Author Topic: Future of the Russian Government  (Read 17446 times)

Offline Candice

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Russian Government
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2004, 12:27:26 PM »
At this point in time I can't see Russia with a monarchy, especially with Putin wanting to be Tsar himself, an ex KGB agent. I don't think anyone would have a chance.  Democracy is still questionable!

Offline nerdycool

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2004, 01:43:12 PM »
I agree Candice. To me, if Russia really wants to have a democracy, they will need to keep patient with their poor economy until the younger generations come into power. There is still much influence from the Communist Party, and those who grew up during the Soviet period are probably more inclined to think that Communism is infinitely better, and that Russia should go back into it, therefore embracing Putin and his increasingly strong hold on everything.

(BTW, I'm not opposed nor for Communism or Putin... though it may seem like it from my above statements. I do happen to think that Communism is a great theory and if the circumstances are right, it can work, though on a small scale (i.e. not a large country like Russia). And Putin is a strong leader. He's done good things to Russia since he came into office...though it does seem he's becoming more of an autocrat...)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by nerdycool »

Offline Mike

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Erast Fandorin Museum
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2004, 11:48:35 AM »
Sorry - just couldn't find a more appropriate thread for paying tribute to the late President Reagan.

It was owing to his will, moral principles and political wisdom that the Soviet Empire of Evil disintegrated. As a result, there is now free travel to and from Russia, its palaces and churches (including beautiful Alexander Palace) are again open to visitors and worshippers, and we can discuss the restoration of Russian monarchy without immediate prospect of psychiatric examination.

Sunny

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2004, 03:30:25 PM »
Yes.........

Sunny

Offline DOMOVOII

• Boyar
  • Crikey chief!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2004, 05:09:00 PM »
... and to the thousand who died as a result of his lack of policy in tackling the AIDS/hiv crisis when it was small enough to be of practical effect. God bless them,

He did much, but enough? :-/
A stand can be taken against an army of men, but no stand can be made against an invasion of an idea          V Hugo

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2004, 06:36:30 PM »
OK...
A. this discussion is no longer about Imperial Russia or even Russia at all, so I will ask it cease here.
B. It IS Alexandra's birthday may we please show some respect for her and each other.
thanks.
FA

Offline Mike

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Erast Fandorin Museum
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2004, 01:59:16 AM »
I wouldn't mind if my posting is removed now. I was feeling a need to say what I said; now that it's been done, let Ronald Reagan rest in peace.

Offline Olga

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2004, 04:01:40 AM »
Mike, what on earth are you talking about? Is it really necessary to talk about Reagan here? By my guess you are American, yes? Try looking at the Soviet Union from their point of view, not just from your imperialist American perspective.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by olga »

Offline Mike

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Erast Fandorin Museum
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2004, 04:41:58 AM »
Olga, please look at my post just above yours. I had no wish to start political discussions. Just to answer your question: I'm not American, and till the age of 41 I lived in the USSR - the last 9 years against my express and persistent will.

To moderators: if my post about Reagan seems out of place, please remove it, I wouldn't be offended.

Offline DOMOVOII

• Boyar
  • Crikey chief!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2004, 10:37:18 AM »
I hope the comments I made were taken in the way they were intended, it is easy to loinize someone after their deaths but their contributions have to be seen in context.

Admin, please feel free to do whatever is viewed as most appropriate, with these last few postings.

DOMOVOII

In addition, Michael , had the right idea, only when Russia is ready and it is the will of the nation should a monarchical state ever be entered into. Personally  I think he would have made a great modern Tsar.
A stand can be taken against an army of men, but no stand can be made against an invasion of an idea          V Hugo

Offline nerdycool

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2004, 09:33:42 PM »
Any post can be removed by its creator. A moderator doesn't need to do it.

Anyway, I don't think Reagan had a great impact on the fall the Soviet Union. It happened all by itself without outside influences. He just happened to be in office during the last leg of the USSR.

Back to the original topic, I know it's been a few years since it's happened, but I just found out the other day that the Russian National Anthem was changed back to the Soviet-era anthem, except with new lyrics. Honestly, I thought it was the anthem they instituted right after the fall. But I've noticed that Russia is incorporating elements from their history into the everyday life. Soviet stars and antehm, Imperial Eagles and flag. This gives me the belief that they're coming to grips about the past and that there isn't a right or wrong. But along with what I posted far above, I was thinking that maybe an integration of two economic concepts can work for Russia... kind of like China and their Communist/Democratic form of government (which I think is doing good things for China). Heck, they're kind of already doing it. Just an idea...

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2004, 10:10:26 PM »
The last I heard, some months ago, so could very well be out-dated, is that, Yes, they did revert to the former Soviet anthem, however, no new lyrics have been written. There is no verse to go with the music. Can't decide, apparently.
Cheers,
Robert
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline Mike

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Erast Fandorin Museum
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2004, 12:58:25 AM »
There is no verse to go with the music.

Yes there is. Written by the same Sergei Mikhalkov who authored the first anthem in 1943, then rewrote it in 1977. Enjoy it here.

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2004, 10:54:46 AM »
I have re-checked. The 1977 lyrics have been replaced, but rarely used, just has not  "caught on".  There is a difference between the old Soviet & the new Russian anthems.
Seems popuplar favour goes for the old one with the post 2000 lyrics.
Also, technically, theye are both called "hymn" interestingly enough, as opposed to "anthems". I did not know there was a difference.
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline Silja

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2004, 03:03:34 PM »
For me it will always remain the "Stalin anthem". I think it's not a good idea they reintroduced it. Russia has not really been examining its history. There is no political identity in present day Russia. The red flag for the army, the eagle as a state symbol, the Stalin anthem; this only goes to show that every section of the population is to be satisfied.