Author Topic: The Last Duchess/My Anastasia  (Read 7641 times)

Offline Olga Bernice

• Graf
  • <-*Photo Courtesy: GD Ally*
    • View Profile
    • Colors Of The Rose
Re: The Last Duchess/My Anastasia
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2011, 09:09:07 PM »
Interesting! I don't know if there is another book in the series. I also didn't know it was on amazon.com! Apologies!

PS GD Andrea, I think it probably is supposed to be Dunia - it doesn't look at all like OTMA.
Mashka . . . Olya . . . Tatya . . . Nastya

Many thanks to Laura Mabee for the banner!!

"We played on the swing, that was when I roared with laughter, the fall was so wonderful! Indeed!"
ANR, May 7, 1918

Offline Padawan Ryan

• View Profile
    • Padawan of the V'tosh Ka'tur
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2011, 10:30:13 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/0439961017/ref=dp_image_text_0?ie=UTF8&n=283155&s=books
Here's the cover art! And I must say, looks nothing like Anastasia or any of OTMA.  ::) But it is lovely. (maybe it's supposed to be this Dunia character, though.) Beneath the Crown seems to be a series, if you search with that as a keyword, novels about Lady Jane Grey and Marie Antoinette's daughter Marie Therese come up too. By the way, it is on Amazon.com, if you search "beneath the crown".  :)
I wonder if there are any more books in that series other than those three.  ???

The series is only those three, I have all three and enjoyed them all - The Princess in the Tower, the one about Therese (Marie Therese Charlotte, Marie Antoinette's daughter) is my favourite. The Last Duchess was the first I bought though, because of my interest in the Romanovs. The Nine Days Queen was good, too, but a better book about Lady Jane Grey is Innocent Traitor by Alison Wier, though that's more graphic and directed more at adults than children.
Padawan of the V'tosh Ka'tur. Social Work graduate, History student.

Offline s.v.markov

• Boyar
  • Sergei Vladimirovich Markov
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2011, 02:55:09 AM »
Sunny, I agree with Laura that 'The Summer Day Is Done' by R.T.Stevens is a good, long read with some lovely descriptions of the last years before the revolution. I found the accounts of Olga's 16th Birthday Ball at Livadia quite beautiful. Pure fiction of course, but entertaining for fans like me! Another novel I quite enjoyed many years ago was 'The Snow Mountain' by Catherine Gavin. Again, Olga is the central character, but there's a lot of political stuff as well. Oh, I nearly forgot.....avoid 'The Tsarina's Daughter' ~ trust those of us who tried it!! I'll PM you with a couple of scans of the two books I mentioned above.

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Tell me the truth, monsieur
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2011, 05:24:26 AM »
I agree with  s.v.markov 's assessments...'The Summer Day Is Done ' and " Snow Mountain" ....both quite diffrent from each other , but both  good and well written in their way  ...I find the  " Snow Mountain" s depiction of the family's finally days remarkable. In other places it veers into fiction,( its a novel after all )  but that part reads real

"Give my love to all who remember me."

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline bestfriendsgirl

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2011, 08:03:23 AM »
I just finished The Snow Mountain and thouroghly enjoyed it. I've ordered The Summer Day is Done and splurged on expedidted shipping so I should get it soon.