is simply excellence)
Lover of (Almost) All Things Jane Austen
Broadway Addict
Anglophile
History Buff

Offline Yoyo

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 18, 2004, 03:13:28 PM »
=Is the question shallow? Yes. But do we need to be so darn serious all the time? I was getting a manicure and pedicure yesterday, and suddenly this profound thought of extreme historical importance came through my head: what kind of beauty regime did the GD's have? I was going to post it on this forum, but don't worry, I won't because now I'm afraid I'll get pounded for being too shallow.
8)
Yoyo
"That's no reason to go ripping people's heads off, boy"
Mr. Krabbs to Spongebob Squarepants

Dashkova

« Reply #109 on: December 18, 2004, 03:28:57 PM »
Ummm, didn't you just do that?  Post the question, that is?   I, for one, think it's an interesting question to bring up and not really related to the "who's the cutest" fascination.

My understanding is that most ladies of the era did not commonly wear cosmetics, or at least, did not want it *known*.  I have also read where Max Factor made the GD's up for some of their portraits.  

Offline Elisabeth

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 18, 2004, 03:46:44 PM »

Yes, that's what I mentioned earlier too, about the faces that were judged most attractive all being computer generated and not belonging to real people. That's because there is no such thing as a perfectly symmetrical face.
And yes, I agree that how people perceive someone's attractiveness subcosciously comes from a quality other than appearance alone and can't be conveyed through a photo.

It's been demonstrated that the measurements of Greco-Roman statuary of the idealized "human" face (belonging to gods, goddesses, mythic heroes) are actually impossible to achieve in real life. These particular symmetries do not exist in the real world.

But if we were all neo-Platonists we would be saying that we are but shadows of an ideal supernal beauty existing beyond the mere human.

I don't think a discussion of beauty  need be superficial at all, since it has been a subject of debate for philosophers and artists throughout recorded history.  But Dashkova, I'm so very intrigued by the Max Factor question! Did the grand duchesses really have help from cosmetics?!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Elisabeth »
... I love my poor earth
because I have seen no other

-- Osip Mandelshtam

Dashkova

« Reply #111 on: December 18, 2004, 03:56:43 PM »
I probably shouldn't even have posted that, because I really don't remember where I read it and having just put the last exhausting finishing touches on a crazy semester, I can't be bothered to try and locate it.

My own personal guess, based on a comparison of the GD's candid shots versus portraits, I would say they most certainly did benefit from some sort of cosmetics, not just photographic retouching.

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 19, 2004, 04:44:19 AM »
Cosmetics were certainly not new at the turn of the twentieth century and as someone very correctly said, discreet cosmetics were definitely part of royal and aristocratic ladies' lives.
There is a wonderful tale in Jehanne Wake's bio of Pcss Louise that describes Q.Victoria's irritation at a new aldy -in-waiting who appeared at court overly made up.  Ohter roylal ladies who were known to use make-up were Alix Pcss of Wales and the Empress Eugenie.
'For a galant spirit there can never be defeat'....Wallis Windsor

'The important things is not what they think of me, but what I think of them.'......QV

Offline Czarevna Colleen

• Lady Lorna Dugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 02, 2005, 08:30:10 PM »
I think OTMA all had different qualities that made each of them unique and beautiful in their own way.  It's my way of saying they were all beautiful, but in different ways.  Not only in their facial and physical features, but in their personalities, their natures and their intelligence.  They were all lovely girls.

Offline moonlight_tsarina

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Inside the Palace Gates
« Reply #114 on: February 12, 2005, 04:39:35 PM »
Am I the only one who thinks discussions like this are superficial and weightless?

Well Olga, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
Check out my site!

www.freewebs.com/moonlight_tsarina

"Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil...but only love." -Olga Nikolayevna

Offline Olga

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 13, 2005, 12:39:56 AM »
Well Annie, if you thought that, then you would not have felt the need to pass judgement on my comments.

Offline Michelle

• Knyaz
  • No more school forever!  Well,except college.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 17, 2005, 08:36:27 PM »
Darth Olga, I don't see where Annie passed judgement on your comments. :-/

Offline Olga

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 18, 2005, 02:10:02 AM »
She could have just read my comments and let them pass. It goes for you aswell.

Offline Michelle

• Knyaz
  • No more school forever!  Well,except college.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 18, 2005, 07:48:59 AM »
Don't be so touchy.  People can question others' comments.

Offline GD Alexandra

• Graf
  • "We had a beautiful dream and that was all..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 08, 2005, 07:48:24 PM »
 ;) returning to the original topic.  By looking at all those OTMA pictures, it's so difficult to me to tell who's the prettiest. They were all beautifull. First place to all four (in early century beauty contest)