Author Topic: Hermitage Amsterdam: Inaugural exhibition "At the Russian Court".  (Read 27386 times)

Offline Lucien

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Courtier
    • View Profile
Re: Hermitage Amsterdam: Inaugural exhibition "At the Russian Court".
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2009, 11:46:06 AM »
Does anyone know if the amsterdam museum card is valid for this exhibition?

http://theamsterdamguide.planeteye.com/museum-card/

Yes it is.Enjoy! :)
Je Maintiendrai

Offline Clemence

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2009, 02:24:31 PM »
does anyone remember an exhibition of royal jewells that took in Antwerpen, Belgium, in the summer of 1998?

I was so sad I only found out days before it ended ... and I never heard of something like that after that!

'' It used to be all girls without clothes. Now it’s all clothes with no girls. Pity.''

Offline Alexander1917

• Graf
  • I Love YaBB 2!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2009, 06:54:48 PM »
I think there are some very good exhibitions, like the "European court jewellery" Brussels (2008), or the "Tiara" at the V&A...

this Amsterdam ex. is very good.. not so much jewels, but Jewels in china, art, dresses...very worth to visit...

Offline Lucien

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Courtier
    • View Profile
Hermitage Amsterdam: Inaugural exhibition "At the Russian Court".
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2009, 10:12:52 AM »
300.000 Visitors in the first hundred days.That is huge.The amount of "Friends" rose from 700 to 3500 at present which I think is marvellous!

Mid october a part of the exhibition "At the Russian Court" will be changed for yet more items from the Hermitage St.Piter.

The exhibition will be on show till january 31st 2010.

November 7th will see Museumnight,the Hermitage will be open till 02.00AM,dance the night away at the Hermitage,
have lessons by professionals,or watch demo's to dream away by,and most importtantly:loads of fun!
Never mind the gear you wear,from boots to Gala,masked or flipflopping your feet away,it's all possible,
well,that is what they always say but please do come in the Court style,and the Hermitage will make you even prettyer.

http://www.hermitage.nl/nl/activiteiten/museumnacht.htm

See you all there!!
 ;D

« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 10:17:03 AM by Lucien »
Je Maintiendrai

Offline primrose

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2009, 12:51:30 PM »
I'm thinking of going to Amsterdam for a few days before the exhibition closes and wonder if there are still great crowds or if the number of visitors has thinned down from last summer. Also would be interested in hearing about the pieces brought in from St Petersburg in October... does that mean that the exhibition is even larger or have they removed some items to make room for the new?

Have you been lately? Do you think January would be a good time to see it?

thanks,

primrose
"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give."

Winston Churchill

Offline Helen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2009, 04:49:03 PM »
I have been there last Friday. When I arrived between 11 and 12 a.m., there was a queue, but it was much, much shorter than during the opening weekend. It got a bit busier early in the afternoon. This is the situation as it was last Friday; it may be busier during weekends and on Wednesdays, as that is when they offer special activities such as lectures and concerts.

They did make some changes a couple of weeks ago, but the exhibition is not larger than it was in July. They simply changed a relatively small number of exhibits.

If you wish to see the exhibition, January is an excellent time, as the holiday period of late December may be a busy time and because the exhibition closes at the end of January.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 04:52:05 PM by Helen »
"The Correspondence of the Empress Alexandra of Russia with Ernst Ludwig and Eleonore, Grand Duke and Duchess of Hesse. 1878-1916"  -  http://www.bod.de/index.php?id=296&objk_
"Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig and Princess Alix of Hesse and by Rhine in Italy - 1893"

Offline primrose

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2009, 10:05:38 PM »
Thanks very much, Helen... very happy to have your report!

Winston Churchill

Offline Lucien

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Courtier
    • View Profile
Hermitage Amsterdam: Inaugural exhibition "At the Russian Court".
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2009, 10:27:13 PM »
You don't have much choice,as january is the last month of the exhibition "At the Russian Court". ;D

There are some mistakes in the exhibition from the very opening that have been pointed out by me,ao,to those in charge but they never bothered to adjust.
And the other day,well,month actually,one of our wellknown authors here visited the the Hermitage and as she didn't find a single title of her on the shelves of the shops,she kindly requested if there are any of the titles.The reply;"Never heard of the name", till another said;"oh,yes,I saw that name in an e-mail the other day"...( ::) :-[) ... ,which was true as a dear friend had tryed to inform the staff several times on this that and another thing beforehand,before the author and several Romanov decendants visited the Hermitage here.Not by their request,but simply as we gladly go out of our way for dear friends who we think deserve a little extra.

All in all,it must be a russian thing,and boy,do they live up to it... ::)   

The exhibition is beautifull,still,but the management is totally incapeble yet they are full of themselves,thousands of complaints have not changed anything from the messy beginnings when young totally in-experienced staff was running around not knowing what they where doing,let alone where they were.It's like that still,from the Neva restaurant and café to the shops.Pity for an otherwise fantastic museum I've been to 20 times over the last months.
Je Maintiendrai

Offline Douglas

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2009, 12:10:40 AM »
I get the feeling Lucien, that the museum did not ask for experts in Russian history to apply for employment for this show.  So this is what we get, just your average Joe shuffling around the museum, totally clueless as to what they were dealing with.  For those few of us that know more about the Romanovs than even the historical Romanovs knew,  it's what it is....just a beautiful collection of musty dusty artifacts from the distant past.

Douglas

Offline primrose

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2009, 10:47:02 AM »
Thanks Lucien and Douglas for those insights... I won't be rushing out there now but rather will save my pennies for the real thing in St Petersburg!

Winston Churchill

Offline Lucien

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Courtier
    • View Profile
Hermitage Amsterdam: Alexander the Great
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2010, 01:14:32 AM »
A fantastic exhibition on Alexander the Great opens on september 18th.

http://www.hermitage.nl/nl/

Je Maintiendrai

Offline Vecchiolarry

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2010, 04:40:03 PM »
Wow Lucien,

Thanks for telling us about this....  Most interesting and a great exhibit, no doubt....

I was at the Amsterdam Hermitage for the Russian exhibit and they did a wonderful job!!

Larry

Offline Lucien

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Courtier
    • View Profile
Hermitage Amsterdam:" Splendour and Glory,art of the Russian Orthodox Church ".
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2011, 12:04:21 AM »
The next exhibition to start on march 19th:

http://www.hermitage.nl/nl/tentoonstellingen/glans_en_glorie/

Je Maintiendrai