Author Topic: Diary of Nicholas II  (Read 57127 times)

Offline Ally Kumari

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Russia
Re: Diary of Nicholas II
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2008, 11:55:13 AM »
My thanks go to Laura and whoever it was who created the translator! I´m going to learn Russian next year, but right now English is what concernes me..... :) So maybe next year I won´t be needing it at´all!

Offline Helen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2008, 01:00:47 PM »
... NII's diary for 1917: http://militera.lib.ru/db/nikolay-2/index.html ...
This site also appears to have notes by Russian historian Mikhail Konstantinovich Lemke (Лемке) (1872-1923): " 250 дней в Царской Ставке" / "250 Days at the Tsar's Stavka",  http://militera.lib.ru/db/lemke_mk/index.html.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 01:03:01 PM by Helen »
"The Correspondence of the Empress Alexandra of Russia with Ernst Ludwig and Eleonore, Grand Duke and Duchess of Hesse. 1878-1916"
"Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig and Princess Alix of Hesse and by Rhine in Italy - 1893"
"Ludwig IV, Grand Duke of Hesse and by Rhine - Gebhard Zernin's Festschrift"

Offline nena

• Velikye Knyaz
  • But every spring smells like you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2008, 07:39:35 AM »
For Laura:
увидали past time of english see.----saw
Ливадии Livadia---to Livadia
прекрасною beautiful
ового to this
Среда wednesday
засвежело something, it became coldly/cold.
-Ars longa, vita brevis -
Mathematics, art and history in ♥

Offline Laura Mabee

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Frozentears.Org
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2008, 10:40:40 PM »
Wonderful Nena!
Thank you! As much as an online translator is a quick solution, true translations are 1000% more appreciated :D

matushka

« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2008, 11:00:10 AM »
I never found the diary for 1912. Does anyone read it? Is it anywhere available (in russian)?

Offline nena

• Velikye Knyaz
  • But every spring smells like you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2008, 12:07:11 PM »
Dear matushka,I have never seen any site for 1912 diary. But I have photo of that diary 1912-1913:

You can see August, 1912----visiting Borodino.
1911 diary:

-Ars longa, vita brevis -
Mathematics, art and history in ♥

helenazar

« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2008, 02:19:27 PM »
I never found the diary for 1912. Does anyone read it? Is it anywhere available (in russian)?

I will try to remember to check in my book. I believe it contains a complete published 1912 diary in Russian...

Cody

« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2008, 01:49:56 PM »
I have to say that I wish I was able to read Russian.  I'm curious to know what Nicholas has to say about the Communist coup, and Lenin's takeover of the Russian Government.

helenazar

« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2008, 01:53:46 PM »
BTW, I checked the Russian published diaries, and there are no 1912 diaries. It skips right over years 1908-1913 for some reason!

matushka

« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2008, 02:30:36 PM »
Same with me, my edition presented the same text as in russky. A pity. The editor write they wanted to provide the most important years in Nicolas's reign...

Offline Romanov_fan

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2008, 03:28:03 PM »
I have to say that I wish I was able to read Russian.  I'm curious to know what Nicholas has to say about the Communist coup, and Lenin's takeover of the Russian Government.

Well, he was pretty matter of fact in his diaries so you wouldn't read alot of emotion or description.Some of these parts are quoted in biographies too, but never much emotion or description the way we might hope or think there might be.

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2008, 07:33:03 AM »
I will try to remember to check in my book. I believe it contains a complete published 1912 diary in Russian...

Which book is that, please?
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Helen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2008, 09:12:05 AM »
Well, he was pretty matter of fact in his diaries so you wouldn't read a lot of emotion or description.Some of these parts are quoted in biographies too, but never much emotion or description the way we might hope or think there might be.
I guess the Tsar probably preferred to do other things than diary-writing at the end of the day. He also used standard diaries with only one rather small page for each day and dates printed at the top of the pages. He often had to scribble the last line transversely in the margins to get it onto the page. There simply wasn't any room to dilate on anything.
"The Correspondence of the Empress Alexandra of Russia with Ernst Ludwig and Eleonore, Grand Duke and Duchess of Hesse. 1878-1916"
"Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig and Princess Alix of Hesse and by Rhine in Italy - 1893"

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2008, 10:37:23 AM »
He also used standard diaries with only one rather small page for each day and dates printed at the top of the pages. He often had to scribble the last line transversely in the margins to get it onto the page. There simply wasn't any room to dilate on anything.

Really? I've been under the impression that he used blank journals and entered the dates by hand. Do you have any photos? (All my images of the tsar's diary show hand-dated entries.)
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Helen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2008, 11:38:13 AM »
Really? I've been under the impression that he used blank journals and entered the dates by hand. Do you have any photos? (All my images of the tsar's diary show handdated entries.)

I viewed some of his early diaries on microfilm at GARF and they had printed dates, even double Russian/Western dates. If your images of his diary are handdated, I stand corrected: I haven't seen them all, and apparently he used other journals in later years. :-\