Author Topic: RE The Wallpaper Colour Scheme in OTMA's Room in the Ipatiev House  (Read 2960 times)

Offline GrigoriR

• View Profile
I am seeking an accurate description of the colour scheme of the wallpaper in OTMA's bedroom.  I have read elsewhere on this site that it was green, pink, and red; the black and white photos of that room clearly show the floral bouquet motif, together with apparent iridescence in the geometric patterning, possibly a metallic gold colour.  I am working on an historical painting, and I wish to get the details exact (as opposed to just being a classic anal retentive, not that the two are mutually exclusive).

It has been stated that the wallpaper in OTMA's room, as it was a ladies' dressing room, was far less somber than in much of the house.  I wonder if pink was the dominant background colour; green was probably the most prevalent wallpaper colour of the Victorian era in Europe and America, the arsenic  base being cheap and in plentiful supply, and was likely found in some of the main rooms.  Pale green would have also been well suited as a background, but the result would look more like something for a dining room, as opposed to a dressing room, at least in my opinion.

In any event, if there are any very old Bolsheviks with very long memories out there--or at least someone who knows things like this--I would be delighted to receive an informative and timely reply.  God bless the memory of the Romanovs--Passion Bearers, and very decent people.  

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
Re: RE The Wallpaper Colour Scheme in OTMA's Room in the Ipatiev House
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 08:19:23 AM »
From page 110 of The Fate of the Romanovs:

The middle room, lit by a single, tall arched window, had originally served as a dressing room; when the prisoners arrived, it became the grand duchesses' bedroom. If the heavy, masculine atmosphere of the study, drawing room, and dining room reflected the taste of Nicholas Ipatiev, this and the adjoining room mirrored that of his wife. Two corner stoves warmed the room, with its parquet floor and walls covered in pin, red, and green floral paper. The furnishings, too, were simpler: in one corner stood a tall pier glass, with a table, bookcase, and several Biedermeier and Bentwood chairs scattered across the Oriental carpet. A fire screen, painted with flowers, stood in front of one of the stoves. From the ceiling hung another of Ipatiev's Italian purchases: an electric chandelier, decorated with clusters of green bronze leaves and three handblown, tulip-shaped shades of red and white Venetian glass.
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline MademoiselleAndrea

• Knyaz
  • Take me as you find me, all my fears and failures.
    • View Profile
    • Past A La Mode: A Presentation and Celebration of Historical Fashion
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 10:18:05 AM »
What a beautiful sounding room! It sounds fancier than OTMA's bedroom in Tobolsk.
Good luck with your painting, 'GrigoriR'.  :)
When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything You gave me". --Erma Bombeck

Offline Sunny

• Knyaz
  • Царь Николай, твоё имя - любовь
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 10:48:57 AM »
I really think everything in ipatev house was simple but cosy; it would have been a very well furnished home.
Please visit my site
http://thelostworldofnaotmaa.wordpress.com/

Banner courtesy of GD Ally

Offline GrigoriR

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 03:52:02 AM »
Cozy it was, even by Russian standards; they did, and do, love their massive tile stoves, double windows, vodka, and other things that promote warmth, plus the various interior photos show it was liberally furnished with overstuffed ottomans, velvet hangings, and the like.  There was even a modern bathroom--it was built in 1897 with state of the art conveniences by somebody even richer than Ipatiev, who was himself a member of the Duma and a very cosmopolitan individual (his brother Vladimir Ipatiev was the chief of Russia's chemical weapons program in WW1, and was one of the top chemists in the world during his years in America, from 1930-52). 
OTMA's bedroom is depicted on most floor plans as roughly square, built on the supporting walls of the murder room downstairs directly below; one door leads north to the dining room, and another east to the room shared by the Tsar, Tsarina, and Alexei.  There is at least one floor plan out there--I do not remember the site--that shows it more accurately; the room had the northeastern and northwest corners cut off at a slant and in each of those corners stood a massive fireplace or tile stove, with the business end hidden around one side--facing into the room on the broad angled side was simply a wall, with an ash grate at the bottom.  This latter feature can be clearly seen in the ubiquitous photograph of the bedroom that shows the ash pile of the Duchesses' clothing in the center of the floor and the chamberpot sitting poignantly in the background.