Author Topic: How accurate is the movie "Mary Queen of Scot  (Read 30355 times)

helenazar

Re: How accurate is the movie "Mary Queen of
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2005, 08:14:56 AM »
... I think "Elizabeth R" was  a much better production, despite the fact that it had much less money and resources spent on it.    
Yes, absolutely!

Offline ChristineM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2005, 01:02:58 PM »
Dear Elizabeth

The difference in budget between 'Elizabeth R' and the movie 'Mary, Queen of Scots was the equivalent of a Queen's ransom.  

'Elizabeth R' - a jewel in the BBC's crown - an organisation for which, once upon a time, I was very proud to work - you know, in those good old days before it was overtaken by a diet of, firstly, cookery programmes replaced with a jaded menu of house buying, house building, house restoration, house renovation, house decorating and house furnishing.   Is there anything I've left out?  Yes, I've just remembered - (questionable) gardening.  The good news is, that in advance of the renewal of the Charter, the new Chairman of the Board of Governors and the Management have announced a return to the core of that Charter -  'To Educate, To Inform and To Entertain'.   However, I wouldn't hold my breath.

(Sorry FA for slipping - slightly -  'off-thread' but as I am a Moderator! on this subject, that probably entitles you to be specially firm with me).

tsaria

Glebb

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2005, 01:13:39 PM »
Loved the movie Mary Queen of Scots.
I can't say much more about accuracy than has already been said.  I do think it's important  to know that though in the film the cousins met twice, in reality they never met face to face.

I adore ELIZABETH R.  I also love SIX WIVES OF HENRY VIII and I CLAUDIUS.  

Now if only I could get my hands on BBC's REBECCA!

helenazar

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2005, 03:16:00 PM »

I also love SIX WIVES OF HENRY VIII and I CLAUDIUS.  

Ditto!!!

Offline ChristineM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2005, 03:22:38 PM »
WARNING - off topic - SORRY - but there's no other place and its only a comment.

We tried for years to get the BBC to repeat 'Fall of Eagles'.   We were told it was not possible because of residuals (percentage of original fees for the actors).   Now it is available on DVD.  

Sadly, I have to tell you that in days gone by everything was much bulkier - separate tracks for sound and film, endless cans and so on, therefore due to lack of space, a lot had to be destroyed.   Its heartbreaking, but a lot of what was taken for granted is now looked back upon as being works of merit.

tsaria

helenazar

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2005, 05:53:37 PM »
We tried for years to get the BBC to repeat 'Fall of Eagles'.   We were told it was not possible because of residuals (percentage of original fees for the actors).   Now it is available on DVD.  

Another great production, definitely up there with the others mentioned. There is thread about it under the "Films" topic. http://hydrogen.pallasweb.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=films_cat;action=display;num=1091088866
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by helenazar »

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2005, 06:18:42 AM »
Dear Elizabeth

The difference in budget between 'Elizabeth R' and the movie 'Mary, Queen of Scots was the equivalent of a Queen's ransom.  

'Elizabeth R' - a jewel in the BBC's crown - an organisation for which, once upon a time, I was very proud to work - you know, in those good old days before it was overtaken by a diet of, firstly, cookery programmes replaced with a jaded menu of house buying, house building, house restoration, house renovation, house decorating and house furnishing.   Is there anything I've left out?  Yes, I've just remembered - (questionable) gardening.  The good news is, that in advance of the renewal of the Charter, the new Chairman of the Board of Governors and the Management have announced a return to the core of that Charter -  'To Educate, To Inform and To Entertain'.   However, I wouldn't hold my breath.

(Sorry FA for slipping - slightly -  'off-thread' but as I am a Moderator! on this subject, that probably entitles you to be specially firm with me).

tsaria

Absolutely.  The BBC does still manage to produce some good contemporary and costume drama (not enough of the latter for my taste).
The 'Mary' film did have a lovely romantic feel to it, although I am not sure that Dauphin and Dauphine ever lived at Chenonceux, the beautiful château that had belonged to Diane de Poitiers.  
It is interesting to read Jean Hunnisett's comments about the costumes for 'Elizabeth R'; although the historical accuracy of the excecution was unquestionable, the use of materials was imaginative and cheap.  I don't imagine that the same considerations were applied to the film.
Glebb, which 'Rebecca' was that?  I vaguely remember seeing it and being utterly disappointed that it had none of the glamour of the Hitchcock (and before you say it, yes I know that there was a surfeit of glamour in that film and it may not have been appropriate - I still love it!)
How about 'the Pallisers' and 'Barchester Chronicles'.  'The Buccaneers', anyone?
'For a galant spirit there can never be defeat'....Wallis Windsor

'The important things is not what they think of me, but what I think of them.'......QV

Elisabeth

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2005, 07:35:29 AM »
I never had the opportunity to see "Barchester Towers," but oh, "The Pallisers" and "The Buccaneers"! Great series, both of them. They're both available on DVD now, are they not? And while we're mentioning great BBC series, how about "Upstairs, Downstairs"? Remember the dinner party the Bellamys gave for Edward VII?

