Author Topic: How tall  (Read 17325 times)

Offline miki_nastya

• Boyar
  • Love and respect the animals
    • View Profile
How tall
« on: September 21, 2009, 02:59:00 PM »
  Can you post here how tall were differit members of royal familys ? I always be interested to find out, beeing myself not very tall I deveop somehow a obsession with the height.
otmabannertt0.jpg

Anastasia Spalko

Re: How tall
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 06:59:26 PM »
I thinks Nicholas is around 5 feet 7 inches.  I hope you're American.

If I calculated correctly (I probably didn't), Alexandra should be 5 feet 11 inches.

Offline Duchess Georgiana

• Love4Royalty
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 04:05:25 AM »
Have you tried the search box?  In any case, here is a post made by AGRBear about the heights.  I hope it is helpful.

This photo was taken 4/17 Oct 1916 and the girls are not lined up as they are in the next  photo so heights are difficult to determine:

Nicholas II was 5 feet 7 inches tall.

About four months later:

This photo was taken in the Sping of 1917:

All the girls look about the same height as in the Oct. 1916 photo.

Tatiana who looks about 5 feet  6 inches - taller than Olga and Marie
Anastasia - shortest of the girls and believed to be about 5 feet 2 inches
Alexei - 3 months later was  said to be 5 feet and 1/2 inch tall

BEAR's OPINION:

I think  Alexei was close to his father's height  5 feet 6 to 5 feet 7 inches tall by July of 1918.   Why?  The average growith for a boy this age is 3.5 inches a year.  If  Alexi was  5 feet  1/2 inch on 1 Jan. 1917  then from  1 Jan. 1917 to 1 Jan 1918 he would have been about  5 feet 4 inches tall.  Add another  seven months and add another  2 inches and that would make him about 5 feet 6 inches tall.

His weight was probably more than 80 pounds because in one of the diaries we are told that Alexei was feeling better and his appetite had increased AND that that he was eating well.  He still wasn't  mobile enough to burn off any calories.  By this time there was more starch in their meals than meat.  Probably weight closer to 90 pounds. 

Since Anastasia was known to be about 5 feet 2. inches tall  in 1918,  we can tell by the photos that Marie was taller.  Most think she was about 5 feet  6 inches.

The estimated height of Alexei and Marie,  as told in the news Interfax,  [seen  in above post]  indicates they believe the two newly found remains are 4 feet 6 inches for Alexei and 5 feet 2.5 inches for Marie.  The reporter must have been in error when he reported what the scientist believe.  If in fact the report is true,  then,   it would appear that  someone didn't  estimate the heights correctly.   Water,  acid,  fire  and decomposition does not shrink bones.

AGRBear

"Soon it will be a year since we saw our friends.Well, it's nothing.  God will grant us all to meet again."

Offline miki_nastya

• Boyar
  • Love and respect the animals
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 06:23:26 AM »
 Well it will be better if you know them in cm  ;)
otmabannertt0.jpg

Offline nena

• Velikye Knyaz
  • But every spring smells like you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 08:39:10 AM »
You should use this, it converts different unities into others:

http://manuelsweb.com/in_cm.htm

So, Nicholas was 170, 2 cm tall, while Alexandra was 180,3. (I doubt, according to Anastasia Spalko's post) Quite taller than her husband. According to www.romanov-memorial.com , and after exhumations, heights of remains were:

158-165   Olga
165-170   Nikolai
166-171   Tatiana   Maria
162-171   Anastasia   Tatiana
163-168   Aleksandra

[EDIT : As for Alexei and Anastasia, there were speculations for Tsarevich's real height in summer of 1918, some say that he was either taller or as same height as Nicholas II.]
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 08:43:28 AM by nena »
-Ars longa, vita brevis -
Mathematics, art and history in ♥

Anastasia Spalko

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 04:09:02 PM »
I DID say "if my calculations were correct".  i knew Nicholas' height, so I found a picture of both of them that was a full-height and i calculated her height using proportions.  (So if Nicholas was 5  ft, 7 in real life and however many inches in the picture, and Alexandra was this tall in the picture....)  Lucky me, we had just learned that principle in math class.  I know for a fact she was pretty tall, though.

Offline nena

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 05:14:32 PM »
Heh, how interesting, I also used proportions to define precisely which of GDs was missing, and all my results match to Maria to be missing one, which was my conclusion before. Math calculations showed me that chances are reflect to Maria to be missing one.

Offline Olga Maria

• Velikye Knyaz
  • 1 Corinthians 13, Mark 11: 23-24, Romans 8: 38-39
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 11:10:34 PM »
Alexandra is approximately 5'7 as Tatiana was taller than she (who was 5'8). Nicholas is 5'7.
Anyway, something to add: Princess Ileana of Romania was about 5'5 since she is approximately 2 inches shorter than her mother, Queen Marie (who was 5'7).

Amazing colored fotos  by the most wonderful Yelena Aleksandrovna. Endless thank you very much!

Anastasia Spalko

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009, 05:33:22 PM »
My math teacher will scream at me for missing that one (not to mention my mom)!  Are you saying Alix was Nicholas' height?  I've always read that he was short and she was tall.  Time to question my resources...

Offline Ally Kumari

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Russia
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2009, 03:33:39 AM »
I have always read Alix was a little bit taller than Nicholas and believe it´s true.

Offline nena

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2009, 08:58:58 AM »
Indeed, Ally. It can be seen in photos from 1894 on their engagement day in Coburg (?). She is a little bit taller than him.

http://www.omta.ru/include/imagebig.php?id=148

Offline Erika

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2009, 10:07:14 AM »
I found this one page 109 in A Lifelong Passion;

KR, Diary - 15 November (1894)
(...)The Emperor is just a little shorter than his bride, but not so much as to be noticeable(...).

Anastasia Spalko

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2009, 12:48:45 PM »
So what's a few inches off?  I was close with my calculations.   :-[  She's definately taller.  I think that why in most pictures one of them is sitting.  It can't be good if  your emperor is shorter than his wife.   

Offline Ally Kumari

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Russia
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2009, 12:51:18 PM »
I have seen a documentary with an old lady, who as a little girl was present in Moscow in 1914 and saw the Imperial family. I think she said something like: "It was very wierd, because it seemed the Tsarina was taller than the Tsar."

Offline Tasia

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2010, 05:57:06 AM »
I have seen a documentary with an old lady, who as a little girl was present in Moscow in 1914 and saw the Imperial family. I think she said something like: "It was very wierd, because it seemed the Tsarina was taller than the Tsar."
LOL !!!!!! It isn't weird, it's normal !!
AGRBear in the quote said that N II & his son Alexei were 5 feets 7 inches tall by July 1918,  if they were this tall, I'm as tall as them! How shocking. heeh