Author Topic: Why isn't there more nostalgia for life in ancien-régime France?  (Read 8664 times)

Offline heavensent

• Graf
    • View Profile
Re: Why isn't there more nostalgia for life in ancien-régime France?
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2011, 02:55:01 PM »
Got to say it does look  magnificent now,  and Versailles survived the mobs too
( it could so easily have been looted and burned down  !)
The French have go so much to be grateful for  and one awesome heritage in history and architecture !

mari12

Re: Why isn't there more nostalgia for life in ancien-régime France?
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2011, 06:33:59 AM »
And why then don't we see more depictions of French small town-life à la the BBC's "Cranford"?

On the Ancien Regime.....There are Historians and Writers who love this period and specialize in it. I know I love it!  But We don't see anything on Masterpiece Theatre or as many Movies that direction in the U.S. or U.K. Market (english speaking). I found a few "Affair of the Necklace" "The Scarlet Pimpernel" "Tale of two Cities" "Jefferson in Paris" "Reign of Terror" "Marie Antoinette" This site covers films made during the Louis XIV period and I haven't gone through it but its divided between Historical and Historical fiction  http://http://www.louis-xiv.de/index.php?id=84 

Roberto Rossellini did some French TV productions on The Rise to Power of Louis XIV in 1965 but as to small town life like Cranford I am sure it could be sold if you had certain famous Writers or Screen Writers involved. There seem to be some really good French films if you speak french over the years! But usually the Court takes center stage because Louis XIV made sure Versailles was the place to be and other Kings followed suit! There are some HF writers doing some things with rural doings but still mostly the Characters end up at Versailles!  As to Books they are in such a changing period right now that Publishers are in a quagmire between Hard Cover, Soft Cover and E-Books! So those of us that love this period just read along and discuss it on sites like this!
Mari