Author Topic: Russia - Europe or Asia?  (Read 2454 times)

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Russia - Europe or Asia?
« on: February 04, 2011, 03:43:20 PM »
I've been confused over this my entire life, it seems. Russia, or at least western Russia, is considered Eurasian and its influences are European. But I was taught in school that there are 7 continents, Europe and Asia included, but not Eurasia, since that's more of a region. On some maps, it has the entire country of Russia as Asian, but European maps sometimes include Russia, sometimes not. I was never taught that parts of Russia could be European, and didn't consider it until I began getting interested in the Romanovs. Maybe it's another American educational failure. Can anyone shed some more light?

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Russia - Europe or Asia?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 04:18:42 PM »
Well, Lisa, the Urals Mountains are considered the border between Europe and Asia in Russia.  As you know, Russia spills over into Asia (as does Turkey, farther south).  So Russia is in both Europe and Asia.  Maps that show the continents as different colours often show this fact (say have Europe green and Asia gray, for example).  The European part of Russia would be green, the Asian part gray.

I hope this helps.
Cats: You just gotta love them!