Author Topic: "The Succession Prospects of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna 1895-1918"  (Read 7807 times)

Offline Suzanne

• Graf
    • View Profile
    • Carolyn Harris Royal Historian
I am pleased to announce the publication of my first peer reviewed scholarly article "The Succession Prospects of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna 1895-1918" in Canadian Slavonic Papers, Volume 54, Number 1-2, March-June, 2012. http://www.ualberta.ca/~csp/index.html

The Abstract is currently available on my website http://www.royalhistorian.com/the-succession-prospects-of-grand-duchess-olga-nikolaevna-1895-1918-now-available-from-canadian-slavonic-papers/

Best Wishes

Carolyn Suzanne Harris
www.royalhistorian.com

Offline Dru

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Congratulations on the publication of your article, Suzanne!  It sounds very interesting, and I'd love to read it :)

Offline edubs31

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Yeah Suzanne nice going!

I'll be interested to hear you take on the topic if and when it's available to read in full...
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...

Offline Jen_94

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • GrandRoyalPalace
Sounds very exciting! I cannot wait to read this. :)

Offline Russian Art Lover

• View Profile
    • RusArtNet
Congratulations, I enjoy visiting your website very much and reading all your work.

A shame Olga did not marry Dmitry Pavlovich, as she might have then also been banished to Persia in the aftermath of Rasputin's murder, and hence saved.

I wonder if Olga's succession prospects had been more prominent or definite, would that have made certain circles within the family more pro-active in removing N&A circa 1916? I am not suggesting Olga would have wanted this at all in any way, I am thinking more along the lines of Alexander I in 1801 or Ekaterina Pavlovna in 1812... If Olga had married Dmitry Pavlovich before WWI, I think that would have made a very convincing case for an alternative to N&A as Russia lurched from one disaster to another with N away at the front as commander-in-chief presiding over a disintegrating front and A at Tsarskoe Selo firing ministers and spending all her time with "Grisha" and "Anya."
www.rusartnet.com
The Premier Site for Russian Culture

Offline Eurohistory

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Eurohistory.com
Why would Olga succeed when there were plenty of Grand Dukes to go around?

The scenario contemplated by the Fundamental Laws indeed allowed for female succession, but only after the last male dynast was dead, which is exactly what happened after the death of Wladimir Kirillovich in 1992?

A scenario in which Olga Nikolaievna succeeds falls, I must say, into the realm of fantasy royalty.

Best wishes, Arturo Beéche
--
Arturo Beéche, Publisher
http://erhj.blogspot.com
European Royal History Journal
Kensington House Books
6300 Kensington Ave.
East Richmond Heights, CA 94805 USA
510/236-1730
books@eurohistory.com
http://www.eurohistory.com

Offline edubs31

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Furthermore I think it would have been rendered meaningless. The revolution was coming fast and furious regardless of which monarch was head of state. There is much focus on what tool place in the few years leading up to the revolution and the Tsar's abdication...as if the start of WWI was when the point of no return had been reached. But I think the damage had been done years earlier (although admittedly Alix sure did make a mess of things and Nicholas seemed rather oblivious). A Dimitry/Olga led Empire likely wouldve been toppled as swiftly as the one under the reign of Nicholas & Alexandra.
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...

Offline Suzanne

• Graf
    • View Profile
Thanks for all your comments. The current issue of Canadian Slavonic Papers has been sent to subscribers and the table of contents and abstracts of the current issue should be up on their website next week and available through library services at that time. Numerous university and colleges libraries subscribe to the journal. Subscriptions, issues and stand alone articles are also available for purchase from Canadian Slavonic Papers directly. I look forward to getting feedback from all the Russian history enthusiasts on this forum.

Offline Suzanne

• Graf
    • View Profile
Re: "The Succession Prospects of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna 1895-1918"
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 08:54:35 PM »
The complete article is available on the Canadian Slavonic Papers website

https://www.artsrn.ualberta.ca/csparxiv/members/Issues/2012_54_1_2/2012_54_1-2_61_Harris.pdf

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2013, 09:48:09 AM »
Just saw this, thanks for sharing!

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2013, 10:05:21 AM »
I actually wish I came across your paper earlier, as I discuss this topic in my book briefly. Good job!

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2013, 10:09:26 AM »
Fascinating indeed.  Spiridovitch specifically mentions the Ukaze granting Olga succession, drafted by Tchcheglovitov, and I've always believed he was correct.  Thanks!

Offline Suzanne

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2013, 10:21:39 AM »
Thanks!

Offline Ilana

• Knyaz
  • I love any info on VMH
    • View Profile
    • Queen Victoria's Granddaughters
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2013, 10:25:28 AM »
Congratulations on your publication.  Well done!
So long and thanks for all the fish

Offline Terence

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2013, 12:10:50 AM »
Well done, a very interesting read.

I think there is one spot where a correction is needed, if I'm reading it right (and I'm tired right now).  Page 74 has
 "According to the male line of succession,
Mikhail’s replacement as theoretical regent of Russia, in the event of Aleksei’s
ascension before the age of twenty-one, should have been Nicholas’s cousin,
Grand Duke Kirill Vladimirovich, the eldest son of his brother, Grand Duke
Vladimir, who had died in 1909, and Grand Duchess Maria Pavlovna."

Shouldn't that read "the eldest son of his father's brother"?

T