Author Topic: Empress Elisabeth, Part IV  (Read 336172 times)

Offline aor

• Boyar
    • View Profile
Re: Empress Elisabeth, Part IV
« Reply #270 on: November 16, 2010, 09:56:49 AM »
I do think it is the Empress Elisabeth, but I do not think it's Franz J.......I have seen this pic before and I think it is CP Friedrich of Prussia that is her companion. It also looks like it is taken at one of the German Health Spa's.......

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: November 16, 2010, 10:02:24 AM »
I don't think we can get an agreement here. I do agree with you that it was not FJ at the lady's side.

Offline Carolath Habsburg

• Velikye Knyaz
  • As seen on TUMBLR!
    • View Profile
    • Victorian & edwardian roleplay in spanish!
« Reply #272 on: November 16, 2010, 10:04:52 AM »
Reading the caption it says Wilhelm I so it could be also him

Here s in german

"Franz Joseph und Elisabeth verlassen nach einem Besuch bei Kaiser Wilhelm I. das Badeschlo├č in Bad Gastein. Photographie von Max Balde. 1886."

Courtesy of Grand Duchess Ally

"...Пусть он землю бережет родную, А любовь Катюша сбережет....". Grand Duchess Ekaterina Fyodorovna to Grand Duke Georgiy Alexandrovich. 1914

Join the cause "We want an Ignore button

Offline Pezzazz

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: November 16, 2010, 11:09:31 AM »
http://tinyurl.com/32jrzyn

in Royal Romances and Tragedies -- pg 58

This is the other side of the celebrated love FJ had for his wife and although some of the facts are way off, it would fit better with what is actually known of Sisi's desire to not be anywhere near Vienna. 
If the lessons of history teach us anything it is that nobody learns the lessons that history teaches us.

Offline aor

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: November 16, 2010, 01:06:25 PM »
Katenka, I do not know much about Wilhelm I.....I was guessing CP Friedrich because of stature and uniform. If I am not mistaken there is another photograph, taken at the same time that shows both couples.....I am racking my brain where I saw that picture......sorry to be not more help.

Offline Yelena Aleksandrovna

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • *Glitter Of The Past*
« Reply #275 on: November 16, 2010, 03:42:09 PM »
About the comment of the lady (labeled as Sissi) looking like Gisela... in several of the photos labeled as Sissi in maturer age the lady (considered as Sissi if she really isn't her) always resemble Gisela very much (like the photo in Terriet with her lady in waiting).

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • *Glitter Of The Past*
« Reply #276 on: November 16, 2010, 03:46:28 PM »
Sissi preffered hungarians perhaps for revenge of her mother in law, an had a better relationship with them than with austrians, they by their side saw Sissi as their beautiful providence. Austrians didn't like her very much (probably as consecuence of the attitude that her mother in law took against her and for her not being so interested in Austria).

Offline Elske

• View Profile
« Reply #277 on: November 17, 2010, 04:04:38 AM »
The people on the photo are Franz Josef and Elisabeth (8 June 1886). They are leaving the Badeschloss in Bad Gastein after they have visited emperor Wilhelm I. To honour his guest Franz Josef wears a uniform of his Prussian regiment.

Offline aor

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: November 17, 2010, 07:35:41 AM »
could be, but the difference in height between Empr. Elisabeth and her compagnion is off. FJ was not that much taller then his wife.

Offline Elske

• View Profile
« Reply #279 on: November 17, 2010, 07:52:28 AM »
could be, but the difference in height between Empr. Elisabeth and her compagnion is off. FJ was not that much taller then his wife.

Got it from: Elisabeth Wunschbilder oder Die Kunst der Retouche by Garda Mraz/Ulla Fischer-Westhauser

They look about the same height to me.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 08:01:05 AM by Elske »

Offline heavensent

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: November 17, 2010, 10:15:12 AM »
jUST a few things Ive read about Empress Elizabeth...

she was  5' 8".... which I dare say was quite tall for a woman back then

she had a 16"  waist..... !  perhaps only at certain times.... like when she had obsessions with corsets and tight lacing.
..... much to  mother in law Sophie's  dismay .....

She never weighed more than 111  lbs.... probably she was   " small boned " and naturally slim.

Interestingly I also read that her diary was destroyed by the police after her tragic death
.... (wot an act of vandalism by the force ! who knows what gems were to be found in there !)

In her poetry  she refers to herself as ... "Titania".... (Shakespeare's Fairy Queen )

( you d think  her poems would be up on the net somewhere  by now !  )

Offline MademoiselleAndrea

• Knyaz
  • Take me as you find me, all my fears and failures.
    • View Profile
    • Past A La Mode: A Presentation and Celebration of Historical Fashion
« Reply #281 on: November 17, 2010, 10:27:01 AM »
you d think  her poems would be up on the net somewhere  by now !
They are. Take a look at this thread:
http://forum.alexanderpalace.org/index.php?topic=10044.0
I could post one of her poems that I have in a book, if you'd like.  :)
When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything You gave me". --Erma Bombeck

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: November 17, 2010, 01:41:25 PM »
Well we still are not sure who the people in the photo are...

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • *Glitter Of The Past*
« Reply #283 on: November 17, 2010, 01:47:09 PM »
I think that she must be Sissi... who would be the companion of Franz Joseph if the lady isn't Sissi??

Offline Trianon

• View Profile
    • Le Petit Trianon
« Reply #284 on: November 17, 2010, 02:01:48 PM »
I think also that the woman looks like Gisela, but it could be also the Empress. Elisabeth visited Bad Gastein in 1885 and 1886, FJ in 1885 (and other political meetings) according to this webside:
http://www.gastein.com/de-presse-historisches_gastein_eine_zeitgeschichtliche_reise-56.shtml

Maybe she didn't expect any photographers? And to the height: I think FJ looks here taller because of his hat.
But something looks weird in the pic - look at his shoes, looks like he would fall down the next moment or is it just my sight?