Author Topic: Palace of GD Alexei Aleksandrovitch  (Read 80206 times)

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/
Re: Palace of GD Alexei Aleksandrovitch
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2006, 12:58:25 PM »
I've seen the floorplans of the Palace in some book, but unfortunately I did not have a chance copying them. :(

Offline Vassili_Vorontsoff

• Knyaz
  • If I should die,think only this of me...R.Brooke
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2006, 04:58:10 PM »
Svetabel,

Do you known if the palace is in the list of historical buldings  to sell of Matvienko,I knew that for non renovations works it should be seized to the actual owner...

THANKS
Vassili

Offline Arleen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2006, 06:56:21 PM »
Hi Svetabel.....you asked me WHY I love this palace so much.  

I am one of the odd people who don't like mainstream things I guess.  But I like THE MAN!  ...Grand Duke Alexei himself.  I love that he could have had any palace he wanted, or a special one built, but he put these 3 or 4 buildings together and made this WIERD and fabulous WHOLE out of them.  I love what I have read of the decorations of the inside, the pictures I've seen appeal to me greatly! (Forinstance, there is an EBONY entrance hall somewhere in the Palace....a picture use to be on the AP.....and to me that is PERFECTION because all things oriental are my loves) 

I just really APPRECIATE GD Alexei himself....he was an interesting gentleman to me.  I loved the life he lived and his charm and the fact he never got married and etc.....now you can tell how wierd I myself am too.

Cheers!  .....and thanks for your pictures and kind words.

Arleen
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Arleen_Ristau »

Offline Reco

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2006, 09:05:40 PM »
Bathroom today

Offline BobG

• Graf
  • George of Greece
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2006, 08:32:34 AM »
Based on the attached pictures from the wonderful book, Hidden Interiors, I think the library and study are reversed on the floorplan.  Looking at the picture that Katya Galitzine identifies as the library, the bookshelves and doorway looks more like the room you have labeled as the "Study."  I also think, knowing what we do about GD Alexei, he would have a far larger study than library!
Can anyone confirm?
Hidden Interiors:

Library:

Grand Duke Alexei's Study:

BobG
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 01:00:45 PM by Svetabel »

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2006, 09:58:59 AM »
Brian,
Many thanks for the palace floorplan.  I just wanted to run something by you.  Based on the attached pictures from the wonderful book, Hidden Interiors, I think the library and study are reversed on the floorplan.  Looking at the picture that Katya Galitzine identifies as the library, the bookshelves and doorway looks more like the room you have labeled as the "Study."  I also think, knowing what we do about GD Alexei, he would have a far larger study than library!

Bob,
I can confirm your guess as I've dug out from my bookshelves a book on architect Mesmacher, who built the Palace!!!And now I am looking at the floorplan of the Palace (Bingo!!!) and can say that The Working Study and The Library are reversed on Brian's plan.
Well, my fingers itch to scan the plan and some other pics. to be continued... ;D
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by svetabel »

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2006, 10:12:38 AM »
Svetabel,

Do you known if the palace is in the list of historical buldings  to sell of Matvienko,I knew that for non renovations works it should be seized to the actual owner...

The Palace of GD Alexey is the MOST DESIRABLE object for buying of many Russian money-bags (I mean businessmen  :)). At least 8 powerful banking-houses would love to own the Palace. Since 2004 the forner home of GD Alexey is number one in the list of histoical building for sale.

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2006, 11:38:31 AM »
The layout of the Palace and garden.

The Central gates in 1904

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2006, 01:35:23 PM »
And the floorplan of the ground floor

1- The Own Entrance (of Grand Duke)
2 - Vestibule
3 - Flemish Drawing room
4 - English Hall
5 - Chinese Drawign room
6 - Bathroom
7 - Dressing room
8 - Sitting room
9 - Bedroom
10 - Working Study
11 - Library
12 - Standard room (Banner room)
13 - Vestibule
14 - Reception room
15 - Red Drawing room
16 - Large Hall
17 - Dining room
18 - Butlery
19 - Pantry
20 - Butlery
21 - Gala Entrance

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2006, 01:54:32 PM »
I am one of the odd people who don't like mainstream things I guess.  But I like THE MAN!  ...Grand Duke Alexei himself.
I just really APPRECIATE GD Alexei himself....he was an interesting gentleman to me.  I loved the life he lived and his charm and the fact he never got married and etc.....now you can tell how wierd I myself am too.

Arleen

Arleen,

It's really interesting that you like GD Alexey but I don't think it's weird. :) For example I am very interested in Grand Duchess Olga Fedorovna, who left a sad memory behind. And I am definitely got tired of all discussions around the family of Nicholas the Second (I mean famous theme NAOTMAA and their everyday life and such stuff) .So I am odd too. ;)
Turning back to GD Alexey I'd say that he was quite a controversial person though very kind and generous. There is a good bio on him in Russian by Z.Belyakova - the authoress tries to discuss pro et contra of Grand Duke. IMHO he was an interesting character in private life and , alas, as good as nothing in the quality of a Naval Commander. :(

Offline Arleen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2006, 07:51:04 PM »
Many thanks Svetabel for all of the photos and layouts and floor plan and etc. you have copied and posted for us!  I feel like I hit the mother-load!  I am so happy!

For once I feel oriented as to just how GD Alexei's palace lies and it is a real bonus to know what the rooms are.  It looks so BIG from the gates but really its not is it?  Though again I guess it is for one person.....and lady guests!

I love the CHARM of GD Alexei, I can see where he could be good-for-nothing in the Navy and still have everyone love him.....I can certainly understand all of his success with women.  Like you said he was kind and nice and I would suspect gentle!  I love his foiables.

Brian was the first one to post all of the pictures that wet my appetite about this GD, his collection is incredable!

Please keep us posted on this Palace dear Svetabel!  I certainly hope some Mafia person doesn't buy it!!!!

Arleen
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Arleen_Ristau »

Offline BobG

• Graf
  • George of Greece
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2006, 04:53:34 AM »
Svetabel,
What a wonderful plan and to have a complete list of the rooms is really exciting.  Naturally, it leaves me wanting more!

It made me wonder if your book had a plan of the first (uppper)  floor?  I wondered what Alexei used it for and why it was needed if he lived on the ground floor?  He certainly had enough stairways going up to it!  My curiosity has been aroused!

Bob G

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2006, 01:38:59 PM »
I am very-very glad that you all like the pics I posted. :)

Bob,

There is no plan of the upper floor in the book. :( The info about the upper rooms I found out in the bio on GD Alexey  by Z. Belyakova. On the 1st floor of the Main wing were  Large Library, Armoury room, Room for officer on duty. In the East wing (on both sides of the tower) were situated Dressing room, Study and Bedroom (for guests???).

Offline Reco

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2006, 01:59:49 PM »
GD Alexis A 1850-1908, son of Alexander II

Offline Arleen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2006, 07:34:11 PM »
Another thing that I really like about GD Alexsei is how personable and friendly he was to the Americans on his extended trip...I've read somewhere that people commented that he didn't "act" like Royalty.

He seemed to like America and Americans too....as well as touring the whole east to Chicago he trained it to Montana and hunted buffalo, he went down the Mississippi on a riverboat to New Orleans.  In Memphis, Tn there is a plaque at one of the hotels that he stayed at on his trip about how much he was liked!  Americans were wishing he would become Tsar.  (Americans mostly didn't understand Russian Royalty and how it worked)

Just my thoughts.......A