Author Topic: Ambassadors  (Read 3581 times)

Offline SwashbucklingFinch

• View Profile
Ambassadors
« on: September 19, 2009, 03:56:44 PM »
I have a question about finding records of names of ambassadors.

My grandmother was born and raised in France. Her father's name is Vassily Netchiporenko (original Cyrillic alphabet: Василий Иванович Нечипоренко) and I assume his father's name was Ivan (Иван). My grandmother has told us how her grandfather (Vassily's father) was a Ukrainian ambassador to the Czar and so he and his family lived in Russia (I believe my grandmother said they actually lived in the palace, but I do not know the accuracy of that statement).

During the Revolution, I know that Vassily fled to Europe and he (along with the other wealthy people that fled with him) became taxi drivers as he could speak many languages and owned a car. Eventually he wound up in France where he met and married a French heiress (Marguerite Folin). On official records, Нечипоренко became both "Netchiporenko" and "Nietchipourenko" (my grandmother spells her maiden name "Netchiporenko").

I was wondering if there was a place to look for a record of both Vassily and Ivan, especially to connect to Russian/Ukrainian relatives I have (I know that Vassily had brothers... I think he had two).

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Annie Richmond

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
Re: Ambassadors
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 03:14:31 PM »
My grandmother has told us how her grandfather (Vassily's father) was a Ukrainian ambassador to the Czar and so he and his family lived in Russia (I believe my grandmother said they actually lived in the palace, but I do not know the accuracy of that statement).

I can tell you that there was no such thing as a Ukrainian ambassador to the Tsar.  Ukraine was part of the Russian Empire, not a separate nation, thus there would not be an Ambassador.  The Emperor already ruled over Ukraine.  Perhaps he was some sort of official from Ukraine appointed to St. Petersburg.

Offline SwashbucklingFinch

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 03:41:19 PM »
I used the term because my grandmother referred to him as an ambassador. I am aware that Ukraine was part of Russia. I figured it was an official from the Ukrainian area that reported to the Czar. I'm not sure what to call him, I figured he was some sort of public relations or something from Ukraine.
I do know that the whole Netchiporenko family was heavily involved with politics.

If there is a possible position or title that my great-great-grandfather may have had given these circumstances, I'm eager to learn what it may be. Again, I only use the term "ambassador" because of my grandmother and for a lack of a better term.

Were there families of officials that lived alongside the Romanovs?

My grandmother said they lived with others (she implied they lived in the same place as the Czar, but she may have misunderstood as these things took place before she was born). When they fled Russia after the Revolution, she referred to her father and the others that also fled as "princes" but she may have simply meant that they were like princes (having superior education and being very aristocratic).

I apologize for using incorrect terms... I know little and just want to know more! I don't really know where to look for this information and I'm at a slight disadvantage at times since I don't speak Russian or Ukrainian...

(Sorry also for posting this in the wrong spot!)

-Annie

Offline LisaDavidson

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 05:57:45 PM »
I used the term because my grandmother referred to him as an ambassador. I am aware that Ukraine was part of Russia. I figured it was an official from the Ukrainian area that reported to the Czar. I'm not sure what to call him, I figured he was some sort of public relations or something from Ukraine.
I do know that the whole Netchiporenko family was heavily involved with politics.

If there is a possible position or title that my great-great-grandfather may have had given these circumstances, I'm eager to learn what it may be. Again, I only use the term "ambassador" because of my grandmother and for a lack of a better term.

Were there families of officials that lived alongside the Romanovs?

My grandmother said they lived with others (she implied they lived in the same place as the Czar, but she may have misunderstood as these things took place before she was born). When they fled Russia after the Revolution, she referred to her father and the others that also fled as "princes" but she may have simply meant that they were like princes (having superior education and being very aristocratic).

I apologize for using incorrect terms... I know little and just want to know more! I don't really know where to look for this information and I'm at a slight disadvantage at times since I don't speak Russian or Ukrainian...

(Sorry also for posting this in the wrong spot!)

-Annie

Annie: I tried to move it to the most logical spot, and I hope it's okay.

Undoubtedly you already know that surnames ending in "enko" are Ukrainian, so that part checks out. The tough part about tracking down ancestors is that spellings can vary greatly. I think you might have more luck searching with variant spellings, such as "Nechiporenko". There are indeed many people with this surname. Undoubtedly some emigrated with the Revolution.

Good luck!

Lisa

Offline Amely

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 01:55:48 AM »
My grandmother also called her father "ambassador", but when I have tried to ask what it ment I have not got any real answer. When I ask about his profession I get the answer that he was "ambassador". They also said that his family were "Citizens of honour" and I don't understand that either. They had French roots and his wife was also a von...Someone said that he was a businessman, but what kind of a businessman they don't have be able to tell...

So if someone can tell what ment to be an ambassador I am also very interested in the question...

Naslednik Norvezhskiy

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 10:02:35 AM »
They also said that his family were "Citizens of honour" and I don't understand that either.
It was a social category. See this great thread started by yourself: What meant to be a Citizen of Honour in Russia (before the Revolution)?

My grandmother also called her father "ambassador", but when I have tried to ask what it ment I have not got any real answer. When I ask about his profession I get the answer that he was "ambassador".
Perhaps some sort of delegate, from a city or zemstvo, perhaps charged with delivering a petition to the Emperor?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 10:05:22 AM by Fyodor Petrovich »