Author Topic: Empress Elisabeth, Part I  (Read 353264 times)

Offline miki_nastya

• Boyar
  • Love and respect the animals
    • View Profile
Re: Empress Elisabeth, Part I
« Reply #420 on: June 03, 2007, 09:21:16 AM »
     I read that Gyula Andrasy ( sorry if I didn't write well) was love of her life.I don't know if its true or its only a rumor.
otmabannertt0.jpg

Offline britt.25

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: June 05, 2007, 05:24:12 AM »
Wasn´t there that rumour that Marie Valerie could have been his daughter? For me completely nonsense, she does not look like him at all!!
La vérité est plus importante que l'amour

Marie Bonaparte (1882-1962)

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/
« Reply #422 on: June 05, 2007, 05:40:00 AM »
Wasn´t there that rumour that Marie Valerie could have been his daughter? For me completely nonsense, she does not look like him at all!!

Marie Valerie was the spitting image of Franz Josef! Just look at his early portraits.

Offline Princess Susan

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: July 18, 2007, 04:23:27 PM »
I am not sure whether is this photo just on forum, but I like it because is quite unusual:
Empress Elisabeth with Lily Hunady, Mathilda Windschgraetz and sister Helene on Madeira:
http://cisarovna-sisi.wz.cz/a_sisi28.html

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: July 18, 2007, 07:51:16 PM »
It was not Helene her sister, but Helene ("Nene")'s cousin-in-law, Helene von Taxis, who was Sisi's lady-in-waiting.  ???

Offline Princess Susan

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: July 19, 2007, 12:40:00 PM »
Yes, it's true. I've just realised it. She had same name like her sister, therefore this confiusion. :-\
It seemed me strange, that the woman doesn't look very simular like her sister.
But Helene (her sister) visited her once in Madeira, I think.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: July 19, 2007, 07:38:49 PM »
Yes...As Franz Josef's urging to ask Sisi to come home.
Helene von Taxis ladter married a Count Kinsky and left the Empress's service.  ???

Offline britt.25

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: July 20, 2007, 03:57:19 AM »
Elisabeth beuty was something uniqe.
I think, that Gisela and Rudolf were mix between Sisi and Franz Joseph. But Marie Valerie resembled more on Franz Joseph.
Especialy her features of face remind her father. Presumably only her eyes were similar to her mother's one. I am not sure with their first child Sophie, because she died too soon.

Strange, I always had the feeling that Gisela comes more out - especially around the eyes -like her father Franz Joseph, whereas Marie Valerie did more inherit her mother`s look, the hair and eyes etc. Maybe her mouth and her nose are that of the emperor. But it seems every person sees it differently ;)
The first born Sophie (on the only picture that I know) is very blonde and has blue eyes, so she rather reminds me of Franz Joseph!

Offline KarlandZita

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Mama Regina Elena
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: July 21, 2007, 05:10:49 AM »
Engraving with the glory of Kronprinz Rodolphe in his small cradle. He had been born on August 21, 1858, a little more than 4 years after the marriage of his parents :

The Imperial couple walking familiarly with his children and his dog :

Reginei Mama Elena a Romaniei

Offline britt.25

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: July 21, 2007, 09:28:12 AM »
Wonderful and interesting pictures.  ;)

I wonder, if the man on the left side of the first picture of the last posts is Rudolf I., the first Habsburg ruler on the German throne. It seems so, I am pretty sure, because the crown on the picture in my view is definitely the one of Rudolf I (1218-1291), who died and is buried in Speyer (I have seen his tomb ;)), and if I see it correctly it`s also written unter the crown that this is Rudolf I. Does anybody know, if Rudolf, son of Franz Joseph and Sisi, was named after this first Habsburg king? I think, it`s probable, but I am not totally sure. Does anybody know it for sure? I seem to remember that there was once a picture, where Rudolf II was dressed as his ancestor Rudolf I., but I can't remember, which occasion it was and why...

Offline MarieCharlotte

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Sophie Charlotte (1847-1897)
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: July 21, 2007, 12:10:00 PM »

I wonder, if the man on the left side of the first picture of the last posts is Rudolf I., the first Habsburg ruler on the German throne. It seems so, I am pretty sure, because the crown on the picture in my view is definitely the one of Rudolf I (1218-1291), who died and is buried in Speyer (I have seen his tomb ;)), and if I see it correctly it`s also written unter the crown that this is Rudolf I. Does anybody know, if Rudolf, son of Franz Joseph and Sisi, was named after this first Habsburg king? I think, it`s probable, but I am not totally sure. Does anybody know it for sure? I seem to remember that there was once a picture, where Rudolf II was dressed as his ancestor Rudolf I., but I can't remember, which occasion it was and why...

Franz Joseph loved traditional names. Gisela was named after the wife of Stephan I., the first Christian king of Hungary, and the Rudolf was given his name in memory of Rudolf I. If Marie Valérie had become a boy, Elisabeth would have called her "Stephan".
Ich aber breite trauernd aus
die weiten weissen Schwingen,
Und kehr' ins Feenreich nach Haus -
Nichts soll mich wieder bringen.

Elisabeth

Offline Aliss_Kande

• Graf
  • Viktoria Luise
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: July 21, 2007, 03:02:13 PM »
Stupid question, but how is Gisela pronounced?  ???

Offline Janet_W.

• Velikye Knyaz
  • ...And no one's grief has ever passed you by...
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: July 21, 2007, 04:15:29 PM »
Actually that's a very good question, Aliss; I also like to pronounce names correctly.

My mother used to speak of a friend from Germany named Gisela . . . she pronounced it as "Gee-si-la."

Offline MarieCharlotte

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Sophie Charlotte (1847-1897)
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: July 22, 2007, 02:51:10 AM »
Stupid question, but how is Gisela pronounced?  ???

Franz Joseph called his daughter Gisella.
Ich aber breite trauernd aus
die weiten weissen Schwingen,
Und kehr' ins Feenreich nach Haus -
Nichts soll mich wieder bringen.

Elisabeth

Offline britt.25

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: July 22, 2007, 03:06:35 AM »

Franz Joseph loved traditional names. Gisela was named after the wife of Stephan I., the first Christian king of Hungary, and the Rudolf was given his name in memory of Rudolf I. If Marie Valérie had become a boy, Elisabeth would have called her "Stephan".

Thank you a lot to make it clear, I was not completely sure about that point. I always asked myself about the name Gisela and where it came from, I did not know that she was named after the wife of the first Christian king of Hungary. It's very interesting that they took the name for those old reigning figures I always wondered, why the names of Franz Josephs children were a bit different from the others, because during all the centuries those names were not very common among the Habsburg family. Many of those "dynastic names" were different (like Maria Anna" or others like that) Was it Elisabeths or Franz Josephs wish to name their children like that?