Author Topic: Palace of GD Alexei Aleksandrovitch  (Read 78849 times)

Offline Reco

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Palace of GD Alexei Aleksandrovitch
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2005, 02:06:29 PM »

The gate of the Palace of Grand Duke Alexei Alexandrovich Romanov

Offline dp5486

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2006, 08:21:17 AM »
Quick question-who owned this palace at the time of the revolution? Did Grand Duke Alexei leave this palace to any members of his family after his death?

Thanks!

Offline AkshayChavan

• Boyar
  • Prince Chavanoff - Bombayskii
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2006, 10:52:43 AM »
From what info i have, this palace along with another one was left to Grand Duke Michael Alexandrovich "Floppy". It was  seized along with all his property when Michael married Natasha and left Russia. During the war, it was converted into a hospital.

Offline dp5486

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2006, 11:15:43 AM »
Ok. That makes sense. Was the Brasovo Palace, bequeathed to Michael by his brother George, also seized when he married Natasha and left Russia?

Offline AkshayChavan

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2006, 06:48:46 PM »
Yes, All lands, properties, assets and bank accounts were seized and put into a trust. Michael was only allowed income from the appendage. Even when he came back to Russia these properties were not restored to him. Later they were seized by the bolsheviks during the revolution. Michael was very badly off as far as money was concerned.

Offline dp5486

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2006, 08:01:09 PM »
He must have really loved Natasha! Was the home in the town of Gatchina the only homed they owned at the time of the revolution?

Did Tata live with them?

Thanks!

Offline AkshayChavan

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2006, 04:32:00 PM »
Yes. The Gatchina house was the only thing he had. It was a very small house. I suggest you read the book "Michael and Natasha". It will give you a lot of info on Michael.

Offline dp5486

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2006, 09:54:04 AM »
My local library usually has that book. When I went to go check it out, all the Romanov books were gone :( Someone must have been doing a project on the Romanovs.

Thanks again!

Offline Arleen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2006, 10:41:30 AM »
What happened to CHARLES?  

Did he ever get to GD Aleksei's palace?  I can't find where he reported in after his trip.  

This is my favorite palace and I would love to know more about it....anything and everything.  Brian's pictures are so gorgeous!

Arleen

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2006, 09:24:37 AM »
Did Grand Duke Alexei leave this palace to any members of his family after his death?

Thanks!

The property of GD Alexey after his death was divided between Grand Dukes Vladimir, Pavel (his brothers) and GD Mikhail Alexandrovich as GD Alexey did not make a will. Afterwards GDss Maria Pavlovna, widow of Gd Vladimir sold a part of garden with the greenhouses. In 1911-1912 the German Embassy was housed in the Palace.
After all in 1914 the Palace, its garden and all belongings were sold to a man from Simpheropol.
In 1917-1941 years in the Palace were housed various Soviet institutions, and in the 1960s even a school of motoring.
Today I walked along Moika Embankment and saw the Palace...Sad, very sad sight I must say. The wonderful gate looks awful, the entry inside the garden is closed, no sign of any renovation, the Palace itself looks derelict... :(

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2006, 10:39:00 AM »
The beautiful interiors as they were in 1903.

Dining room , the favourite room of GD Alexey

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2006, 10:40:41 AM »
The Working Study of Grand Duke

Bathroom

Offline BobG

• Graf
  • George of Greece
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2006, 11:33:03 AM »
Svetabel,

The pictures of of GD Alexei's palace interiors are wonderful.  When I was in St. Petersburg in 2002, I managed to find this palace and take many pictures of the exterior, and like you, felt sad that it had been so neglected.  Seeing the beauty of the interiors makes it even sadder!

I don't suppose you have access to a floorplan so we can figure out where these rooms where located in the Palace?  If the source of the pictures included a plan, I (and I'm sure many others) would be very, very grateful if you could post them.  Having seen the palace from the Moika and the garden, I'd be fascinated as to how these rooms were laid out.

Thanks again for you always appreciated posts.

Bob G

Offline Arleen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2006, 12:13:35 PM »
Dear Svetabel,
Many thanks for posting the beautiful pictures.....especially the bathroom picture BEFORE some idiot cut thru the awful door into the wall.....it utterly ruined it.

I truly envy you "walking past the palace today" as I will never get to see it.  But it is so good of you to tell us of your feelings and what you are seeing, etc.

This palace is number 1 on my list of Palaces of Interest in the whole area.....

Arleen

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2006, 12:46:02 PM »
Dear Svetabel,
This palace is number 1 on my list of Palaces of Interest in the whole area.....

Arleen

Really? How interesting! And why? Do you like the architectural style of the Palace?