Author Topic: The Hesse-Cassel family  (Read 196911 times)

Offline allanraymond

• Boyar
    • View Profile
    • Monarchies of Europe
Re: The Hesse-Cassel family
« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2008, 07:42:11 PM »
Too many Friedrich Wilhelm's in my response below, so be aware.

Landgrave Friedrich Wilhelm II of Hesse-Cassel (1854-1888) was the son of Landgrave Friedrich Wilhelm of Hesse-Cassel (1820-1884) and Princess Anne of Prussia (1836-1918).

The elder Friedrich Wilhelm succeeded his second cousin Elector Friedrich Wilhelm (1802-1875) as representative of the House of Hesse-Cassel. Elector Friedrich Wilhelm I lost his throne on 20 September 1866 when Hesse was annexed to Prussia. The title of Elector ceased to be used following the death of Elector Friedrich Wilhelm I.

The younger Friedrich Wilhelm II succeeded  his father but unfortunately died at sea en route from Batavia to Singapore.

Allan Raymond

Can anyone give me any information on this member of the Hessen-Kassel family who was listed as head of family 1884-1888? I know nothing of him and I have never seen any image of him.

Offline regensburg

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2008, 05:41:11 PM »
Thankyou for that ! It makes things much clearer. The site doesn't have good details and years are much more helpful in placing someone on their family tree. Unfortunately this means I still haven't tracked down my image.

Offline Kevin From Australia

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2008, 07:41:51 PM »
The Landgrave Friedrich Wilhelm disappeared off the boat Volga between Batavia and Singapore on Ovtober 14, 1888 - he had been suffereing from the heat in Batavia and the party decided to travel to Singapore - the boarded on the 13th - the Prince was in fine form that evening but went to bed about 9 pm asking not to be disturbed until 6 am.  The next morning when his servant went to wake him, he indicated that he want to continue to sleep - the servant stayed outside teh cabin, hearing the Prince cough occasionally, however when the servant checked the cabin after 1.30 pm, it was empty - the only ofther way out of the cabin was the porthole, which was not big enough to accidently fall out of.  He had been suffering previously in Batavia and his suite believe that he was over come by "some mental disturbance".  This information was reported in the Singapore Free Press of October 16, 1888
Everyone is where they want to be!

Offline allanraymond

• Boyar
    • View Profile
    • Monarchies of Europe
« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2008, 02:33:54 PM »
Kevin

Thanks for the additional information relating to his untimely death.

Allan Raymond

The Landgrave Friedrich Wilhelm disappeared off the boat Volga between Batavia and Singapore on Ovtober 14, 1888 - he had been suffereing from the heat in Batavia and the party decided to travel to Singapore - the boarded on the 13th - the Prince was in fine form that evening but went to bed about 9 pm asking not to be disturbed until 6 am.  The next morning when his servant went to wake him, he indicated that he want to continue to sleep - the servant stayed outside teh cabin, hearing the Prince cough occasionally, however when the servant checked the cabin after 1.30 pm, it was empty - the only ofther way out of the cabin was the porthole, which was not big enough to accidently fall out of.  He had been suffering previously in Batavia and his suite believe that he was over come by "some mental disturbance".  This information was reported in the Singapore Free Press of October 16, 1888

Offline XJaseyRaeX

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2008, 08:50:49 PM »
I was wondering if there is any information about them and their children Christina, Dorothea, Karl, and Rainer?
Also are there any photographs of them?

I am.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2008, 08:44:58 AM »
The book Royals and the Reich (which is discussed on this forum) has a good deal of information on Christoph. Sophie has information in the Greek section under the thread she shares with her sisters and also photos in the Queen Olga's granddaughters thread. There are possibly some photos of Christoph in the thread on his mother, "Mossy".
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2008, 01:21:04 PM »
Indeed...They are quite private and not a lot of photos taken of them...unless it was afamily event or wedding.  :(

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #67 on: July 02, 2008, 10:47:50 PM »

You will find information about the family in my book, Queen Victoria's descendants.  The Inheritors of Alexander the Great by George Tantzos has numerous family photos (and many of these photos are in my private collection.)

I was wondering if there is any information about them and their children Christina, Dorothea, Karl, and Rainer?
Also are there any photographs of them?
Author of Queen Victoria's Descendants,
& publisher of Royal Book News.
Visit my blog, Royal Musings  http://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/

Offline Lena Marie

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 03, 2008, 03:12:38 PM »
I need photos of Christoph of Hesse ::)

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #69 on: July 03, 2008, 03:25:22 PM »
I'd check the Royals and the Reich book. It had the most photos of Christoph I think I've seen gathered together.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Norbert

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 03, 2008, 05:14:33 PM »
can anyone confirm that their grand daughter Marina  has married Lorenzo Salviati?

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 04, 2008, 01:46:11 AM »
Not sure...

I think the Hesse archievs in Schloss Farenerie in Fulda would have lots of Christoph, other than the family that is... ;)

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #72 on: July 23, 2008, 11:49:55 AM »

They broke up years ago.

can anyone confirm that their grand daughter Marina  has married Lorenzo Salviati?
Author of Queen Victoria's Descendants,
& publisher of Royal Book News.
Visit my blog, Royal Musings  http://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/

Offline Gabriella

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 25, 2008, 03:15:21 PM »
I need photos of Christoph of Hesse ::)

Christoph and Sophie with Cecile and Georg-Donatus. The picture was made after their engagements.

The wedding picture of Christoph and Sophie:

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 26, 2008, 02:35:50 PM »
I think both in Hugo Vickers book on Alice...I think. Look at Tiny's tiara, it was Malfalda's tiara ! She must have borrowed it !