Author Topic: Rasputin Film by Elem Klimov  (Read 3237 times)

Offline Kyriaki

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Rasputin Film by Elem Klimov
« on: December 26, 2004, 09:08:50 PM »
I am currently watching the movie Rasputin  made in the USSR, 1977, direction by Elem Klimov - (I'm watching with English subtitles).

it is fascinating me - I don't know anything about this movie - could not find anything on it on the IMBd.  E Klimov is listed, but not this particular movie.  

The sets are incredible.  

I wonder about what you learned historians might know about this movie from Soviet Russia.  Please let me know your thoughts.

thank you

Offline ptitchka

• Oblazhayu Tsesaryevicha Aleksiya!
    • View Profile
Re: Rasputin Film by Elem Klimov
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2004, 09:49:46 PM »
If what you are watching is the DVD, the special features are quite enlightening to watch.  From them one learns what a risk the people involved in the movie took in making it.  Considering what they had to work with it is a visual masterpiece.

Offline Kyriaki

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2004, 08:47:40 AM »
unfortunately, I only was able to rent the VHS version -
I wondered if sets were built or if it was filmed on location, especially the interior scenes

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2005, 08:39:24 AM »
I am currently watching the movie Rasputin  made in the USSR, 1977, direction by Elem Klimov - (I'm watching with English subtitles).

Kyriaki, I was wondering where you found this movie?

Offline Greg_King

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Atlantis Magazine
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2005, 09:24:40 AM »
The film used to be available for purchase-my copy is hidden somewhere, but if I recall the distributor of the video was Kino.

As to the sets: they filmed in a few locations: the garden at Monplaisir and Peterhof (opening scences); Feodorovsky Gorodok (scenes with Badmayev, Felix, Dimitri, and Rasputin, if I recall); the Moika Palace (in the murder room, before present day restoration); and I was told back in 1996 by a woman who was involved in it that some scenes were filmed at Grand Duke Alexei Alexandrovich's Palace on the Moika.

Greg King