Author Topic: Alexander Palace Restoration pictures  (Read 120152 times)

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Re: Alexander Palace Restoration pictures
« Reply #255 on: September 24, 2010, 08:49:52 AM »
Perhaps that little room inside the central doors was used by the Footmen to welcome visitors and then direct them wherever they needed to go? Who can tell now after all these years.

Offline pastpalacelife

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: September 24, 2010, 07:47:38 PM »
From the floor plans it looks like the room has staircases on each side,  could you see any stairs or were there doors blocking the view, and did you happen to take a picture? Thanks

Offline Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #257 on: September 25, 2010, 05:35:54 AM »
I do not remember seeing any stairs at the central entrance. The only stairs I saw where in the N & A Wing at the side of the exhibition rooms but were not open to the public. There were stairs on the other side of that left side entrance. Only going downstairs was permitted to the cloakroom and the toilets.
In the ante-room inside the central entrance I remember seeing a closed door on the right. That obviously was to the rooms (courtyard side) on that side of the central block. There may have been a corresponding door on the left but I do not remember. I did not take a picture of that ante-room as there was noting in it apart from the lady at the desk. If there had been two desks it would have been overcrowded so that should give you some idea of the size of the room.

Offline PAVLOV

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: September 29, 2010, 12:38:51 PM »
Yes, let us not forget that most of these buildings were designed to impress, and in some way make visitors feel inferior the second they set foot into the entrance hall. It was a physiological thing.
Imagine being summoned into the royal presence at the palace of Versailles, or the Winter Palace. Having to walk down the Rastrelli Gallery, up the Jordan staircase etc.
I would be a quivering wreck by the time I ended up in the royal presence. All the grand rooms you were made to traverse before you arrived at your destination.

A bit different at the Alexander Palace, you went in the "back door' so to speak, via a very ostentatious entrance hall and down a dark passage.

Did anyone ever enter via the "front door, ie the Doors entering the semicircular hall ?

Offline mek

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: October 22, 2010, 09:05:25 PM »
Thank you Alan for the wonderful photos.  I visited the palace in June, 2004 and the changes are fabulous! When I was there, only the rooms of the IF were open and even my Russian guide wasn't sure what I was referring to when I mentioned the semi circular hall, so unfortunately there was so much I missed. Everything outside was in a state of neglect and deterioration. It would be a dream come true to be able to return when the palace is fully restored. Until then, I will have to rely on people like you who are so generous to share your photos.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 09:07:14 PM by mek »

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Tell me the truth, monsieur
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #260 on: October 22, 2010, 11:33:40 PM »
I agree with mek....it's wonderful to be kept informed of how the work at AP is progressing thanks to the
on going generosity of forum members who post their photos. Thank you Alan and all others!

"Give my love to all who remember me."

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline Nayomini

• View Profile
« Reply #261 on: November 12, 2010, 04:45:00 AM »
Fabulous pics Alan - very very clear and simple yet strikingly real. The pics look so real you are there in person. Did you feel as if the Palace came alive in some way - I often look at pics of the Palace and wonder who did what where, apart from the obvious rooms and folk associated with them ie" The Mauve Room and the Empress.  The Palace looks so peaceful yet in some ways, so tragic too. Thanks for a feast for my eyes.

Offline Dominic_Albanese

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: January 19, 2011, 06:01:02 PM »
This is an interesting and comprehensive review of the Alexander Palace today.  Definately worth the time if you have an interest in the restored Alexander Palace.

http://www.angelfire.com/pa/ImperialRussian/royalty/russia/apstate.html

Enjoy!

dca

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Tell me the truth, monsieur
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #263 on: January 19, 2011, 07:37:34 PM »
breath taking... thank you!

"Give my love to all who remember me."

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline AJSimon

• I Love Russian History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: January 20, 2011, 01:31:14 AM »
Thanks Dominic!  :) Those pictures are gorgeous!

Also check out this article on the same website (http://www.angelfire.com/pa/ImperialRussian/news/109news.html)
with more details on the restoration of various rooms, including the family wing.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #265 on: January 20, 2011, 04:39:05 AM »
The renovation work at the AP is bringing it back to life after a long sleep. I am giving it a year or two to see what else is reopened and am considering staying at the hotel thats part of the Catherine Palace. That way I can be on the spot and able to spend more time exploring the whole site. I want to find all the other buildings in the AP Park particularly the church buildings and Alexandra's hospital.
One room in the Palace that should be restored is the former sitting room that the Empress Alexandra had converted into a chapel.  From looking at the floor plans, it seems to be close to the three State Rooms opened in July 2010.