Author Topic: Earthquake hits New Zealand,over 65 casualties  (Read 4264 times)

Offline Lucien

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Courtier
    • View Profile
Earthquake hits New Zealand,over 65 casualties
« on: February 22, 2011, 11:03:49 AM »
A 6.3 earthquake hit New Zealand today,especially the South Island seems badly hit with
immens damage and at least 65 dead and more wounded in the Christchurch area.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12540345

Je Maintiendrai

Offline Kiwi

• View Profile
Re: Earthquake hits New Zealand,over 65 casualties
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 02:19:09 PM »
The devastation in Christchurch is horrific, shallower quakes that caused much more damage than the September quakes.  We weren’t affected where we live, a few hours north.  The death toll has been revised downwards, from in teh 60s to in the 30s, for now; but about 100 people are currently unaccounted for, and crews are continuing to receive cell phone calls. shouts, and pounding from people trapped in buildings since over 20 hours ago.   

This new quake compounds stress on an already hurting region, thought to have been on the mend from a mining disaster with 29 deaths, the September quakes, and floods, cyclones, and fires in Australia.  But, Kiwis share an indomitable spirit, and everyone just pitches in.

Kiwi

Robert_Hall

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 02:51:30 PM »
My sympathy goes to  you Kiwis. Great spirit indeed! I actually have a  sort of friend in Christchurch [ she is the mother-in-law of my best friend in the UK] but we have not heard from here. I am in San Francisco, so know how this sort of thing goes.  We are used to earthquakes and the delays in getting communications back to normal.
 Best wishes for a speedy recovery. And the ensuing investigation. We are a bit puzzled why newer buildings fell, when older ones stood.

Offline Victor

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 01:47:42 AM »
Robert- a number of the old public buildings in ChCh have been earthquake stregthened-so stood up quite well in the quake 6 months ago,but have now crumbled.The  Gothic Anglican Cathedral lost it's tower and the more classical Catholic Cathedral,where we had my lovely old Aunts funeral two years ago,has lost part of it's facade.
'The world breaks all of us but some of us are stronger in the broken places.'Ernest Hemingway.

Offline Lucien

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Courtier
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 09:43:54 AM »
The devastation in Christchurch is horrific, shallower quakes that caused much more damage than the September quakes.  We weren’t affected where we live, a few hours north.  The death toll has been revised downwards, from in teh 60s to in the 30s, for now; but about 100 people are currently unaccounted for, and crews are continuing to receive cell phone calls. shouts, and pounding from people trapped in buildings since over 20 hours ago.   

This new quake compounds stress on an already hurting region, thought to have been on the mend from a mining disaster with 29 deaths, the September quakes, and floods, cyclones, and fires in Australia.  But, Kiwis share an indomitable spirit, and everyone just pitches in.

Kiwi

I'm sorry Kiwi,but the death toll rose to over 75 today.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12547853

Je Maintiendrai

Offline Lucien

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Courtier
    • View Profile
Earthquake hits New Zealand,over 144 casualties
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 11:57:55 PM »
With many casualties and over 200 still missing,my heart and thoughts commute between the Middle East and New Zealand's South Island.
I wish all strength and resilience to pitch in as you put it Kiwi.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12586274

On a personal note,the eldest of my two brothers arrived from New Zealand on thursday with his family of five after travelling Oz and New Zealand for the past 7 months during a sabbatical.They had just left Christchurch on sunday heading north to take the ferry to Wellington.They've come to know many people in the area over the months and are saddened at the thought of the devastation,the loss of lives and what people have to go through.They felt the earthquake while near Auckland and were shocked to hear the effect of it.Sorry for saying so,but I'm glad they returned safely.They've been very lucky.
Je Maintiendrai

Offline Lucien

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Courtier
    • View Profile
Earthquake hits New Zealand,over 65 casualties
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 02:50:55 AM »
A two minute silence was held exactly a week after the quake:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12600213

Je Maintiendrai