Offline ChristineM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2005, 04:36:12 PM »
Martyn, according to references read years ago and  to literature at Chenonceux, they did visit.   So did I, just to see it.   It is marvellous.

tsaria

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2005, 08:23:08 AM »
Martyn, according to references read years ago and  to literature at Chenonceux, they did visit.   So did I, just to see it.   It is marvellous.

tsaria

Aologies. They did.  I think that Diane de Poitiers was obliged to cede the château to the crown (along with most of her jewels) after the death of Henri II, by which I mean that she was obliged to hand them over to appease Catherine de Médecis.  Apparently she was given the Château of Chaumont instead (not such a bad deal perhaps?).  Apparently Catherine had wild parties in the gallery over the river and Mary and her young husband spent some time there before his untimely death.
How lucky you are to have been there Tsaria.  For me this château epitomises the glamour and beauty of the Loire châteaux - its connection with Mary makes it doubly romantic!
'For a galant spirit there can never be defeat'....Wallis Windsor

'The important things is not what they think of me, but what I think of them.'......QV

Silja

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2005, 11:08:08 AM »
And while we're mentioning great BBC series, how about "Upstairs, Downstairs"? Remember the dinner party the Bellamys gave for Edward VII?

I love Upstairs, Downstairs!!!

By the way, there hasn't been a DVD release of Elizabeth R yet, has there?

bluetoria

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2005, 11:29:23 AM »
 :D "Upstairs Downstairs"!!! James Bellamy was my childhood heart throb....I went to see the actor (Simon Williams) open a shop in Leeds & was really disappointed because he wouldn't autograph my book as James Bellamy.
I saw the programme again recently and though I still love it, I couldn't help wondering what I saw in him! Still, the errors of youth ;)

helenazar

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2005, 11:46:04 AM »

By the way, there hasn't been a DVD release of Elizabeth R yet, has there?

Oh yes, it has been released on DVD a while ago:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005LC1D/qid=1105983883/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/102-5938011-3011318?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846

Silja

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2005, 11:59:13 AM »
No, I actually  meant the region 2 DVD, but thanks anyway.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Silja »

katieann

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2005, 10:26:33 AM »
Mary, Queen of Scots - the Kate Hepburn version is a scream.  It's completely unintentional of course - but the back projection of the day is laughable, the dialogue is dreadful and even the blessed Kate comes across as a bit wooden.  Mary, Queen of Scots - the Vanessa Redgrave version - is all froth and no substance.  Think "Braveheart" with frocks and you've got it right.  I'm behind an earlier correspondent who asked why Hollywood tinkers with history.  I've got no valid explanation - but it puts b*ms on cinema seats - and that's what seems to count.

When it comes to remembering cinema - remember to forget - forget the fact that Mary and Elizabeth never met; forget the fact that in Braveheart the Princess who alleges she's pregnant with Wallace's child would have been about 3 in real life; forget also that the American's didn't grab the submarine and break the Enigma code (U571)- and the list goes on.  Cinema has always skirted issues: who was it that said the truth shouldn't get in the way of a good story?  Goldwyn??

Fall of Eagles was a brilliant series.  Ditto for Upstairs Downstairs, I Claudius (my total favourite), The Six Wives of Henry VIII.  The recently shown (on cable) Mary and Elizabeth (hosted and written by David Starkey) was great - hope everyone gets to see that too.  He's also done programmes on Mary and Edward Tudor - again, brilliant.

If you want accuracy - go for the history books.  So far they've laid off the Romanovs - though I do remember seeing an Anastasia film with Amy Irving that was dire - and of course the cartoon version too.  While the Bergman film's not accurate - I thought it was well done, beautifully acted, and quite well written.

So, in case you haven't already guessed tinkering with history is a pet peeve of mine.  Now, as it's Friday afternoon and the weekend beckons, it's time for me to get off my soapbox and head home!  Have a good weekend everyone.