Author Topic: Grand Duke Kyrill, his wife Victoria Fedorovna and children, Part II  (Read 138465 times)

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
Re: Grand Duke Kyrill, his wife Victoria Fedorovna and children, Part II
« Reply #225 on: January 22, 2012, 05:19:11 PM »
I would imagine they would have to pay taxes on such income. And Euro taxes are high, it would reduce the value  of what anyone getting it to live on.
 In Georgi's  situation, he would not be the first German Romanov, so I do think that is much of a barrier to him "claim" if he even has one.
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 22, 2012, 06:20:23 PM »
In Georgi's  situation, he would not be the first German Romanov, so I do think that is much of a barrier to him "claim" if he even has one.

Yes,you are right,his predecessors came from Holstein-Gottorp to rule in Russia due to similar family relations,so I guess that makes it a bit easier for him...

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 22, 2012, 10:20:48 PM »
There is a difference, there weren't any Romanov at that time anymore. Whereas the Romanov family is alive and well...in numbers.

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 23, 2012, 06:33:29 AM »
There is a difference, there weren't any Romanov at that time anymore. Whereas the Romanov family is alive and well...in numbers.

But there was a former over throned Emperor and his family who were still alive when Holstein-Gottorps came to the throne,but it is the same case as we speak of now,as the former Emperor's family came in the similar twist and turn way to the throne of Russia and were also German-von Braunschweig-Wolfenb├╝ttel...

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 23, 2012, 07:06:04 AM »
Marc

You are doubtless speaking of the unfortunate Ivan VI.

Ann

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 23, 2012, 11:10:29 AM »
Indeed. He is.  ;)

The fact is that the title of "head of the family" is not applicable to Maria at this point and a major bone of contention between the family. Even if we discard the thing with the non-existent throne of Russia at this time.

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 23, 2012, 01:24:07 PM »
Marc

You are doubtless speaking of the unfortunate Ivan VI.

Ann

Yes,the unfortunate Ivan VI and his family as he had 2 more brothers and 2 more sisters...

Offline QueenEna1887

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 23, 2012, 07:32:20 PM »
A former poster on this forum by the name of  DmitriAlex7777 I believe stated that pretender Maria Vladimirovna's parents Vladimir Cyrillovich and Leonida Georgievna were married in the Serbian Orthodox Church in Lausanne, Switzerland instead of the Russian Orthodox Church? Is that true? Is there any information that can prove this?

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 23, 2012, 08:27:25 PM »
Burke's Royal Families of the World  lists them married civil and religious in Lausanne, Switz. 12 & 13 August 1948. Serbian Orthodox would make no difference. Any church in the Orthodox communion would be equally valid.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 08:37:14 PM by Robert_Hall »
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 24, 2012, 03:50:25 AM »
I don't think there is any doubt that Maria Vladimirovna's parents were lawfully married, so she is a member of the Romanov family, but, in my view, not an heir.

Ann

Offline QueenEna1887

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 24, 2012, 07:19:23 AM »
But the Russian Imperial Houses does not recognize marriages that were not of the Russian Orthodox church that is the law.

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 24, 2012, 07:38:32 AM »
Is this in relation to membership of the family or, more narrowly, for succession purposes?

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 24, 2012, 08:24:28 AM »
There is also the argument that is Leoneda the equal in stature to Vladimir. She belonged to a former reigning house that became part of the aristocracy in Russia. That made her status similar to that of Countess Torby, who belonged to the Royal House of Nassau.

Offline QueenEna1887

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 24, 2012, 04:14:24 PM »
For succession purposes Kalafrana the marriage has to be in the Russian Orthodox Church according to the Russian Imperial House Laws.  Back to Cyril and Ducky, the Czar never recognized their marriage not only because they were first cousins, but because the marriage was not in the Russian Orthodox Church and the Czar never consented to it.  So it was deemed illegal.  If it is true that Maria Vladimirovna's parents married in Serbian and not Russian Orthodox her father could not have had succession rights. 

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 24, 2012, 09:54:08 PM »
I think the Tsar later recognized the marriage as legal, but maybe not lawful according to the Orthodox Church rudder. It was spelt out in the "Orthodox Church" which is applicable to not only the Russian Church but ALL Orthodox Churches. I coberted to the Greek Church, so I know the rudder do apply in the Greek Church too...