Author Topic: Anastasia Pictures  (Read 61038 times)

matushka

Re: Anastasia Pictures
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2005, 05:45:56 PM »
For me, it is definitly Maria, look at the lips, the expression.

anna

« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2005, 06:51:27 PM »
I think it's Olga. I don't know which year this photo is taken but to me Anastasia looks twelve/thirteen? So Marie belonging to the "little pair" wouldn't have her hair put up and wearing long skirts, but having the same skirt length as Anastasia. Just a thought.

Anna

Abby

« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2005, 06:55:37 PM »
I think it's Maria; the face looks like Maria and it's possible that Anastasia looks older...but maybe Maria's hair isn't up all the way; it's hard to tell by the picture.

Offline Georgiy

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Slava v vyshnikh Bogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2005, 07:03:56 PM »
I think it is probably around 1913 or 1914 - I have seen other pics from that time with Anastasia wearing a similar hat.

Offline Lanie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2005, 07:36:23 PM »
It certainly looks like Olga to me -- the hairstyle which was peculiarly "hers," the fact that she's not towering too much above Anastasia, and the very long skirt says Maria.  When Maria had her skirts dropped Anastasia's were not that short compared to Maria's, and Maria never did her hair in that curious style (front-wise!) that Olga did.

Offline Ortino

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Ortino
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2005, 08:50:47 PM »
While it is most definitely difficult to tell for sure whether it is Marie or Olga in that picture, I think it's Marie for two reasons: 1) her and Anastasia are wearing matching outfits. It appears in most photographs that as the girls got older, they broke off into the "Little" and "Big" pairs in terms of coordinating outfits. I could be wrong, but usually Tatiana and Olga would wear something similar to the two younger girls, but generally not the same. 2) the girl in the picture has a slightly rounder face. Marie is known to have that cherubic type of face. Also, if you look at other pictures of Marie with her hair up, she looks like the girl in the picture.

Michelle

« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2005, 08:36:22 PM »
Ya, it's Maria.  It looks like her face, and it also looks like it's her physique we're looking at.  This picture shows someone who is of a rather "sturdy" build, or "big-boned."  Olga had a tiny frame and was of a thin, delicate build.  Plus the way her cheeks are and the way the shadows play over her face, I recognize Maria from other pictures with similar lighting.

otmafan

« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2005, 08:58:20 PM »
I think it looks like Olga, but I could be wrong.

Offline Lanie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2005, 09:12:47 PM »
I wish we had a clearer scan... I tried to clean it up but it looked worse!  Georgiy, where did you get the photo from again--an Orthodox Encyclopaedia, right?  What's the title, etc?  Perhaps I could find it somewhere...

Abby

« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2005, 10:30:41 PM »
I think in these pictures Grand Duchess Maria strongly resembles the girl in the picture posted above. (the whole 'shadows' thing...seems like Maria's features)

but i could be wrong of course! :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Abby »

PrinceEddy1864

« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2005, 10:36:41 PM »
While the hair is like Olga's, I am going to say it is Maria. Her height in comparison to Alexei and Anastasia's is more like that of Marias.

Sarai_Porretta

« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2005, 07:05:03 AM »
For what it's worth, I think this is Maria as well.

Val289

« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2005, 10:37:49 AM »
Abby - thank you for posting the other pictures of Maria.  She certainly does bear a good resemblence to our "Mystery Romanov"  :D

helenazar

« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2005, 10:46:18 AM »
I will stand by my earlier contention that our "Mystery Romanov" sister is definitely Maria.  :)

Offline Lanie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2005, 12:15:00 PM »
It'd be easier if we could date this!  If it was Maria it'd be 1915 or after and Anastasia doesn't look that old (looks to me by 1915, 1916 she was growing stouter)... hmmm.  Alexei looks rather young too...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Lanie »